There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Tinyo Birmingham male back a couple of years back
Credit:- Justin Grubb

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-03-2020, 02:35 AM)Slayerd Wrote: The thing is that there is a significant difference between Nhenha and Tinyo. Nhenha is much larger. I think Nhenha is the heaviest, then DM, then the Fourways pride male, then between Othawa and Tinyo. The Fourways pride males are also pretty big and the 2nd of the 2 Southern Avocas is pretty big too so I'm not sure where to put him.

I've seen too little of Fourways to judge their size, but they do look quite big.

For me the ranking would be:

1. DM
2. HB (despite he lost muscle mass he is still very tall) 
3. Nhenha
4. Othawa male
5. Rest
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Who is regarded as the largest lion in kruger including sabi sands?
The leeubron males look huge from what i have seen

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-03-2020, 02:35 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Who is regarded as the largest lion in kruger including sabi sands?

Well its hard to compare them because we dont see them side by side, its pretty much speculation. 

But yea Leeubron males are one of the biggest thats for sure.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-03-2020, 02:35 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Who is regarded as the largest lion in kruger including sabi sands?

It is impossible to compare. The only really good way to compare lions size are guide's opinions which seen direct lions on live, but obviously there is no guid who seen all the lions in Kruger and can tell which one was the most impressive.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Hairy tummy Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-03-2020, 03:51 PM by Hairy tummy )

Thanks guys. Which are the most impressive in your opinion?
The mjejane males look impressive from seeing the recent videos
I love old hairy belly footage, he was such a beast

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

If I would be to bet then I would say Charleston male, but it is just a guess of course.

Georgia Dreadlocks Online

(08-03-2020, 12:21 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 02:35 AM)Slayerd Wrote: The thing is that there is a significant difference between Nhenha and Tinyo. Nhenha is much larger. I think Nhenha is the heaviest, then DM, then the Fourways pride male, then between Othawa and Tinyo. The Fourways pride males are also pretty big and the 2nd of the 2 Southern Avocas is pretty big too so I'm not sure where to put him.

I've seen too little of Fourways to judge their size, but they do look quite big.

For me the ranking would be:

1. DM
2. HB (despite he lost muscle mass he is still very tall) 
3. Nhenha
4. Othawa male
5. Rest

I agree with you, DM is probably biggest, Mohawk compare with him looks like sub adult male (last i see them together on Buffalo kill last year).  HB - prime ages  always was in  good shapes , But for me he was smaller than Ginger. and when I saw HB with Nkuhuma male he not look like big size male lion. But he is definitely bigger than Bboys(i know Nsuku was smallest of Bboys but, compare with HB he was to small ).
1 user Likes Dreadlocks's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-03-2020, 06:19 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-03-2020, 04:22 PM)Dreadlocks Wrote: I agree with you, DM is probably biggest, Mohawk compare with him looks like sub adult male (last i see them together on Buffalo kill last year).  HB - prime ages  always was in  good shapes , But for me he was smaller than Ginger. and when I saw HB with Nkuhuma male he not look like big size male lion. But he is definitely bigger than Bboys(i know Nsuku was smallest of Bboys but, compare with HB he was to small ).

Well i think thats an exaggeration to say that Mohawk is subadult compared to DM. 

Pics of all three Avocas around 2 yrs ago:

Since that DM definitely put some mass and weight,he is the biggest and tallest, 
but size difference between all 3 is not that large as some people think , DM has the largest mane, that too is a factor why he looks that impressive between his brothers.

When we talking about the size of males, differences between some of this males are very small, barely noticeble even if they stand side by side..

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Sub adult from Talamati pride

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(08-03-2020, 03:48 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Thanks guys. Which are the most impressive in your opinion?
The mjejane males look impressive from seeing the recent videos
I love old hairy belly footage, he was such a beast

For me it would be Zig zag Mbiri and the older Mbiri male (Nsemani Pride). Magnificent, regal beasts.
2 users Like Rabubi's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

HB has lost way too much muscle mass to be considered bigger than Nhenha. Probably Mohawk weighs as much as him. I think Nhenha is relevant to DM if not slightly larger. Also whilst DM is tall, Nhenha is one of the most lengthy lions around. A guide said he was 2+m in length.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-03-2020, 09:26 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-03-2020, 08:31 PM)Slayerd Wrote: HB has lost way too much muscle mass to be considered bigger than Nhenha. Probably Mohawk weighs as much as him. I think Nhenha is relevant to DM if not slightly larger. Also whilst DM is tall, Nhenha is one of the most lengthy lions around. A guide said he was 2+m in length.

Well we need to define "biggest".. HB is still prob tallest lion in Sabi Sands.. Is he the most "massive"? At this point no..

If we go just for overall, then yea, it is DM, Nhenha and Othawa male, but HB is prob taller than all of them or atleast as DM.

For me the lion who look the lenghtiest is Othawa male by far, that boy has long body..

Did anybody ask some rangers about the Othawa male size compared to Nhenha? Othawa male might be overlooked a bit, he is big.

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A lioness savoring her fresh kill while she looks on towards her approaching cubs, coming to share in her bounty. An epic sighting at Londolozi!
Credit: Lauren Cohen

3 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDbSZq0A--L/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

The lioness of the Eyrefield pride and her daughter, resting in the Sand River right below @andbeyondkirkmanskamp.

In the past few months we have not seen much of this pride, however we have seen many tracks suggesting that they are still around. The youngster is now over a year old, and the older lioness still looks in great condition.
Perhaps if luck is on their side, they may succeed in rebuilding this iconic pride in the near future.
--------------------------------------------
Video credit:-@joshvdploeg
3 users Like T I N O's post