There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-30-2020, 03:33 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 03:31 PM)Potato Wrote: Nkhoro Bush Lodge

Story of the Kruger males.

In the last 2-3 years, we have had some visits form two unknown male lions crossing over from the Kruger National Park onto Nkorho and our  traversing  area. These males have probably never seen any vehicles in their life, and for that reason they kept a low profile away from us.

Luckily during this time we have had some great  sightings of them around. Thankful for the Torchwood pride, who are luckily habituated with our vehicles, these males are slowly starting to get used to us. In time, if we treat them the same way we treat other animals with the vehicles, these males will gain our trust.
In the last two months, we were lucky enough to have had these males in our area and we could see a huge improvement in their behavior towards us. I really do hope that these males settle into the territory along with the Torchwood pride and that we can have a solid pride of lions.

*This image is copyright of its original author

So it looks like Torchwood pride has some pride males which are not Avoca males.

Thats the Fourways pride males.
So this 2 control large area east of Sabi Sands, from north of Sabi Sands and all the way to the south almost.
U sure? That one does not have this characteristic smudge on his nose.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-30-2020, 06:04 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-30-2020, 04:10 PM)Potato Wrote: U sure? That one does not have this characteristic smudge on his nose.

Yes, im 100% sure.

Thats this male:

This is smudge nosed, his partner:

Also, i think this male was seen near Hamiltons Camp (which is not far from Torchwoods pride territory) , month and a half a go:

But he was in company of this male:

They reported that they where never seen in that area before and where very skittish.

So they might have 3rd coalition partner..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-30-2020, 09:43 PM by T I N O )

Styx pride lionesses 
Credit:- (1) and (2) Greg Heasman, (3) (4) Louise Murray

3 users Like T I N O's post

United States sik94 Online
Sikander Hayat

(07-30-2020, 04:39 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 04:10 PM)Potato Wrote: U sure? That one does not have this characteristic smudge on his nose.

Yes, im 100% sure.

Thats this male:

Also, i think this male was seen near Hamiltons Camp (which is not far from Torchwoods pride territory) , month and a half a go:

They reported that they where never seen in that area before and where very skittish.

These guys look mean. They would do damage in Sabi Sands if they decide to come west.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-30-2020, 08:23 PM)sik94 Wrote: These guys look mean. They would do damage in Sabi Sands if they decide to come west.

Well with atleast 2 prides under their control, and they still dont have cubs with Torchwoods, theres no reason for them to push further west anytime soon.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Sikander Hayat

(07-30-2020, 08:30 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 08:23 PM)sik94 Wrote: These guys look mean. They would do damage in Sabi Sands if they decide to come west.

Well with atleast 2 prides under their control, and they still dont have cubs with Torchwoods, theres no reason for them to push further west anytim

Have the torchwoods moved east into kruger?
1 user Likes sik94's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-30-2020, 09:46 PM)sik94 Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 08:30 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Well with atleast 2 prides under their control, and they still dont have cubs with Torchwoods, theres no reason for them to push further west anytim

Have the torchwoods moved east into kruger?
The pride sometimes is seen with the border of the KNP and Sabi Sands... but apparently they have split-up in groups

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-30-2020, 04:39 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Yes, im 100% sure.

Thats this male:

Correct!
the male is the Fourways pride male too.
So they are dominant over two prides, Torchwood and Fourways!

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-30-2020, 09:46 PM)sik94 Wrote: Have the torchwoods moved east into kruger?
(07-30-2020, 09:48 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: The pride sometimes is seen with the border of the KNP and Sabi Sands... but apparently they have split-up in groups

Torchwoods main territory is on the border of northern Sabi Sands, with territory expanding east in Kruger, they can be seen in Nkorho, Torchwood (of which they got name from) and Northeastern MalaMala. 

They are massive pride of 13 adult lionesses and 1 young males, and since half a year ago to and year they are in process of breakeaway.

Torchwood breakeaway is mostly seen in northeastern MalaMala, they consistent of young male and his sisters with 1 older lioness know as "Smudge Nosed" , usually 3-5 lionesses... Some lionesses still move between "main" and "breakeaway" pride.

These males are with "main" pride its seems who are further northeast in Kruger.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

2 Sand River young males with their sister at Kirkmans Kamp :

Sikander Hayat

So the plain camps and these young sand rivers are half-siblings right?
1 user Likes sik94's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-30-2020, 11:34 PM)sik94 Wrote: So the plain camps and these young sand rivers are half-siblings right?

Yeah
both youngest were sired by the same males (Mantimahle)
1 user Likes T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-30-2020, 10:13 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 09:46 PM)sik94 Wrote: Have the torchwoods moved east into kruger?
(07-30-2020, 09:48 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: The pride sometimes is seen with the border of the KNP and Sabi Sands... but apparently they have split-up in groups

Torchwoods main territory is on the border of northern Sabi Sands, with territory expanding east in Kruger, they can be seen in Nkorho, Torchwood (of which they got name from) and Northeastern MalaMala. 

They are massive pride of 13 adult lionesses and 1 young males, and since half a year ago to and year they are in process of breakeaway.

Torchwood breakeaway is mostly seen in northeastern MalaMala, they consistent of young male and his sisters with 1 older lioness know as "Smudge Nosed" , usually 3-5 lionesses... Some lionesses still move between "main" and "breakeaway" pride.

These males are with "main" pride its seems who are further northeast in Kruger.

Daughters of Matimbas and BBoys, Right?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-31-2020, 12:09 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Daughters of Matimbas and BBoys, Right?

Yes, maybe few even older lionesses.

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-31-2020, 12:38 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 12:09 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Daughters of Matimbas and BBoys, Right?

Yes, maybe few even older lionesses.

Great to know.
The BBoys have sired a lot of cubs until now.
1 user Likes T I N O's post