There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Closed 
Orcas killing fully grown adult Great White Sharks

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

(08-16-2019, 01:01 AM)Megalodon Wrote:
Quote:Then there is this:
"In 1997, an orca was seen ramming into a great white shark off the coast of San Francisco. The force of the blow stunned the shark and gave the orca the opportunity to flip the great white over and hold it in that position."

https://allthatsinteresting.com/killer-whales-eat-sharks

I think, that it is this same case, described here:
"And it's a scene captivating marine researchers around the world -- a 20-foot-long (six metre) female Orca killer whale attacking and feeding on a 10-foot (three metre) Great White shark.

My point exactly. This was a case of a full-grown ADULT female Orca that killed a very small 10 ft JUVENILE white shark. How does this prove anything? If anything, it only confirms what I said, that there's not a single case ever recorded of a lone Orca attacking an adult Great white shark. 
Even Dr Ingrid Visser - who's the worlds No.1 top leading Orca expert/authority - stated that when Orca's hunt even the small species of sharks, they're VERY CAUTIOUS and careful about how they do it, because they know just one bite from even a small sharks jaws, can cause bad damage. Now imagine the huge Great whites jaws. Ingrid Visser has observed more Orca predation on sharks than anyone on earth.

@Rishi 

Quote:We don't do beliefs & point-of-views here friend. We deal with facts, statistics & observations.

Yeah, I am stating the facts actually. Its a confirmed fact that there's not a single account ever recorded, of a lone Orca even attacking an adult white shark, let alone killing one.

Quote:You were given a pass for being a new member... & your idea having merit.

Well thanks, at least you acknowledged my idea had merit.

Quote:Incorrect. There's been some semi-confirmed cases, brown bears would still be the safer bet. 

No in fact, your incorrect here. There are CONFIRMED cases of tigers killing large Brown bears. They're known for this. - This has also been stated by undisputed Russian authorities/biologists. And according to YOU, the Brown bear will be the safer bet. Looking at the evidence and statistics, the tiger wins most head-on fights against Brown bears. The tiger is the predator and the Brown bear is the prey. I have the evidence and accounts if you want to see it?...But I'm not here to discuss tigers & bears.

Quote:Hardly enough to negate 2-4 tons of weight advantage, almost double, & Orcas' jaws would still kill just as well. Plus there is the issue of sharks blacking out if half for too long.
Orcas are much much smarter too, equally fast.

Only scenario where a Whitey is fairly likely to prevail is if it initiates an ambush on the lone Orca.

Well, your entitled to your own opinion and I have no problem with that. However, you're completely wrong about the Orca's jaws killing just as good as the Great whites. The Orca's teeth/jaws are designed more for gripping the prey, not tearing out flesh. A white shark has huge serrated knives in its mouth - over 300 of them - which are perfectly designed to tear out huge chunks off flesh with ease. They're specifically designed for this.

These jaws....

*This image is copyright of its original author

Are much inferior to these jaws...

*This image is copyright of its original author

A white sharks jaws literally jump out of its mouth, allowing it to take a much bigger bite out of an animal. - The Orca grips, tugs and then tears, and the Great white's jaws easily tear off a huge chunk of meat/flesh with one single bite! - Thats far more devastating.

Quote:Not tested nor observed facts. Just possibilities.

Actually Rishi, it is an observed fact by the worlds top leading Orca expert; Dr Ingrid Visser, who's witnessed tons of predations. And yes, Orca's only dominate over Great whites because they run in packs. I've never seen nor heard of a lone Orca ever attacking any huge animal, anywhere near 2 tonnes, like white sharks habitually hunt and kill. Orca's rely heavily on cooperation when hunting. This is what makes them intelligent, they know how to get the upper-hand over Great whites using the strength in numbers. 

And again, just so everyone knows....I'm not here to have a heated debate or flame-war with anyone, I'm here just to give my point of view on this topic, thats it.

The pictures you posted are a bit misleading. Orcas are much larger, hence if they were scaled to accurate proportions, the bite radius would appear much more even. Granted, GW's have very impressive dentition, but Orcas
are no slouch in that department. In another thread, I believe it was strongest bites - the Orcas bite force was estimated at 19,000 psi, which would put it in T-Rex territory. Intelligence, is by a country mile, in favor of the Orca.
They have learned how to approach and overcome issues in tackling large and/or dangerous prey. I firmly stand by my opinion that Orcas are clearly the oceans apex predator.
6 users Like chaos's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Orcas killing fully grown adult Great White Sharks - chaos - 08-16-2019, 08:36 PM
Great White Shark & Orca - Megalodon - 08-15-2019, 05:11 AM
RE: Great White Shark vs Orca - Rishi - 08-15-2019, 09:53 AM