There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Closed 
Orcas killing fully grown adult Great White Sharks

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-15-2019, 10:35 PM by Rishi )

(08-15-2019, 08:19 PM)Megalodon Wrote: @Rishi 

Please, can you not edit my posts? I'm just having a friendly discussion and giving my point of view. Thats all. Let people read my analogies and examples and see where I'm coming from.

We don't do beliefs & point-of-views here friend. We deal with facts, statistics & observations.

If the post contains hypothetical & unconfirmed wishful thinkings with not much direct evidence, like these, then Mods delete the whole post outright (same for other unacceptable content).
You were given a pass for being a new member... & your idea having merit.

Explanation:
Quote:For example, in Russia, tigers fight, hunt and kill larger Brown bears. If the size theory that your suggesting is true, then tigers would not hunt another larger predator as powerful as a Brown bear. But the reality is that they do, and do so successfully most of the time.

Incorrect. There's been some semi-confirmed cases, brown bears would still be the safer bet.

Quote:...the white shark also possesses certain physical attributes that can easily help it overcome an Orca in a head-on battle. In fact, in a head-on battle - the shark possesses the more important and vital advantages over an Orca, like teeth, jaws and durability.

Hardly enough to negate 2-4 tons of weight advantage, almost double, & Orcas' jaws would still kill just as well. Plus there is the issue of sharks blacking out if half for too long.
Orcas are much much smarter too, equally fast.

Only scenario where a Whitey is fairly likely to prevail is if it initiates an ambush on the lone Orca.

Quote:Here's the facts that you never acknowledged in my first post:

1) Orca's ALWAYS hunt sharks cooperatively...

2) The white sharks teeth and jaws are far more deadlier...

3) The only reason why Orca's dominate over sharks is due to the clear fact that they run in packs...

Not tested nor observed facts. Just possibilities.

Quote:And Great whites don't struggle with Dolphins. Who told you that?...White sharks will readily predate on full-grown adult Dolphins, Porpoises and even small whales. Great whites even habitually attack and kill giant Bull elephant seals which can weigh anywhere from 2 - 3 tonnes. As heavy as the shark itself. The largest prey I've ever seen a LONE Orca kill is an adult fur seal. Thats nothing. White sharks, single-handedly, hunt and kill FAR LARGER and more dangerous prey than a lone Orca does. 

I sincerely and very strongly believe that the white shark has gotten very wrong and UNFAIR criticism when pitted against Orca's. Barely no one mentions the fact that Orca's primarily attack the much smaller juvenile sharks, and how they AMBUSH and cooperatively hunt them. Most people act like (I'm not saying you) Orca's are single-handedly going around killing full-grown adult white sharks, which is far from reality. 

This thread's name is also wrong. - In the recent South Africa cases, three of the sharks killed were small JUVENILES, and the other two were just medium-sized white sharks. Not one was fully-grown. Great whites grow very slowly over many decades and reach sexual maturity at around 25 years of age, and they continue to grow in size and mass over the years.

For any lone Orca to go head-on with a huge shark like this is extremely, and I mean extremely dangerous: (Potentially suicide)

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author

I also remember, years ago I read a report of an adult false killer whale that was killed by a Great white shark. I'm gonna try and find that account, and if I do, I'll post it on here.

This part is better.
In future, propose the possibility with as much neutral observation data as possible (people can Google, so cherry-picked selective information won't help your case).
3 users Like Rishi's post

Messages In This Thread
Great White Shark & Orca - Megalodon - 08-15-2019, 05:11 AM
RE: Orcas killing fully grown adult Great White Sharks - Rishi - 08-15-2019, 10:21 PM
RE: Great White Shark vs Orca - Rishi - 08-15-2019, 09:53 AM