There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The small creatures - Insects, Invertebrates and bugs

United States _Hard_Robin_ Offline
New Join
( This post was last modified: 04-20-2020, 07:12 AM by Rishi )

Aside from other animals that I find interesting, (mainly mammals such as bears), ants have genuinely always fascinated me. Especially army ants (Eciton Burchellii). 

Unlike other ants, army ants never have a nest. And unlike other army ants such as Dorylus, Eciton are 100% nomadic and the entire colony travels their entire lives. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

Classes formed by two: Soldier (front) Worker (back).

Despite the wide variety of other ant species in South America including bullet ants, leaf cutter ants, fire ants and Argentine ants, army ants are truly the dominant species. They can displace hundreds of thousands of insects and animals from their habitats within a single day.

And form bridges made out of their own bodies to cross borders.

*This image is copyright of its original author

All while being completely blind.

I didn't exactly have an aim for this post, I just thought I would share this information as I found it very interesting.
4 users Like _Hard_Robin_'s post

Messages In This Thread
RE: The small creatures - Insects, Invertebrates and bugs - _Hard_Robin_ - 04-20-2020, 04:14 AM