There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions in Central and East Africa

Maldives acutidens150 Offline
Banned

(01-13-2022, 11:17 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 12:58 PM)acutidens150 Wrote: Guate, i think that, the average weight of East African lion in your chart (174 kg), since it includes the average weights for all lions from East Africa, thus the value gets smaller, so can we have a chart on the different populationsof lions for example, Maasai Mara and Ngorongoro Crater to see their average weights, which I suspect would be larger than 174 kgs, as they are among the largest lions alive. So can we please get a chart which points differently at lions from each different populations In East Africa?

Yes, the figure of 174 kg for males is for the entire area. I can make an especific average for each country, but take in count that there are no weights from the Ngorongoro crater itself.

There is the popular idea that the lions from Ngorongoro are among the largest, and while the chest measurements match those of the biggest South African lions, they probably weight about the same.
Have you heard of the 212 kg average weights for six males at age 4 in the Ngorongoro Crater? I have also heard of a 206 kg average body weight for males there, another source stated it. Although I don't have any proof to back it up.
1 user Likes acutidens150's post

Messages In This Thread
Lions in Central and East Africa - peter - 04-27-2014, 02:54 AM
RE: Lions in Central and East Africa - acutidens150 - 01-14-2022, 07:03 PM