There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-10-2020, 08:39 PM by Pckts )

@chui_ 
Quote: However, it should be noted the skull of Lauzen's jaguar was measured before it was boiled and dried (see pg 239 of his 1990 book) and therefore its true measurements would be smaller.

Quote:He said it may have weighed close to 130kg, which means the opposite (ie 130kg would've been the upper estimate not the lower end). He actually states in his 1976 that this enormous jaguar with the record skull probably weighed 5-10kg more than his heaviest recorded at 119kg (therefore around 124-129kg with empty stomach). On page 131 of his 1976 book and on page 121 of his 1990 book he states this jaguar must have weighed "close to 130kg".

See below:

*This image is copyright of its original author

"The Jaguars Skull after the Drying Period, measured 20 1/4'' 
His Weight must of been close to 130kg on an Empty Belly"

Notice his skull was dried and his estimated weight of 130kg was on an Empty Stomach.

Let's not forget that he knew of multiple Skulls larger than that as well

"3x's 21+'' Jaguar Scores mentioned by Almeida

2 Skulls that Scored over 21'' from Jaguar Hunting in the Mato Grosso and Bolivia page 56

"Padrin also sent me a photo and the measurements of the record skull of a Venezuelan Jaguar, shot near the town of San Fernando de Apure, in 1946, by a man called Spencel. This skull, now in the museum of the Universidad Central De Venezuela, Caracas, measures 21 3/16! (Major A. Ellis had a skull of similar proportions from a jaguar shot in Miranda, southern Pantanal, and that was the biggest skull of a Brazilian jaguar that I have ever heard of.) Spencel's jaguar reputedly weighed 264 lbs (120 kilos). A photo of a jaguar being weighed in at 325 lbs (148kg) is shown in Mondolfi and Hoogjesteijn's study on the Venezuelan jaguar."

And to compare the Largest Jaguar Almeida weighed, the 119kg Jaguar empty belly had pug marks under the 5'' mark while another they were unsuccessful in capturing surpassed that by a decent amount. 

and here is 5'' Pugmarks from Red Yaguarete' recently captured

Quote:The 148kg jaguar was not weighed with an empty stomach. I don't know why you keep making these claims.
Per @GuateGojira personal communication with Rafael that you're aware of...

To start with the discussion, nobody can know the weight of the stomach content of a jaguar, unless he kill it, open the stomach and weight the content, then this is a interminable and bizantine discussion. A jaguar is able to eat that weight in meat [about the 10-15 kg figure], but the bait used do not had even the forth part of that weight (fish). You can thell these to the expert. [i]

[i]The scale that we had in that moment at hand, was in pounds and reached the 300 pounds, we place the jaguar to weight him and reached the top of the 300 pounds, with strength, that means that weighed above that, and then the investigator Sandra Cavalcanti, with great experience in capture and evaluation of jaguars in the Pantanal, determined that the weight of that huge jaguar was about the 148 kg, and I was there and trully it was very big. I copy to you a publication from me about the comparison of weights and measurements of jaguars and other publication where I am in the picture with this jaguat thet we tagged 148. 
[/i][/i]

"The bait was fish and he says that the amount was very small which match the amount of 4-5 kg that he told me previously."

The bait was no more 4-5kg of Fish and it's been noted at the capture that the Jaguar wasn't full, so you can try to split hairs but that Jaguar is as close to empty as you're going to get with a wild Cat.

Quote:The main point, however is that the weights of a lot of the big jaguars taken by Almeida were clearly being exaggerated, despite the fact they are very clearly stated in his book.
I'm not sure how you can come to this conclusion.

It's not even a question, Jaguars get far larger than 119kg and especially now a days.
In modern days, we have 116kg average for North and South Pantanal, that number would most likely be higher if we separated North from South but regardless, I think it's fair to say that since the population Boom in Caiman after they were hunted to near extinction and the protections offered, Jaguars have shown that they are getting larger again.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - Pckts - 12-23-2019, 10:30 PM