There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

ADRIANO'S MEASUREMENTS

*This image is copyright of its original author

He is here, the first jaguar that debuted this thread and back then I noticed he had the wrong 158 kg claim by the photographer which was debunked by Fernando Tortato with Adriano ( AKA Tel or Teo ) weighing 130 kg.

During a nice discussion about jaguars with Rafael Hoogesteijn I asked the measurements of Adriano (or Tel), he said unfortunately he doesn't have them but then he suggested me to get Tel's measurements with Fernando Tortato since him and Joares May were the Head of that capture.

Rafael Hoogesteijn and Fernando Tortato call him Tel, he is also known by Panthera researchers with the codename as M11.

Rafael told me Tel's capture was a day to never forget in December 12th 2012.

Measure Method

Fernando Tortato said they often use over the curves and with Tel/Adriano they used a malleable tape measure  that involves the body of the animal ( I noticed it before his answer as soon as I saw Adriano/Tel shoulder height ).

However Rafael Hoogesteijn said the jaguars he captured in Llanos he measured on straight lines, just like Dr Crawshaw told me, he said over the curves will end up enlongating the size of the animal which is an inaccurate method.

M11 (Teo/Adriano) Measurements.

Measure Method: Over the Curves.

Head Girth: 75.6cm
Neck Girth: 67cm
Chest Girth: 109cm
Shoulder Height: 85cm
Body Length: 152cm
Tail Length: 66cm
Total length: 218 cm
Weight: 130kg

Message by Tortato.

Teo's head circumference is what impressed me the most about his dimensions.

Tel vs Pita

On the head girth Teo is 4.6 cm larger than Pita's head, that's really impressive. He definitely got a head size above the average.

However on the Neck girth department Pita is the record holder, the male to be beaten as no other jaguar on my books have beaten Pita's  whooping 70 cm of Neck girth, 3 cm thicker than Tel/Adriano's neck and 1.5 cm thicker than Almeidas thickest neck jaguar.

Chest girth wise I expected Tel/Adriano to be thicker than those 109 cm so it was a bit of a disappointment to me, so Tel/Adriano is 5 cm thinner than Pita's 114 cm chest. ( Dr Crawshaw was really serious when he said Pita is a very Bulky, wide, low to the ground jag ).

Shoulder Height was what led me to think Tel/Adriano was measured over the curves, with his 85 cm tall on the shoulders, 15 cm taller than Pita's shoulder (straight lines). Its clear Tel/Adriano is a bit shorter on the shoulder than that.

Total length wise with both cats measured differently ( Tortato told me the measuring tape followed all curves of Adriano's muscular body ) with that being said we can assure Tel/Adriano is slightly shorter than those 218 cm but I personally think Tel/Adriano in total body length would be slightly longer than Pita's total 207 cm if Tel was measured on straight lines because Tel got a tail 10 cm longer than Pita's tail. What I know for sure is that Jaguars are short and broad cats by nature.

Tel AKA M11

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - Dark Jaguar - 03-07-2021, 05:58 AM