There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estimate weights on animals.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-12-2016, 10:39 PM by Pckts )

(10-12-2016, 10:24 PM)Pantherinae Wrote: Still the variation in human weight's are greater than any other spicies and can't be compared to any other spicies. Like a man at 55 kg and 600 kg, is only humans. 

Only problem I have with this 380 kg tiger and other extreame hunting records is that we don't see anything even close to that today. I know that animals in the past where probably bigger than today, but when I see large males like Madla, Jay and this massive male sunquist weighed are over 100 kg+ lighter, I struggle to buy it, no doubt that they get bigger, but there is a limit! And imo it's before 380 kg. arround 300 kg, but again thats my opinion!
Your 600kg number is an extreme obesity occurrence, it's statistically pointless.
Humans are between 120lb to 400lb depending on their height and morphology. (freak specimens exist just like any other species)
Bears, Big Cats, Bovines, Ungulates in general and so on all easily run the gamut seen in humans.

In regards to what we see today.... We don't see anything today to be honest. We have obtained 3-4 new weights in the past 15 years with no body measurements or real info on scales used or procedure.
Look through Peters N. India tigers taken through out history, yes they are hunting records but they are still extremely reliable. Many weights may not be present but you can get a very good idea of their size when comparing body measurements.
In those cats, there are few in the 300kg area or close and by no way am I saying the 380kg mark is common. But its still with in the realm of possibility for tigers, its not like we can put this imaginary cap on big cats because we don't see it often.

Last is this, how many actual big, prime male tigers have actually been weighed compared to how many actually exist?
I'm sure the % is minuscule, likely less than 5 % so I am not willing to say we know the largest and that is the ones captured by us. Its extremely hard to capture tigers, its even harder to dictate which ones you capture and even harder to find the big boys who have become human savvy and avoid being spotted. They don't get that size by being noticed, yes some locations can be hunted to extinction but that isn't the case anymore and I see no reason why the big cats of then wont show themselves now if the protection is there.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
Estimate weights on animals. - Pantherinae - 10-12-2016, 03:17 AM
RE: Estimate weights on animals. - Polar - 10-12-2016, 09:36 AM
RE: Estimate weights on animals. - Shardul - 10-12-2016, 09:03 PM
RE: Estimate weights on animals. - Pckts - 10-12-2016, 08:40 PM
RE: Estimate weights on animals. - Apollo - 10-12-2016, 10:38 PM
RE: Estimate weights on animals. - Pckts - 10-12-2016, 09:38 PM
RE: Estimate weights on animals. - Pckts - 10-12-2016, 09:43 PM
RE: Estimate weights on animals. - Pckts - 10-12-2016, 10:37 PM
RE: Estimate weights on animals. - Polar - 01-12-2017, 12:09 AM
RE: Estimate weights on animals. - Polar - 01-12-2017, 12:25 AM