There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animals and the cultures that worshipped them

Greece LionKiss Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-04-2016, 12:05 AM by LionKiss )

(01-03-2016, 12:38 AM)SVTIGRIS Wrote: Bravery is very subjective, why do people not say "as brave as a honeybadger"? Because it is less "glamorous" then saying "as brave as a lion", the animals have similar nature in that sense and Ratels are in fact more active in these attribues.

In short I think those opposing your thoughts are making a fairer assessment of these animals rather than a preference based criteria in which you are trying to argue.

It is not my thoughts almost all powers of the worlds history had the Lion as their symbol.

I made a brief historical research and the LION has been the symbol of the following Empires, Kingdoms, civilization etc

Ancient Egypt,
Ancient Greece, in Ancient Macedonia it was the symbol of Alexander the Great
Ancient Israel,

Roman Empire
Byzantine Empire

after 1000 AD
in Spain, France, England, Russian Empire (and the bear)

if I search more I will probably find more
all in all almost all Great Powers of the world had the Lion as their symbol,

@Polar
do you believe that the entire Human Civilization was wrong and you are right?
There were no Lions in Mexico where the Aztecs used to live, they have never seen a Lion, the same for the Nordic countries, they admired the bear because they have never seen a Lion, lions don't live in so low temperatures.
Besides, the Nordic countries based their admiration on the bulk power of the bear since they were more less barbarians, they were good at war but have shown nothing in sciences and art, philosophy, medicine, mathematics, astronomy, psychology etc.
It is the same case with some European tribes, they were almost barbarians. They could not analyze the "character" of the Lion, they were small tribes fighting each other the most of their lives.

The bear will not attack an other bigger animal, the bear goes always safe.
A single 4-5 years old female Lion can kill a buffalo which is 4 times her weight and size.

see this mid air attack by a female lion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcEFTGb_ZR0

lions attack and kill full grown male giraffes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89IvWitiN8w

Lions take enormous risks and have relative small causalities probably because they believe all that risk is quite manageable for them.

the tiger of the photo you posted, is from this video and it shows clearly that the tiger went for the man not the elephant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4t0aeTX954

@brotherbear

I agree with your Barometer, you said right.

@GrizzlyClaws

of course you can determine braveness by the size of the animal to be attacked, because when you have a 14 members in a lion pride and the most of them cubs someone should bring the food and it is usually the females (the males also sometimes) which need to kill a big animal so there will be food for all of them. So they take high risk, high reward prey, such as buffalos, giraffes, hippos etc

for me all this conversation I make here is not to prove that the lion is more powerful then a bear, probably a bear has more power, but that the lion has several characteristics that humans have and are fascinated when we see them in the Lion.
1 user Likes LionKiss's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are lions social animals? - Sully - 01-01-2016, 02:37 AM
RE: Why are lions social animals? - sanjay - 01-01-2016, 09:13 AM
RE: Why are lions social animals? - Polar - 01-02-2016, 03:04 AM
RE: Why are lions social animals? - Polar - 01-02-2016, 03:17 AM
RE: Why are lions social animals? - Sully - 01-03-2016, 12:38 AM
RE: Why are lions social animals? - Polar - 01-03-2016, 05:26 AM
RE: Why are lions social animals? - LionKiss - 01-03-2016, 11:57 PM
RE: Why are lions social animals? - Pckts - 01-04-2016, 12:57 AM
RE: Why are lions social animals? - Sully - 01-04-2016, 01:28 AM
RE: Why are lions social animals? - Pckts - 01-04-2016, 01:48 AM