There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About methods, measurements, errors, baits and the art of debating

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-16-2015, 04:15 AM by peter )

1 - INTRODUCTION

Some time ago, a poster interested in (morphological data of) extinct and extant wild big cats joined our forum. His posts quickly revealed he was both well-informed and able in many respects. A potential asset, it was concluded. WaveRiders, as he called himself, apparently shared this conclusion and underlined his abilities whenever possible. He immediately demanded the tutor part and it has to be said he gave it what he had. 

The disadvantage of tutors is they do not treat their pupils on, ehhh, equal terms. They correct them when they take a wrong turn. Another disadvantage is they usually are reluctant to disclose their sources, in this way frustrating every attempt to get to a debate. When it is added Wave quickly extended his territory, one could say the countdown more or less started when he arrived. Not the best way to make friends, but in the end only quality counts. Or does it?      

Within a few weeks, the mood changed. When animosity replaced irritation, turbulence had to be expected and we were not disappointed. One of the owners of the forum had to intervene to solve the problem. Although Wave, regarding the owners, had used plenty of honey to prevent problems, the decision wasn't in his favour. He left, but not quite. Posters like Wave only leave when they've scored a late winner. Expecting him to return sooner or later in a different place, a small but tasteful bait was placed. Although it is likely more posters interested in bears and tigers found it, Wave, as expected, was the only one who really went for it. 

After a barrage of 8-inch shells, the owner of his new hotel said enough was enough. His last posts were severely edited and the guns were sold. Today it's all quiet on the western front. Other factors also contributed to the armistice. One of these no doubt was the lack of mobilization in the country that was shelled. The reason they didn't respond to the shelling is they knew wars don't solve problems. Wars usually are a continuation of politics. They start when talks end and the other way round, so peace talks it is. If they are to be resumed, however, the participants should agree on the topics. 

In this case, all generals agreed on the topics delivered by Wave. Before a hotel with room service in a friendly country will be selected, the bait used by one side needs to be discussed. I am referring to the 'error' in a number of post on tigers and bears in the tiger-extinction thread (2). After agreement has been reached, I propose to start the talks with a debate on methods. Methods to measure wild big cats, I mean (3). We also need to have a look at the reliability of hunting records (4). Same for measurements published by today's biologists (5). Another topic is the interpretation of articles in which morphological parameters of wild big cats feature (6). The most interesting by far would be the noble art of debating (7).   

Before we start, I want to make it clear that this thread isn't intended for executions. Wave, as a result of the shelling in August, will be addressed, but the intention is to get to a true debate on the topics mentioned above. One based on arguments only. This means that posts of those interested in something else will be deleted right away. As two are needed to debate, WaveRiders is invited to present his case himself. Here and not somewhere else, I mean. This means that the ban, of which I knew nothing (I was away for some time), will be lifted.

As the shelling was severe and the ones targeted didn't quite agree, the debate could be heated in some respects. But skills are best tested in heated debates. I will definitely contribute in all departments mentioned above. Remember the remark on arguments only and good luck,

Peter.
7 users Like peter's post

Messages In This Thread
About methods, measurements, errors, baits and the art of debating - peter - 09-08-2015, 10:51 PM