There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indian wildlife sanctuary, information data and its condition

Shardul Offline

@Pckts

Chill, dude. No need to get so worked up. I meant you missed the point of my reply, which was about prey and habitat. If tigers don't have prey, how are they able to live outside reserves for months before finding another habitat? And how many famished tigers have you seen? Even broken tail was in a very good condition, being in Rajasthan which doesn't have much forest cover. And please don't bring Sunderbans here, since they are isolated from mainland and don't have prey in abundance even though the area is largest mangrove delta in the world today with little human interference.

Sorry, you have not shown me any proof. All you have done is provide a bunch of links from telegraph claiming that some indian reserves are worth so and so dollars, not telling where they got the data from and who gets the money. The only money forest dept gets from tourists is park entrance fees. The expensive hotels and resorts surrounding the reserves are the ones raking in profit, not the forest dept and certainly not the villagers. There is a limited number of vehicles allowed inside the forest, which means even if there are more tourists visiting, its not going to translate into more revenue. And this is about the 'star' reserves. The forest dept has to take care of its hundreds of rangers, other support staff, their salaries and accomodation and  anti poaching equipment and patrols. The indian govt has to take care of 48 such tiger reserves and only a handful of them make any money. In the end they spend more than they earn. And seeing the amount of rubbish posted by western media and NGOs, I am not going to believe any source other than the official Indian government document. Show me a .gov.in link stating the revenue earned is greater than that spent and I'll believe you.

One of the links you posted itself lists poaching as a threat and same about deforestation, not which is greater. And if poaching wasn't the biggest threat, then all the tiger reserves should be carrying tigers to their full capacity. You keep bringing up Kaziranga. Then tell me why does Kaziranga have so many more tigers, rhinos and elephants than the three times bigger Manas? After all, tigers have so much more space in Manas, no? 

Also, why are you bringing sumatran tigers here? My point was about India, not Sumatra.
1 user Likes Shardul's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Indian wildlife sanctuary, information data and its condition - Shardul - 08-27-2015, 01:39 AM