There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
THE PUMA - CAT OF ONE COLOUR (Puma concolor)

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-11-2016, 06:05 PM by peter )

RANCHERS, GOVERNMENT, HUNTING AND PUMAS IN ARGENTINA 

Say cattle, and you say Argentina. Patagonia in particular has very extended plains. Ideal for ranchers. In general, they're quite happy. But 'quite' is different from 'very'. How come? The answer is pumas.

For an animal able to bring down a guanaco, a cow is a piece of cake. All in all it doesn't amount to much, biologists say. But every dead cow means less steaks and it always is about the money. For this reason, ranchers employ professional puma hunters. Although they're real good at what they do, pumas are still doing ok, thanks very much. In fact, they're settling down in regions where they haven't been seen in a long time.

Enough is enough, ranchers concluded. They talked to a few officials and the result is government now pays a bounty for every dead puma. As the bounty is substantial ($ 500), chances are it will attract hunters from all over the world. Ok, a puma isn't a lion or a Siberian tiger, but it still is a nice trophy and hunting is legal in Patagonia. My guess is quite a few outfitters and dentists would be interested.      

For some reason, hunters often post pictures of the animals they slaughter, I mean hunt. Gory pictures are best, as they attract the attention of many. When they have been posted, the debates erupt. It isn't about the debates, of course. it's about attracting new customers. Patagonia is a nice place. It really is. I've been thinking about a visit. Great steaks too. When you've shot your mountain lion, you can always go to the other side of the Andes and shoot, I mean take, a few pictures of wild pumas in Chile. Over there, pumas are protected. When you show 'm you was there, you can say you contributed to puma conservation. In Chile. But I wouldn't mention Patagonia if I was you. Unless you was there to see orcas or to hike.  

Debates about trophy, I mean sport, hunters and all the rest of it often are dominated by emotions. I understand, but emotions isn't going to do the job. This article in The Argentina Independent (2012) offers a kind of overview: 

http://www.argentinaindependent.com/currentaffairs/patagonian-safari-big-cats-vs-big-ranching/
5 users Like peter's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE PUMA - CAT OF ONE COLOUR (Felis concolor) - peter - 12-11-2016, 03:56 AM
Skulls of Pumas - epaiva - 03-24-2017, 05:50 AM
RE: Skulls of Pumas - epaiva - 03-24-2017, 05:58 AM
RE: Skulls of Pumas - epaiva - 03-24-2017, 06:24 AM
RE: Skulls of Pumas - epaiva - 03-24-2017, 06:36 AM
RE: Skulls of Pumas - GrizzlyClaws - 03-24-2017, 08:13 AM
RE: Skulls of Pumas - epaiva - 03-25-2017, 01:56 AM
400 POUND MOUNTAIN LION??? - paul cooper - 11-10-2017, 11:54 AM