There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-04-2020, 05:51 PM by Dark Jaguar )

Very interesting live yesterday with Jorge Salomão and Jacqueline Muniz about jaguar/puma captures in Brazil.

Jorge who is Graduated in Veterinary Medicine and one of the most important members of the Reprocon team was the one answering the questions since he is part of the team that captures jaguars and pumas in all brazilian biomes.

I am gonna point out a few important things from that live.

1) Regarding Charges during sedation Pumas are more shy but Jaguars will charge 90% of the times when it receives the sedation shot so the team usually get someone to distract the beast but once darted it will turn against whoever shot it but eventually the charging animals will be stopped by the loop trap then it will try to search for a place to escape but the team better keep safe distances to avoid accidents specially with jaguars who are much more aggressive in these situations of stress when the animal wants to scape and the charging moments are the moments when people even hug each other Funny .

credits: Reprocon

*This image is copyright of its original author

2) I told them about the 2 theories of mine and they pretty much got confirmed.

I asked if cerrado jaguars are the second largest jaguar population in Brazil today.

Jorge said yes from all of their captures and experiences the Pantanal jaguars are the largest but Cerrado jaguars aren't too far bellow today, the numbers prove by itself.

He also mentioned from his experience specially seeing both wild Cerrado and Pantanal jags in person so many times regarding size comparison he got impressions that Pantanal jaguars compared to Cerrado jaguars are a bit shorter and broader whereas Cerrado jaguars in comparison to Pantanal jaguars are a bit taller and a bit less broad but with big head.

3) My second theory is that Caatinga Jaguars and Caatinga Pumas overlap in size ( cause I personally think and I already said that if there's one place in Brazil where both cats have the most minimal size/weight difference is in Caatinga )

He said in Caatinga they tend to be small so chances of overlap is very likely, some of their captures he mentioned in caatinga was a male Puma of 37kg and a male Caatinga Jaguar of 41kg so its highly possible for them to overlap in Caatinga. ( let's also remember about the 37kg 5 years old caatinga male I posted in the jaguars weight thread )

I don't think the 43kg caatinga male he mentioned is Lampião male cause he missed the time Reprocon along with his partner Gediendson captured a 41kg melanistic caatinga male which could definitely be Lampião male. The one he mentioned was a non-melanistic one.

4) Also to give you guys a clue on how elusive caatinga jaguars are, he said they took 30-40 days to localize one single caatinga jaguar.

5) He got bit by a Tapir. haha

6) He went to Amazon in the past and captured 3 Amazonic jaguars there 2 females and 1 male but he recalls only the weight of 2.

One amazonic female of 45kg and one amazonic male of 53kg.

He mentioned Amazonic jaguars are also normally pretty small.

He also pointed out how mesmerizing the Amazon is.

7) Also I am gonna Take advantage and mention something interesting from the live of Onças do Iguaçú around 1 week ago is that Caatinga jaguars got much more rough/harsh paw pads compared to its larger cousins in order to adapt to the thorns and dry enviornment of Caatinga.

There was also another confirmation on cattle predation by Caatinga jags, this time by the Biologist Claudia said that her partners in the field stated Caatinga jaguars do predate on cattles and despite the small sizes they're yet robust and they are no joke in strength and even with much lesser cases of cattle predation compared to Pantanal and Cerrado jaguars there are still a proportion of cattle loss to the ranchers by Caatinga jaguars which leads enraged ranchers willing to poach them and the rest of the story we all already know.
4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Dark Jaguar - 07-04-2020, 05:46 PM