There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ngandong Tiger (Panthera Tigris soloensis)

Canada GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(02-11-2019, 04:48 AM)smedz Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 04:43 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 04:09 AM)smedz Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 03:39 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: 1. The largest specimen probably exceeded 1000 lbs.

2. All those even-toed ungulates available in the Pleistocene Southeast Asia; mostly bovids, sometimes also on tapirs, young elephants and rhinos.

3. Abundant preys available, also no peer competitor.

4. This tiger was the apex predator on the region, other local predators were much smaller like leopards, dholes, hyenas. Maybe other primitive humans like Homo erectus whose technologies weren't advanced enough to pose a significant threat.

5. Likely one of the largest prehistoric felids, and rivalled by the largest Pleistocene lions and Smilodon populator.

Here is the most recent paper that referred to the Ngandong tiger, if you are interested to read it.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1b74/4a3f6bab9689b2de3267c3d9cf0787e23fb9.pdf

Thanks, that was rather informal. 

486 kg= 1,071 lbs 
If that was this tigers real size, then it was a beast. But of course, this may be an overestimate. But we know for sure this was the biggest tiger to ever live. Something that would definitely make early humans crap themselves. Although, what kind of hyenas lived in that region?

Hard to say the exact species of the local hyenas, and I did remember when I read it, the species remained anonymous.

Perhaps @tigerluver could interpret the whole thing better than I did, since he has continuously studied on Ngandong tiger with the actual fossil under his possession.

Could you maybe let tigerluver and the other prehistoric feline experts about this thread? I'd love to hear their input. Just thought the creation of this thread would make researching this tiger easier for any curious person.

I have already summoned him in my previous post, and he will be here later to answer your curiosity.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ngandong Tiger (Panthera Tigris soloensis) - GrizzlyClaws - 02-11-2019, 04:50 AM