There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Personal Opinion & Speculations

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned

(05-08-2020, 03:57 AM)Asad981 Wrote: In my honest opinion, in terms of predation feats, the puma beats the leopard.

This is my personal opinion.

I belive the most powerful prey a single lion can kill are 
  • Cape buffalo bulls                      
  • Giraffe bulls
  • Adult crocodiles (Nile & Mugger)
  • Indian buffalo (Wild & Domestic)
  • Good sized young elephants
  • Maybe maybe maybe a female hippo or black rhino cow (I have a modern scientific record of a single lion badly mauling a black rhino cow and killing her calf)
Also the Asiatic lion has been recorded killing water buffaloes so considering all those I am pretty convinced a single lion is more than capable of killing a bull gaur, atleast an average one.

1. Depends on the area.

However, the biggest ungulate Leopards have killed are Eland Cows, which are equal to or bigger than the Shiras Moose that Cougars have killed.

2. Speaking of Asiatic Lions killing domestic Buffalo, Leopards have also killed adult Water Buffalo (albeit in the lower age class).

*This image is copyright of its original author

Miller et. al. (2015) "Livestock losses and hotspots of attack from tigers and leopards in Kanha Tiger Reserve, Central India"

For Water Buffalo ages, I searched up growth stages, I found these:

"According to their age and sex, the animals were divided into four i.e. A1 (young male, 1 - 2 years), A2(young female, 1 - 2 years), B1 (adult male, 3 - 6 years) and B2 (adult female 3 - 6 years)."

PANHWAR et. al. 2007 "Gross Anatomical Studies on Normal Heart of Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis)"
2 users Like Styx38's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Personal Opinion & Speculations - Styx38 - 05-13-2020, 06:22 AM
Unpopular opinions? - Pantherinae - 01-26-2019, 03:15 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Spalea - 01-26-2019, 03:49 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Pantherinae - 01-26-2019, 04:15 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Spalea - 01-26-2019, 06:21 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Pantherinae - 01-26-2019, 06:32 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - brotherbear - 01-26-2019, 05:23 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Pantherinae - 01-26-2019, 05:46 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Sully - 02-02-2020, 06:03 AM