There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Do you support lion translocation from Gir to Kuno Palpur?
Absolutely!
No.
On the fence...
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Asiatic Lion Reintroduction Project

Matias Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-27-2018, 08:10 PM by Matias )

In my opinion the Kuno Palpur reserve is too small for a translocation program, it does not have enough territory to manage a genetically healthy population in a self-sufficient manner. The existence or not of resident tigers is a minor fact, I do not think tigers are the major territorial limiters for lions. The population increase will tiger a territorial expansion disordered by areas and territories unfit for such predators. The population of Rajasthan does not have the tolerance of the people of Gujarat. When a group of lions is implanted in Kuno, all the life references of these lions are in Gir, they will continually search for "references" and not finding them will continue to search, breaking the boundaries of Kuno so fast as possible. I believe that Kuno-Palpur is, in essence, a great marketing project.

One fact in itself that also concerns me is the sentiment of the inhabitants of Gujarat State. After more than 100 years of unparalleled coexistence in any other part of the world, its values can reduce, within a long time process of deconstruction of values, implying the progressive loss of its "tolerance rate" of living with lions after the loss of his "great and sole pride". Although it seems anecdotal, it is an aspect that I think is very important; are factors that we can not measure today but we must bear in mind that the situation of Asian lions in Gujarat is very good, based on their exponential and territorial increase, as well as the "new people" who are building their lives in line with the lions and all the wildlife that now cohabit in this vast territory. Nothing better for your genetic health than this territorial breadth. A small translocated population does not imply greater genetic diversity. The people of Gujarat are the faithful custodians of the Asian lions, and as such I believe that every translocation of lions of their state has to be endorsed. There is no need, no urgency, no palpable threat, only the view that translocation is a desirable end. The possible use of captive lions by the Government of Rajasthan only reinforces my view that there is a huge commercial interest in this translocation. From the strictly conservationist point of view I would be more concerned with finding a "definite new home" a huge area as in the "Thar".

From the sensationalist point of view, watching lions and tigers in combat at Kuno - Palpur - Ranthambore would be priceless.Those who enjoy the facts narrated by the big coalitions in the great Sabi Sands would be high up, and obviously I would also be interested in this show, yet this is the preventive conservation of lions? This is what the State of Rajastan wants, to promote a unique show in nature and to garner all the benefits of this show. My view today is this, but only idiots do not change their minds, and so it is still possible to see this translocation with good eyes. Doubts will always exist! and I do not usually share narrow visions .... but to the present I see more problems than solution ..... and so we follow the next chapters.

4 users Like Matias's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Asiatic Lion Reintroduction Project - Matias - 02-27-2018, 07:55 PM