There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Thread Closed 
Are Tigers 'Brainier' Than Lions?

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-02-2017, 11:11 AM by peter )

Mamalou,

This thread is about a question. The question is if tigers are brainier than lions. This means it isn't about fights, trainers or dogmas. 

How contribute? My advice is to read Polar's last post. Although not based on a study, paper or article, it's an interesting personal view. More important is it is a response to the question. He offered an opinion and you can respond. 

If you want to do lion versus tiger again, I advice to use the animal trainers thread. I started that thread. I don't mind you doing a lion tribute, but when you hijack the thread for promotion, it's game over. 

As to the question that apparently haunts you. I interviewed a number of experienced trainers. I also talked to someone who really trained big cats (most trainers are performers, not trainers) and a director of a training facility. Some of them saw things that can't be discussed. I saw quite a bit myself.

I can keep it real short. The answer to your question is it depends. There's no such thing as species-related ability in a fight. It's individuality all the way and real fair fights are few and far between. One of the two nearly always has a kind of advantage. More often than not, it is decisive. The reason is the margins are small when both are similar in age and size.

What I read about tigers and bears in the Russian Far East more or less confirms the reports of trainers in that size, speed, agility, character, age and experience often seem to be decisive. One could add the ability to take damage. In the similar-size category, it's close to unpredictable.

As to brains. The question is if tigers are 'brainier' than lions. There are many ways to get to an answer, but I would advice to read the paper first. Good luck.
6 users Like peter's post

Messages In This Thread
Are Tigers 'Brainier' Than Lions? - sanjay - 05-25-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: Are Tigers 'Brainier' Than Lions? - peter - 03-02-2017, 11:09 AM