There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 08-10-2024, 07:06 AM by BA0701 )

So, this happened in the Mara, where Black Rock Male, Oloshipa, was approaching a mother Cheetah and her four cubs. Two guide vehicles intervened, driving between the two parties, and pushing Oloshipa off in the opposite direction. The lodge claimed they did this due to the low numbers of Cheetah.

I am sharing this, as I believe it is a conversation worth having, but I ask that the conversation remain civil, regardless of which side of the debate you might sit on.

For me, personally, I understand why they did this, and it is certainly the way my heart would lean, but this is the wild, not a zoo, and I do not believe it should be treated that way. Many things have happened in the wild, and to many of these cats that mean so much  to so many of us, that I wish had gone a different way, but I do not agree with human intervention when the conflict in question is between different creatures. While I do, personally, tend to agree with veterinary intervention, in most cases (though I understand when it is not used as well, and will not try to argue my point in such instances), this is an example of human intervention that I do not agree with. Let things play out the way nature intended for them to. The lady on Brothers in Blood, when discussing the killing of Kinky Tail, was discussing how awful it was to witness that, but she said that "we cannot get involved", and I agree with that. It should be viewed as an honor to witness them, in their natural environment, regardless of how things play out, but we cannot be there to protect and defend these creatures constantly, that is not the natural way of things.

So many things taking place in Masai Mara, of late, that to me seem so contradictory. On one hand they will go out of their way to protect the animals, as seen here, and on the other, nothing is done about the illegal encroachment of humans into the Mara, who are hostile towards the lions for no other reason than their behaving as lions should.

2 users Like BA0701's post

Messages In This Thread
[email protected] - swtlei4u - 11-11-2017, 09:17 AM
RIP Sikio - BigLion39 - 02-16-2021, 04:17 AM
LyonLover - LyonLover - 03-26-2024, 04:20 AM
LyonLover - LyonLover - 05-28-2024, 11:16 PM
RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 08-10-2024, 07:01 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Sideliner - 02-11-2017, 12:37 PM
RE: The Birmingham Males - Tshokwane - 07-03-2017, 05:11 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Pckts - 07-14-2018, 03:10 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Pckts - 07-24-2018, 08:51 PM
RE: Lions of Sabi Sands - Mapogo Son - 07-17-2024, 08:52 PM