There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Lions in South-Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Mabande and Ximpoko, Photo taken by Christof Schoeman.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Mabande's first coalition partner was called Ximpoko. He was the biggest male in the Timbavati without a doubt. He was killed by trophy hunters in July 2013. After Ximpoko's death Mabande formed a coalition in 2014 with a male called the Birmingham male.

To this day, Mabande is still alive.

Quote:Are you able to get to some conclusions on coalitions? Are there regional differences in size and behaviour? Why is it some coalitions left total destruction? Anything known as to factors that affect behaviour?

Hi @peter , thanks for sharing that account with us.
To be fair, I'm still very limited in the amount of knowledge aboout lions from other places. But I'll try to answer your question from what I do know.
From both the Kruger/Sabi sands and the Serengeti/Masai mara I've read about big coalitions( 4 or more males). From other places, not so much, but rather dual coalitions and the occasional trio of males.
I'm not sure if this is related to how plentiful the land is, the amount of prey available or simply how successful the local prides are(I always refer to the female grouping as prides;Never liked to say "pride males").
About the agression of the coalitions, I think it depends a lot on the individuals(maybe some have more testoterone than others and that reflects more than in just how big the mane is). What I'm sure is that it is more pronounced in the initial stages of a take over, because the males need to reinforce their dominance in the land they conquer and also force the females to accept them as dominant males. 
One more thing I've noticed is that in the Serengeti/Masai mara area, successful coalitions like the Notch males constantly expand their territories and in doing so they lose interest in the land and prides they conquered initially. This of course menas that those prides will be left vulnerable to the threat of new males and the cubs they sired may die. But it's like they need to constantly have more and more.
To draw a parallel picture, in the Sabi sands this expanding is also seen, coalitions have lost interest in some prides and moved to conquer another, but I don't see this constant moving from one territory to another. They stay for longer periods of time in one big place they conquer and dominate and then, maybe when cubs grow up and become sub-adults ready to become independent then the coalition will try to look out for another pride. This also may be a response to the pressure another large or younger coalitions puts them, so they move a little bit to avoid conflict with said rival coalition, something very alike with what you see with dominant leopards and tigers.
For now, this are some of the things I've noticed, I hope it helps.
6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lions in South-Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia - Tshokwane - 10-03-2015, 08:40 PM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Gamiz - 11-12-2016, 09:56 AM