There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
BODY SIZE AND MASS OF NGORONGORO CRATER LIONS

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 06-01-2015, 03:28 AM by GuateGojira )

(06-01-2015, 01:35 AM)'chaos' Wrote: ~~At the same token, what is the "generally" accepted average for adult male Amur tigers? Is 225 kgs with maximums of 360 kg.

We both know this to be inaccurate and unrealistic. Perhaps in captivity, but certainly not in the present day wild. 180 kgs for adult
male Serengeti lions is not unrealistic at all. Your own samples directly reflect that.

As far as Sanchez-Arino goes, I have no real opinion on it. I don't dispute it. Its very low end though.

You missed the point.

The point is that even when many books repeat the same (I put the example of the Amur tiger), that is not true. Lions of 180 kg and Amurs of 225 kg are not the real figures.

If we go to the original documents, Packer and Schaller estimate an average of 160-170 kg in the normal cases, the figures of Sanchez-Arino (155 kg) and Bertram (186 kg) are the extreme points of the scale.

I am not against the figure of 180 kg, if properly supported by data, but I am against ignoring the smaller populations like that of Loliondo. Remember that Waza lions weights an average of about 150 kg with higher figures of up to 198 kg, but not for that reason we most ignore it. We have Royal Bengal tigers weighing only 100 kg in the Sundarbans, but that is a real population that is included in our calculations.

I am going to contact Sanchez-Arino. I don't know how, but I have hope that he will give us answers.

Pantherinae, a group of 20 big lions of up to 230 kg are just a small part of a population of more than 1,000 specimens in East Africa. Normally, the lions in rich areas of the Serengeti seems to weight about 180-190 kg, but this is more like a mode than an mean (average).

1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: BODY SIZE AND MASS OF NGORONGORO CRATER LIONS - GuateGojira - 06-01-2015, 03:26 AM