There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Terai Tiger

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

He's not said to be the Largest Tiger in Dudhwa for nothing.
What a beast!
2 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Nvm, he just said he has a few larger than him! 
I thought I remembered someone saying Sathiana was the largest Male, I guess not.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(03-06-2019, 09:45 PM)Pckts Wrote: Kshitij Saxena
Kankati tigress from terai U.P.

Mar.2018

*This image is copyright of its original author

I asked some who had seen Umarpani and the Gulrighat Male about their size comparison and he said the following...

"I just saw Gulrighat Male three days back and I have seen Umarpani as well. I will not comment on who is bigger (I know this debate is on for sometime now), but I can say with conviction that the argument that Kanha tigers are biggest may need to be revisited. Dudhwa/ Terai tigers are humongous and Gulrighat is not the biggest among Terai tigers. I am told by locals there that Sathiana male is bigger than Gulrighat male. My next trip will focus on Sathiana who gives sightings once in two months!!!"

I misremembered, they just said Sathiana could be larger than Gulrighat.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Siddhesh Mungekar
Baildanda Male

Kishanpur, Dudhwa

Siddharth Singh
 Amazing frame of 17 No Male .. one of the heaviest males from Kishanpur

5 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Amitosh Jaiswal
Gulrighat Male

5 users Like Pckts's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-01-2019, 06:07 AM by Rage2277 )

Ambika Misra‎-Many of the visitors at Dudhwa mention about less Tiger sightings....but believe me or not you cannot trust the Jungles. In my last visit i saw this huge male tiger which has rarely been spotted. I would not like to share the location but my friend Amit Bangre, who is an ace naturalist from Dudhwa helped me track this tiger...credit goes to him for this beautiful shot.In my opinion, This is not Beldanda Male, Thunder, or a Ring Road Male. Wanted to give him a name .....calling for suggestions ??????
4 users Like Rage2277's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Anurag Prakash
Dudhwa may 2018

Hemant Hingonia Irs
Beautiful Dudhwa

June 2019

Anurag Prakash

Jai Mohan
Gulrighat

Akshay Singh
SATHIANA MALE THE BIG DADDY OF DUDWA NATIONAL PARK (APRIL 2019)

Anurag Prakash

Anurag Prakash

7 users Like Pckts's post

India sanjay Online
Co-owner of Wildfact

Well, I think sooner we all will be in debate, Dudhawa tiger are one of the biggest ??
Astonishing photos of hulk male @Pckts
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor

(06-20-2019, 03:59 PM)Pckts Wrote: He's not said to be the Largest Tiger in Dudhwa for nothing.
What a beast!

I was told that the Kauva Ghatia male is the largest. He is also very tough to find and seems very secretive.
3 users Like Ashutosh's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-02-2019, 06:37 AM)Ashutosh Wrote:
(06-20-2019, 03:59 PM)Pckts Wrote: He's not said to be the Largest Tiger in Dudhwa for nothing.
What a beast!

I was told that the Kauva Ghatia male is the largest. He is also very tough to find and seems very secretive.

I corrected my statement a few posts later.
Have you done safari in Dudhwa?

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor

Quote:I corrected my statement a few posts later.

I have done a couple of safaris in Dudhwa. Didn’t see a tiger, though. The guide showed me a picture of the Kauva Ghatia male on his phone and was adamant that he was the biggest tiger in Dudhwa. Did see a Rhino, but felt a bit weird because it was not in Kaziranga. Good to see the Rhino reclaiming it’s lost space.
2 users Like Ashutosh's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 07-02-2019, 07:37 AM by Roflcopters )

was Kauvia Ghatia the male that was captured by Wildlife Institute of India scientist Dr Wasif Jamshed? who was that male? i don’t think i can tell who’s the largest just by looking at pictures. it seems like everyone has different opinions. another scientist from Wildlife Institute of India Dr Vibhav Srivastava said the biggest male he ever saw from that region was a male from Katarniaghat named “Duldula male”. 

here is his exact words, curious to see if we could find anything on him. these Dudhwa tigers are something else, I wonder how Kaziranga matches up to them but i know how prime KZT085, KZT023 and KZT110 looked so i can never rule them out.

I almost overlooked this, Dr. Raghu Chundawat commenting on Kauvi Ghatia’s picture, that created a wave of responses and several reputable big names in the scientific world were present.
6 users Like Roflcopters's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-02-2019, 07:36 AM by Pckts )

(07-02-2019, 07:01 AM)Ashutosh Wrote:
Quote:I corrected my statement a few posts later.

I have done a couple of safaris in Dudhwa. Didn’t see a tiger, though. The guide showed me a picture of the Kauva Ghatia male on his phone and was adamant that he was the biggest tiger in Dudhwa. Did see a Rhino, but felt a bit weird because it was not in Kaziranga. Good to see the Rhino reclaiming it’s lost space.

He could be, he looks huge from the one shot of him I've seen.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor

@Roflcopters 
This is the one. That is one impressive specimen. The Dudhwa tigers are growing to be big constantly. I mean the prey base is good, but it doesn’t match some of the other reserves which begs the question what is pushing these tigers to attain such big sizes because it can’t be easy maintaining that.

On the Kaziranga vs Dudhwa thing, I think the excessive pressure of territory makes a Orang or Kaziranga tiger really battle-hardened not just in the confrontational way but very much in the tactical and cerebral way of surviving. I mean, in a landscape of such dense tiger numbers and the highest mortality of any big cat per population size, tigers there would have to be on eternal vigilance. I mean, I read Kzt 023 was killed by a rival and he is easily the most robust tiger I have ever seen! But, the Dudhwa tigers and others from the Terai are pretty fascinating.
3 users Like Ashutosh's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-02-2019, 10:18 AM by Rishi )

Actual comparative size of tigers would be very hard to tell. Take for example the above male & Wagdoh.

Both are crossing dirt tracks created by wheels of Maruti Gypsy, used universally for safari in India. Even with minor differences between width & angle, it'd be quite safe to assume that Wagdoh is significantly larger than him.

He's a bulky boi... no doubt. But Wagdoh comfortably surpasses him in dimensions.

It's hard to tell if the size of north/eastern tigers truly is overhyped & how much so. They often tend to be stocky, but along with Bhutan tigers very often seem pretty short & stout in build.