There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-17-2020, 11:27 PM by Potato )

I do not think battle over mating rights would resault in wounds to back leg. If they would fight over mating rights then they would have scratches on the faces and on front paws not on back leg. 

You sure it is old video and you do not confuse that situation with other one? The video was published today on Rock Fig lodge facebook page.
2 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-17-2020, 11:26 PM)Potato Wrote: I do not think battle over mating rights would resault in wounds to back leg. If they would fight over mating rights then they would have scratches on the faces and on front paws not on back leg. 

You sure it is old video and you do not confuse that situation with other one? The video was published today on Rock Fig lodge facebook page.

Agree, this wound looks like a result from a 1 vs 2 fight.

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-17-2020, 11:26 PM)Potato Wrote: I do not think battle over mating rights would resault in wounds to back leg. If they would fight over mating rights then they would have scratches on the faces and on front paws not on back leg. 

I think they recopilar Sightings Each day and post in the weekends

I think this is the same Night when the Mbiri has been seen in Umlani Bushcamp.

And yeah, Probably wwas a fight against others males.

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

¡Mapoza male!
Ziggi Hugo
16 May, 2020.

*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like Cunaguaro's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-18-2020, 08:10 AM)Cunaguaro Wrote: ¡Mapoza male!
Ziggi Hugo
16 May, 2020.

Handsome.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Ross male Fabio laying down besides Birmingham young male after his contact calls:

No agression whatsoever from the Ross male, its quite strange..

Regardless, young male is very skinny and limp is not getting any better, if the Ross males (mostly Tyson) will denie him acces to the pride and food, unfortunately he will die in few weeks.. Another sad story but this is how it works in nature..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The Father of the Nharhu male lions!
Meet the intimidanting Hondo. One of the two old River pride males snarling and giving an intense stare! Each Scar tells his Story! This male for sure have much stories to tell, Taken in Motswari Private Game Reserve, South Africa
?: Photo credits to: Kevan Dobbie
Motswari PGR-Greater Kruger, "South Africa"
Posted: 24/12/19 (Dec 24, 2019.)
Written by Kevin Dobbie: (A relatively old male Lion was found not too far from the lodge one morning and was seen mating with a female from the Western Pride. A spectacular sighting as we were able to capture images like this. A beautiful specimen that nature has to offer.)

Written and posted by  https://www.facebook.com/113838043410868/photos/a.115082489953090/176240663837272/?type=3&theater

5 users Like T I N O's post

Venezuela titose Offline

One of the six Maseke males, there are still six males 
Information by Mopaya Safari Lodge
Photo by: Oscar.laforet

8 users Like titose's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-19-2020, 07:27 AM)titose Wrote: One of the six Maseke males, there are still six males 
Information by Mopaya Safari Lodge
Photo by: Oscar.laforet

Good Post. However a Photographer has say they are down to 4, Two of them were killed by buffalo a long time ago.

After all sound Interesting and accurate. Because in Pondo GL were named "4 Black mane lions" And in Ndzuti SC. they used to move as a coalition of four members.
4 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The limping Nharhu male growling at one of his brothers whilst mating with a younger lioness from the river pride. She showed interest in the other brother, but he aggressively guarded the female and moved into the opposite direction.

5 users Like Potato's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

¡Nharhu males!
Posted by: https://www.instagram.com/tanda.tula/ 
May 19, 2020. 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CAX_RczAE-l/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
2 users Like Cunaguaro's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

The cubs are all doing splendidly and are getting bigger by the week. The three younger, cautious cubs are now just the “three younger cubs” and their cautiousness has turned into curiosity. They are now the first to come walking up to the vehicle when we arrive.  It is interesting to note that this appears to be at about the very same age that the older cubs showed their interest in us, indicating to me, that it is not necessarily about how often they see the vehicles as it is about how big they are.  Regardless, they provided for several fantastic sightings this week, particularly around one of the natural pans close to their den sites.  I was watching an elephant bull bathing in the pan early one morning when I heard the lionesses low contact call, only to turn around and see the mothers, cubs and two Nharhu males coming strolling up to the pan to drink.  They continued to play around the pan for the remainder of the morning until I left them to go and see some wild dogs!

The limping Nharhu male continued to mate with the youngest River Pride lioness and it is a bit concerning that despite all the mating, she doesn’t seem to be falling pregnant.  The cut-nosed Nharhu male was looking a bit battered and bruised towards the end of the week and it is not certain where he picked up the injuries. It’s most likely fights with the other males over food or mates, but with the Mbiri male lions roaring to the south during the week, the possibility exists that they may have encountered one another? The odds are far greater that the former scenario is closer to the truth.

3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-22-2020, 09:25 PM)Potato Wrote: Tanda Tula update

So its quite possible that Scar Mbiri had a fight vs Nharhus, as both he and Slit Nose Nharhu had injuries around the same time.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

I am not sure about it. Recently Nharhus had 2 filmed scraps over impalas kill and possibly more not sighted. Moreover there is River pride female in oestrus so the wounds might very well come from fights within a coalition. 

Also if you check comment section there:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=3023844657658612&set=a.479644335412003

you will see Umlani comment:

"time will tell while i was with them 2 nharus roared and the mbiris didn't respond then one male roared to the south east and they immediately got up and moved in that direction...so we will see"

so Mbiri might have some contenders in their territorry or on the other border of their territory, potential lions which could injury larger Mbiri male. Overall there are many possibilities as to how those two males got their injuries. 
2 users Like Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Members  of the Birmingham Pride reinforcing their social bonds

Credit: Owen Dell

6 users Like T I N O's post