There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Brahim Offline
Moderators

@widmerk Great sightings was nice looking through them. 

So your post 9966 is eldest/tank with splitnose at bottom and top pic is the smallest Gomondwane who's usually with those 2. They are being referred to as Western Gomondwanes since they took Hippo pools pride from shishangeni males and are less frequently meeting up with the other 3 to the East.

And on your post 9970, is the bigger Nkaya pan male who was around Sweni at that point.

Most other stuff looked on point great stuff thanks for sharing
1 user Likes Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

@Tr1x24 Adam said he’s the youngest of the Nkaya pan males he saw him on H1-4 just south of s127. 

I remember a friend saw him end of last year aswell does look like him he was kinda big then also.
3 users Like Brahim's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-24-2023, 05:51 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-24-2023, 04:08 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: @Tr1x24 Adam said he’s the youngest of the Nkaya pan males he saw him on H1-4 just south of s127. 

I remember a friend saw him end of last year aswell does look like him he was kinda big then also.

Here, post by @"Timbavati" :

Two of the Nkaya pan males with a 1 young male at the S126
The 3 males were on the S126 and were chilling out with a few lionesses and cutest cubs
Photo credits: Sheila's Africa
KNP-S126-12/04/20

*This image is copyright of its original author

So what is the story of this guy? He followed his 2 older brothers around? He was not old enough to be territorial male, so he prob got bullied a lot by them and pride they controled.

I assume he didnt follow them north in 2021.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Also here i found photo of 2 males from 2016, named Nkaya Pan males:

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Idk not sure the older 2 nkaya are related they both seem different ages and looks. Maybe this young guy was just a young male of the pride who was kept around or a son or a younger bro of the bigger one who knows could be anything

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-24-2023, 07:48 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: Idk not sure the older 2 nkaya are related they both seem different ages and looks. Maybe this young guy was just a young male of the pride who was kept around or a son or a younger bro of the bigger one who knows could be anything

He is similar to bigger one, definetly related to him, prob brother.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Could be

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-24-2023, 05:54 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Also here i found photo of 2 males from 2016, named Nkaya Pan males:

Looks like the Sweni males...
2 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-24-2023, 08:44 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Looks like the Sweni males...

Could be, Nkaya Pan and Sweni are close, and Swenis where territorial there at that time.

Is the left male current last Sweni?
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-24-2023, 08:45 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-24-2023, 08:44 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Looks like the Sweni males...

Could be, Nkaya Pan and Sweni are close, and Swenis where territorial there at that time.

Is the left male current last Sweni?

Exactly, it’s the last Sweni male

United States widmerk Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-24-2023, 11:16 PM by widmerk )

Tr1- Yep the Lubyelubye father and son were mine (my pics have a little K in lower right), from June 2021 on H4-2 just South of H5. Had for an hour or so, lots of pics. Stunning males both.

That June 2021 trip was crazy productive, had Western Gomondwanes two times, Lubyelubye father and son for an hour, then the S79/Mazithi males posted earlier, 2 YM on the S21 posted earlier, 2 Ratelpan males below Olifants, Sweni/Nkaya male (?) mating on S126 posted earlier, S100 Sweni male posted earlier, 2 old Nsemani males for an hour who walked beside my bakkie, and a big gent on the H7 2km West of Orpen below.

I'll stop posting throwbacks assuming you guys have had enough but have others if interested.....

5 users Like widmerk's post

( This post was last modified: 08-24-2023, 11:18 PM by widmerk )

Tr1/Brahim/Timbavati, Not sure I'm following the thinking on the June 2021 male in the middle of the S126 (he was mating) from my post 9,970. Are you guys thinking it was likely an Nkaya Pan Male that became one of the three Sweni Males; of which there is now one left? 
Separately I know there's the four incredible Southern Sweni Males around S33 recently. 

Saw on Latest Sightings/Facebook the Leeubron males were on the S125 close to Hamilton's mating if the poster was correct.
1 user Likes widmerk's post

Timbavati, great to hear you'll be back in Kruger area next year. Man, when I have a trip schedule seems like all is right in the world.

I know you and Brahim were kind enough to updated the Kruger wide map in Nov 2021. Any thoughts on updating again?
2 users Like widmerk's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-24-2023, 11:16 PM)widmerk Wrote: Tr1/Brahim/Timbavati, Not sure I'm following the thinking on the June 2021 male in the middle of the S126 (he was mating) from my post 9,970. Are you guys thinking it was likely an Nkaya Pan Male that became one of the three Sweni Males; of which there is now one left? 
Separately I know there's the four incredible Southern Sweni Males around S33 recently. 

Saw on Latest Sightings/Facebook the Leeubron males were on the S125 close to Hamilton's mating if the poster was correct.

The male lion in the post number 9,970 it's definitely a Nkaya pan male. He isn't related with the Sweni males (of which now is down to only 1 male)

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-24-2023, 11:22 PM)widmerk Wrote: Timbavati, great to hear you'll be back in Kruger area next year. Man, when I have a trip schedule seems like all is right in the world.

I know you and Brahim were kind enough to updated the Kruger wide map in Nov 2021. Any thoughts on updating again?

The bush is something special indeed.

We will update the Kruger map next month...
4 users Like T I N O's post