There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Saw Casper and brothers yesterday on a kill they made,  H7 before Nsemani dam. 
Photo credits: Lettie Rogers

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The Shish males feasting on a buffalo kill.
Photo credits: Frikkie Grobler 

4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(11-30-2020, 01:28 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(11-30-2020, 07:06 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Taking a Throwback to October 2019 with three of the four Remaining Mpondo males quenching their thirst at a waterhole near Mpondo Dam!
Photo credits: Alistair Routledge
KNP-Mpondo Dam

The very definition of a wrecking crew, right there. Those guys were absolute destroyers.

Totally agree with you,and in fact,The Mpondo still are giving to talk about,Despite his recently loss of the 5th Members seems that the other 3 or 4 are doing well.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The old Lubyelubye male!
Photo credits: Big on Wild - Wildlife Blog & Photography

6 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

What a incredible portrait of three of the four Shishangaan young males feasting of a buffalo kill!
4 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-30-2020, 09:19 PM by Tr1x24 )

(11-30-2020, 08:19 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: What a incredible portrait of three of the four Shishangaan young males feasting of a buffalo kill!

Beasts!

I found something that i didn't know, and i think majority people dont know.. 

Casper was not born in  April 2014, yet February 2015.. There where 2 of white lions in Shishangaan pride, and older one died later on from starvation :

There where 2 litters of cubs in Shishangaan pride as we see, so some of this young males are almost 1 year younger then we taught.. 

We do know that Casper is not even 6 yrs old yet and not 6.5 yrs old as we taught...

Also, before Shishangaan males came in Singita Lebombo area, this area hasnt have white lions, who only accured in Timbavati area.. So its a speculation that Shishangaan males came from Timbavati or Kruger area near Timbavati.. 

Also, this young male is spitting image of Scorro and some of the lions from that area, he is sired by Grumpy Shishangaan male:

So im quite sure that Shishangaan males came from that area around/near Timbavati and have genes of some males or females from that area..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Exactly,Actually,Casper wasn't so old as some people was thinking of.
Great old report from 2017 written by Big on Wild - Wildlife Blog & Photography. If anyone wants read the entire blog here the link: http://bigonwild.co.za/shishangaan-males...of-kruger/
3 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(11-30-2020, 08:34 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-30-2020, 08:19 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: What a incredible portrait of three of the four Shishangaan young males feasting of a buffalo kill!

Beasts!

I found something that i didn't know, and i think majority people dont know.. 

Casper was not born in  April 2014, yet February 2015.. There where 2 of white lions in Shishangaan pride, and older one died later on from starvation :

There where 2 litters of cubs in Shishangaan pride as we see, so some of this young males are almost 1 year younger then we taught.. 

We do know that Casper is not even 6 yrs old yet and not 6.5 yrs old as we taught...

Also, before Shishangaan males came in Singita Lebombo area, this area hasnt have white lions, who only accured in Timbavati area.. So its a speculation that Shishangaan males came from Timbavati or Kruger area near Timbavati.. 

Also, this young male is spitting image of Scorro and some of the lions from that area :

So im quite sure that Shishangaan males came from that area around/near Timbavati and have genes of some males or females from that area..

Hard to know from where comes the Shish males,Especially because we not have any sightings of them in Timbavati, Though good observation tbh
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-30-2020, 09:47 PM by Potato )

"Also, before Shishangaan males came in Singita Lebombo area, this area hasnt have white lions, who only accured in Timbavati area.. So its a speculation that Shishangaan males came from Timbavati or Kruger area near Timbavati.. "

They do not need to came from Timbavati to carry white gene. Althrough white gena cames from Timbavati it doesn't mean Shish males themself came from Timbavati. It could be that their father or grandfather comes from that arena. Also to have white cubs both parents needs to carry white gene and still it gives only 25% percent chances to get white cub from it. In general white genes has to be really strong in the arena to make possiblity of having white cubs in the arena. 
2 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-30-2020, 09:46 PM)Potato Wrote: They do not need to came from Timbavati to carry white gene. Althrough white gena cames from Timbavati it doesn't mean Shish males themself came from Timbavati. It could be that their father or grandfather comes from that arena. Also to have white cubs both parents needs to carry white gene and still it gives only 25% percent chances to get white cub from it. In general white genes has to be really strong in the arena to make possiblity of having white cubs in the arena. 

Well its only my speculation, its impossible to know..

Actually i found that besides Timbavati, Umbabat and Balule area where white lions are recorded since 1970s/1980s, that 3 white cubs where observed around Tshokwane in the past and that 1 adult male lion was seen around Tshokwane area in 1992...

So yea, it can be that white gene is passed from generation to generation and that Shishangaan males doesn't have to be from areas where white lions where sighted.. 

Is there any info from where Shishangaan males came from?
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

2 s129/Mazithi Dam males:

Photo Credit: gabs.wildlife

Photo Credit: ubuntu_b.b

I love when lions have very distinguish and recognizable faces, when you can recognize them immidiately, like this 2 boys..
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the three Mjejane males
Photo credits: Marthie Human Photography

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The biggest among the three remaining young Jock males on territorial patrol
Photo credits: Marthie Human Photography

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Today, the  Mazorini pride was at waterhole on S131. 2 days ago they killed a buffalo about 4km from there. One young female looks like to be on heat. Otherwise this pride is moving quite often... Sable pride has not been seen recently, (As per Pierre Jonqueres) I think they are more staying on olifants river banks. North of Letaba river there is a coalition of 3 males lions. They are roaming about 4 km from the low water bridge and they are staying around! 

Special thanks to Pierre for giving this good update of the lion dynamics of the Northern area of KNP
5 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the two good looking Masorini males on the H14! 
Photo credits: Elize Roets
KNP-Phalaborwa

5 users Like T I N O's post