There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 10 Vote(s) - 2.3 Average
The Matimba coalition

Michael Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-15-2017, 05:02 AM by Michael )

(08-15-2017, 02:32 AM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to MalaMala. Video of the initial altercation between the two male lions by guest @akhil_ramani.

MALAMALA TODAY: August 14th. Today was all about Marthly, the smallest and arguably most picturesque part of our reserve... with 2 prides of lions, 2 coalitions, a herd of buffalo and 3 leopards! The 9 members of the Styx pride and one Gowrie male killed a buffalo near Stwise. They temporarily left the carcass to quench their thirst and upon returning discovered the Clarendon male with the impressive mane feeding on it- and he wasn't prepared to share. The scenes that played out over the course of the day had many of us scratching our heads. The males only came to blows once and it was brief but on multiple occasions they were only centimeters apart with both making a lot of noise. The lionesses also got involved but neither they nor the Gowrie male got to feed again. Most surprising were the brazen cubs who, despite the growls of the Clarendon male (not their father), casually strolled up to him and eventually even fed off the carcass right next to the male.

Click on it to play.

Not one hundred percent sure but I think it´s Nsuku, he is not a big lion both Nhenha and Mfumo are bigger than him but the size difference between him and Hairy Belly is huge I guess Hairy Belly is/was considered the biggest lion in SabiSands for a reason.
1 user Likes Michael's post

Chris Offline

(08-15-2017, 04:59 AM)Michael Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 02:32 AM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to MalaMala. Video of the initial altercation between the two male lions by guest @akhil_ramani.

MALAMALA TODAY: August 14th. Today was all about Marthly, the smallest and arguably most picturesque part of our reserve... with 2 prides of lions, 2 coalitions, a herd of buffalo and 3 leopards! The 9 members of the Styx pride and one Gowrie male killed a buffalo near Stwise. They temporarily left the carcass to quench their thirst and upon returning discovered the Clarendon male with the impressive mane feeding on it- and he wasn't prepared to share. The scenes that played out over the course of the day had many of us scratching our heads. The males only came to blows once and it was brief but on multiple occasions they were only centimeters apart with both making a lot of noise. The lionesses also got involved but neither they nor the Gowrie male got to feed again. Most surprising were the brazen cubs who, despite the growls of the Clarendon male (not their father), casually strolled up to him and eventually even fed off the carcass right next to the male.

Click on it to play.

Not one hundred percent sure but I think it´s Nsuku, he is not a big lion both Nhenha and Mfumo are bigger than him but the size difference between him and Hairy Belly is huge I guess Hairy Belly is/was considered the biggest lion in SabiSands for a reason.

Hairy belly is the bigger and the biggest male.
1 user Likes Chris's post

Abomai Offline

(08-15-2017, 04:59 AM)Michael Wrote:

Click on it to play.

Size difference is noticeable. Kinda disappointed with the BBoy's size and behaviour.
1 user Likes Abomai's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(08-15-2017, 04:59 AM)Michael Wrote: Not one hundred percent sure but I think it´s Nsuku, he is not a big lion both Nhenha and Mfumo are bigger than him but the size difference between him and Hairy Belly is huge

Uh, no. 

(08-15-2017, 05:45 AM)Abomai Wrote: Size difference is noticeable. Kinda disappointed with the BBoy's size and behaviour.

I'm not sure exactly what are you seeing. But the Birmingham male's size is equal if not bigger than Hb's, and he still has quite the time to grow.

His attitude is the dominant as well, Hairy belly acted extremely submissive the whole ordeal.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

hairy belly looks like a little bit bigger than nsuku and much more darker than him. so nsuku go drink some water and when come back he lost his place in the kill to hairy belly. what amazing happening. i think hairy belly was very arrogant in his behavior as he was out of his area and alone. other male would leave the area. and nsuku could not do much thing as he was alone and in 1 to 1 he has no advantage against hairy belly. anyway the styxs are with him so bboy still in the charge.
1 user Likes T Rabbit's post

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

(08-15-2017, 02:56 AM)sik94 Wrote: Hairybelly stood his ground well. He got lucky it was just one birmingham on the scene or it could have gotten ugly. Surprised that the birmingham didn't have a proper go at him, guess he knew the matimba was just desperate and didn't mean any harm.

i think it was not that. alone nsuku can do nothing against hairy belly. its impossible HB is big and darker althoug older than him. reason why nsuku had to let hairy belly eating. i mean he tried to scary him out of the kill but matimba hold his position. who was the lucky guy HB or nsuku? cause if ginger was there nsuku would be in trouble. same thing if another bboy was there.
1 user Likes T Rabbit's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

Since HB is alone and in birmingham males territory, its quite obvious who was the lucky one in this scenario. HB didn't know who was previously feeding on that carcass, for all he knows it could have been all four of the birminghams on the scene and that would have been a real problem.
3 users Like sik94's post

Chris Offline

(08-15-2017, 07:25 AM)T Rabbit Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 02:56 AM)sik94 Wrote: Hairybelly stood his ground well. He got lucky it was just one birmingham on the scene or it could have gotten ugly. Surprised that the birmingham didn't have a proper go at him, guess he knew the matimba was just desperate and didn't mean any harm.

i think it was not that. alone nsuku can do nothing against hairy belly. its impossible HB is big and darker althoug older than him. reason why nsuku had to let hairy belly eating. i mean he tried to scary him out of the kill but matimba hold his position. who was the lucky guy HB or nsuku? cause if ginger was there nsuku would be in trouble. same thing if another bboy was there.
You are 100 percent correct
2 users Like Chris's post

Abomai Offline

(08-15-2017, 06:50 AM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 04:59 AM)Michael Wrote: Not one hundred percent sure but I think it´s Nsuku, he is not a big lion both Nhenha and Mfumo are bigger than him but the size difference between him and Hairy Belly is huge

Uh, no. 

(08-15-2017, 05:45 AM)Abomai Wrote: Size difference is noticeable. Kinda disappointed with the BBoy's size and behaviour.

I'm not sure exactly what are you seeing. But the Birmingham male's size is equal if not bigger than Hb's, and he still has quite the time to grow.

His attitude is the dominant as well, Hairy belly acted extremely submissive the whole ordeal.
HB may have acted submissive, but he kept the meal. I expected a different outcome since the BBoy had the females around.

It's been said by rangers/guides that the BBoys are a bit smaller than average, and I imagined he would be smaller than HB, but not that much. On that video he looks a lot smaller to me, even if he's not.
1 user Likes Abomai's post

United States IñigoMontoya Offline
Sad  ( This post was last modified: 08-15-2017, 04:26 PM by IñigoMontoya )

The four males were BB?

RIP Ginger....(Back broken.... (That remember me to KT... Mr T arrive later to fight so) A horrrible death.

I think, this is the end which was a big Coalition. (Matimba Coalition).

Ummm, I dont appreciate a big diferent of size. I see that mane of Hairy Belly is more dark and thick but size.... more o less. (Is my apreciation in the video).
1 user Likes IñigoMontoya's post

Michael Offline

(08-15-2017, 02:31 PM)Sideliner Wrote:
*This image is copyright of its original author
Last week Ginger Matimba was attacked by 4 Male Lions, HB Matimba arrived late in fight, Ginger's back was already broken. RIP #safarilive
Looks like Mfumo in the picture
1 user Likes Michael's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(08-15-2017, 11:59 AM)Abomai Wrote: HB may have acted submissive, but he kept the meal.

Because the B male didn't push harder.
(08-15-2017, 11:59 AM)Abomai Wrote: I expected a different outcome since the BBoy had the females around.

I don't think it's a very reliable way to judge it, just because the ladies were there. The B male noticed all HB wanted was that meal, and he looked in full control of the situation. True, he didn't press it onwards, but it's understandable. After all, he was alone, the rival male was a big one, but also note that HB was acting submissively, and that says a lot. Kind of like what happen with that Northern Matimba male laying there all submissive with the rival growling at him.

(08-15-2017, 11:59 AM)Abomai Wrote: It's been said by rangers/guides that the BBoys are a bit smaller than average

It's the other way around. 
They're bigger than average, remember that one of their fathers was weighted and ended up being 270 kg, which is one the highest weights a wild lion can achieve.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(08-15-2017, 02:31 PM)Sideliner Wrote: Last week Ginger Matimba was attacked by 4 Male Lions, HB Matimba arrived late in fight, Ginger's back was already broken.

I'm extremely weary of this.

Where did you get this info? It hasn't been reported anywhere else, to my knowledge. How reliable is it?
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Abomai Offline

(08-15-2017, 05:08 PM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 11:59 AM)Abomai Wrote: HB may have acted submissive, but he kept the meal.

Because the B male didn't push harder.
Exactly

(08-15-2017, 11:59 AM)Abomai Wrote: I expected a different outcome since the BBoy had the females around.

I don't think it's a very reliable way to judge it, just because the ladies were there. The B male noticed all HB wanted was that meal, and he looked in full control of the situation. True, he didn't press it onwards, but it's understandable. After all, he was alone, the rival male was a big one, but also note that HB was acting submissively, and that says a lot. Kind of like what happen with that Northern Matimba male laying there all submissive with the rival growling at him.

You're right, it's not reliable, but it wasn't much of a judgement...more like I was surprised by how cool he was about losing his meal. There were many mouths to feed and an invader kept them all at bay. It's also possible that they were not as hungry since they had been feeding on it and stopped for a drink.

(08-15-2017, 11:59 AM)Abomai Wrote: It's been said by rangers/guides that the BBoys are a bit smaller than average

It's the other way around. 
They're bigger than average, remember that one of their fathers was weighted and ended up being 270 kg, which is one the highest weights a wild lion can achieve.

I always believed the rangers/guides because they say HB is the biggest male in Sabi Sands, and the BBoys look very stout. With those thick bodies, they could be heavier without being larger than average, but I'll never know for sure unless someone provides numbers. Based on the video, I'm under the impression that HB is much much larger. 
^^^^ Expand if you'd like to read my reply.
2 users Like Abomai's post

Abomai Offline

(08-15-2017, 05:10 PM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 02:31 PM)Sideliner Wrote: Last week Ginger Matimba was attacked by 4 Male Lions, HB Matimba arrived late in fight, Ginger's back was already broken.

I'm extremely weary of this.

Where did you get this info? It hasn't been reported anywhere else, to my knowledge. How reliable is it?

That's the kind of thing that should come with with links, or at least a warning that it's unconfirmed.
2 users Like Abomai's post