There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Felids Interactions - Interspecific Conflicts

BigLion39 Offline

Yes that is N'Waswashaka "Gored" male who is looking is great shape.  He has been living with that injury for quite sometime and I'm sure his 3 other bros have helped him along the way  .

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-17-2020, 07:56 PM by Ashutosh )

If not photoshopped, this is strangest natural thing I have seen in quite a while.

2 users Like Ashutosh's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(11-17-2020, 07:53 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: If not photoshopped, this is strangest natural thing I have seen in quite a while.

I consider this as an example of very good video editing unless someone can prove otherwise. I don´t believe easily to a deer which would be blind, deaf and lost sense of smell :) But a nice clip nevertheless!!
1 user Likes Shadow's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Ankit Singh Thakur
Tiger kills dhole !
Nagzira wildlife sanctuary (NNTR)
16th November 2020
In what must have been a dramatic sequence of action, a male tiger in Nagzira killed a dhole (wild dog). Not exclusive but rare indeed ! We were the first to reach the spot in morning safari. Noone saw the action but it was affirmed on the basis of following deductions:
* There were countless pugmarks of a male tiger around the body of the dead canid.
* No puncture marks but quite visible wounds and bruises along with a deformed spine.
* Excretion of fluids through anus signifying trauma or neurogenic shock.
* Trampled grasses around the body indicating the action that must have happened.
* Quite evident scrap marking of a tiger on the grass beside the dead body !
The entire sequence must have happened roughly 30-60 mins before we had reached the spot, just at the breaking of dawn. The tiger had then rested for sometime, clear impressions were visible on the road about 10 meters from the dead body. There is uncertainty about the identity of the male tiger but T9 was sighted around two weeks back almost at the same spot (Pitezari road).
Nagzira is known to have a thriving population of dholes. And this is not the first instance here where a tiger had killed dhole. The late legendary tigress of Nagzira, fondly knows as 'Maai' / A-mark was seen killing dholes couple of times in the past by many (me too) ! The insanely creepy screeching calls of dholes that followed later still brings goose bumps. 
Magical Nagzira !

*This image is copyright of its original author

2 users Like Pckts's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

At least 8 dogs were needed to corner this cougar. He's almost twice as big as them, probably an 80+ kg specimen. It's so sad to see the treatment these magnificent cats get here in North America

1 user Likes Balam's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

Does anyone know what happened here? I think it's a real photo but I doubt they're sharing a kill. My guess is the tiger/tigress chased off the leopard but even then I'm not sure why the leopard is sticking there. Awesome footage nonetheless.

3 users Like Luipaard's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

New study 

Reintroduced wolves and hunting limit the abundance of a subordinate apex predator in a multi-use landscape

Abstract

Top-down effects of apex predators are modulated by human impacts on community composition and species abundances. Consequently, research supporting top-down effects of apex predators occurs almost entirely within protected areas rather than the multi-use landscapes dominating modern ecosystems. Here, we developed an integrated population model to disentangle the concurrent contributions of a reintroduced apex predator, the grey wolf, human hunting and prey abundances on vital rates and abundance of a subordinate apex predator, the puma. Increasing wolf numbers had strong negative effects on puma fecundity, and subadult and adult survival. Puma survival was also influenced by density dependence. Overall, puma dynamics in our multi-use landscape were more strongly influenced by top-down forces exhibited by a reintroduced apex predator, than by human hunting or bottom-up forces (prey abundance) subsidized by humans. Quantitatively, the average annual impact of human hunting on equilibrium puma abundance was equivalent to the effects of 20 wolves. Historically, wolves may have limited pumas across North America and dictated puma scarcity in systems lacking sufficient refugia to mitigate the effects of competition.
1 user Likes Sully's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

(11-23-2020, 10:37 PM)Luipaard Wrote: Does anyone know what happened here? I think it's a real photo but I doubt they're sharing a kill. My guess is the tiger/tigress chased off the leopard but even then I'm not sure why the leopard is sticking there. Awesome footage nonetheless.

yea i highly doubt they're sharing..if there is a kill somewhere not in sight that leopardess was probably returning to it and stumbled upon this tiger you can tell she's hissing at the tiger there too.
2 users Like Rage2277's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

1 user Likes Balam's post

Russian Federation Nyers Offline

credits to Nili Gudhka

One of the most insane things I’ve ever witnessed. Still in shock. This is luluka and her cub. Just today morning we saw luluka, her cub and her baby daddy and just a few hours later, almost 20kms from where we saw her in the morning she came across a lone lioness. The most crazy thing to see was that the lioness got a crazy slap from luluka.

3 users Like Nyers's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Sound Up!

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Really shocking ! An adult cheetah caught by a croc...

On a LIVE safari for WildEarth, &Beyond Phinda guide, Busani Mtshali, came across a mother cheetah with two cubs. As the male cub approached the waterhole to quench his thirst, Busani noticed a crocodile was lurking in the water nearby. What followed was sad and hard to watch for Busani as he shared immediately afterward with LIVE viewers across the world. Sometimes nature can be harsh and difficult to understand. While we would prefer scenes like this to have happier endings, every animal has its role to play in the ‘circle of life’, even the crocodile. (Not suitable for sensitive viewers.)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-11-2020, 01:14 PM by Shadow )

(08-29-2018, 12:05 AM)AlexE Wrote:

Injured lion after fight with mexican jaguar 

this is our 7 year old african lion that has been a main attraction for our zoo for many years. few days ago a jaguar leaped a fence into the lions enclosure that he never knewed it was a lion enclosure until the lion charged at him. our guest witnessed a battle between the 2 cats that lasted for a few minutes before we were able to separate them. fortunately both cat lived. the lion however, needed medical treatment and will likely loose his right eye due to severe clawing. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I noticed this here and I´ve seen this somewhere else too some time ago. I didn´t see this corrected so here a link to Chinese media and what they tell about this lion:

http://news.ifeng.com/photo/society/2009...4384.shtml

Chinese text translated: 

" Lose love, fight eye injury, Ningbo Hospital performs eye surgery for lions

At 11:24 on March 24, 2009 Xinhua. In the operating room of Ningbo Youngor Zoo, staff assisted doctors in performing eye surgery on African lions.

[b]Xinhua reported March 23[/b] that day, the First Hospital of Ningbo City ophthalmologist after more than an hour of intense work for the African lion Ningbo Youngor Zoo "dragon" the successful implementation of eye surgery. The male African lion "Flying Dragon" is 10 years old this year. In February, he was scratched in his right eye while competing with other male lions for a mate. This resulted in the formation of a "granuloma" that affected his vision. The veterinarian subsequently performed an operation on him. After a period of time, the eyelid adhesions occurred again, his vision was blocked again, and the doctor performed operations on it again.

On March 23, in the operating room of Ningbo Youngor Zoo, doctors performed a B-ultrasound examination for the African lion before the operation. "

When looking at text and link, which AlexE shared it´s good to notice, that it´s an obvious fake profile created to pretend to represent the Ningbo Zoo. That profile has only three photos copied from some place what comes to treatment of this lion. And then that obvious made up story. Nothing else on the entire profile/account, so no question about it, that it´s not an official profile.

Also when looking at that story common sense should ring alarm bells.... jaguar jumping over fence to other enclosure, which in this case would have to be right next to jaguars enclosure. And then jaguar would have no idea to where it was jumping and that bigger cats there.... right, sure.. sounds right, right? And yes, that was sarcasm. Also whole text written without capital letters starting sentences etc.

So based on that fake account big cats would be kept in enclosures with maybe 2 meter high fences and nothing else and then they would keep there a blind and deaf jaguar with no sense of smell. Still in good enough condition to jump over fence Wink

Well, one example of it, that there are people with odd agendas creating that kind of stories in internet. There are some other links to newspaper articles concerning this case, but it was long time ago and not too many anymore functional.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Now my previous posting is as it should have been.

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned

Leopard kills African Dog.

"The leopard grabbed one of the wild dogs by the scruff of her neck. He turned to look at us (I think he knew I was staring at him in disbelief) all the while the wild dog still kicking and groaning in his jaws. The rest of the pack had now realised what had happened and immediately ran at the leopard, giving their best effort to save the female. Unfortunately, the Flat Rock male had already hoisted the wild dog up into a sausage tree.

The pack was now desperate; a few of them were circling the base of the tree and even attempting to jump up the trunk. The rest of the pack had now started running out of the river, the pups in front so as to keep them out of danger. We were still on foot, watching from literally thirty metres away, aghast.

We followed at a distance as they ran, and every so often one of the adults would look back, hoping to maybe catch sight of the now missing pack member. This was the really tragic part to witness; their obvious distress.

The distraught dogs ran and ran and RAN!!!! We left them running off into the darkness…

Around noon the next day, we went back to the sausage tree to do some investigating and hopefully get some closure. We caught a quick glimpse of the Flat Rock male as he slowly moved off into a thicket. We then managed to get a good look at the hoisted wild dog. There wasn’t much left but from what we could gather we think it was an adult female. It is not an easy thing to witness but as I said earlier, this is raw nature.

The fascinating thing about this very sorrowful event was the behaviour of the wild dogs; it reiterated how strong the bonds are between pack members.
But to end on a positive note, this particular pack is still 15 members strong which is pretty impressive!
"

https://blog.londolozi.com/2020/12/08/l ... -wild-dog/

1 user Likes Styx38's post