There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lion pictures and videos

India sanjay Online
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 05-27-2016, 06:33 PM by sanjay )

I read somewhere that this lion survived and met with his other brothers which are coalition of 8 nomadic lions. So I guess he would be fine
5 users Like sanjay's post

Switzerland Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

OK ! Happy conclusion so...
2 users Like Spalea's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

I think the Mbiri males are two or three, but they're being kicked off of the pride by the Thanda Impi males, I believe.

The Mbiri males are sons of the Matimba males.
4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

Credits to Pete Close:
I am seeing things I have never seen before at a fantastic rate,which helps to make the bushveld so enviable.To see 5 males,4 of which were definately fully grown and in their prime,and the 5th possibly a tad younger(judging by his mane),was to me amazing.They were definately a "unit"as can be seen by them bonding in the 3rd pic.These were seen near Biyamiti,close to the S25 in the very South of the park.I do not know the dynamics of the lion population there,but if these lions are not already established,I feel sorry for the males in any pride that they may attempt to take over.At least in the Phalaborwa area I do not know of any prides who have more then 2 "Kings".The last pic shows the male which may be a bit younger.Not great pics but open in full,you will get the idea.

*This image is copyright of its original author

I dont know who are they, i apologize.
10 users Like Gamiz's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Fred von Winckelmann Wildlife Photography.:
One of the dominant males of the Savuti based lion pride strolls majesticly at respectable distance behind his loyal pride while the morning wind is waving through his beautiful mane.

8 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Kirti Samarth

Wildlife conservation.....can u Agree...

"whats everyone looking at?"
11 users Like Pckts's post

United States stoja9 Offline
Banned

Laughing great caption, Pckts
2 users Like stoja9's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Some brotherly love. Even the ultimate predator can show some affection! 

Renosterkoppies males. I have been watching them the last two weeks from mating with a female to chasing some kudu and warthogs. South Africa - Kruger National Park. 
Credits to Arno Pietersen.

Wildanimal Lover

@Majingilane:

"Even the ultimate predator can show some affection! "

What does that mean "ultimate predator" ? The last one ? The top predator of this biotop, the savannah ?

The lions being sociable animals need to have some bonds, socials bonds. And we can be moved to see this "fearce animals" to express each other tenderness, moments of abandon and so on (and the photo of #518 is beautiful). Because they are expressive. Are they able to feel sadness ? Joy ? We believe yes, but we don't know anything. Total mystery...

Life is hard even for the top predators. Absolute certainty...

I remember a Derek Joubert's movie "Three lions into the night" ( I translate the french title "3 lions dans la nuit" ) relating a seizure of power by three male lions precisely. The male reignig in the past over this pride had no choice but fleeing. And thus waisting away after. Several months later, perhaps a year, or even more, in front of all the pride - with the numerous new cubs - this old lion returned. He was a lot skinner, quite weakened, only skin and bones. Just front of the pride, he laid down and never got up. What did it happen into inside his head ? To come back in front of his ancient pride, to see it once again, once ultimate again and die ? The Joubert's sentence to the picture "we refrain from judging and linking with human feelings (ie not to be anthropomorphic)  but sometimes...". 

"But sometimes..." That says it all... We will never know !

We can only glimpse a total mystery, something very powerful, at the time when these animals and lot of other are going to disappear because of us. Total tragedy.
4 users Like Spalea's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Quote:What does that mean "ultimate predator" ? The last one ? The top predator of this biotop, the savannah ?
@Spalea, sometimes I have the same troubles with the language. But in any case, I think it means "the top predator".
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

A sight for sore eyes when a black maned Kalahari male lion suddenly appears over a red sand dune.. Credits to Billy Steenkamp‎.

Wildanimal Lover

@Majingilane:

Very beautiful photo ! A black maned male lion over a laterite (orange red, red-brown and rich in iron oxyde and alumina soil)  dune, sublime !
4 users Like Spalea's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Black grouse photography:
Royal Dawn.

Olare Motorogi Conservancy, Kenya.

6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Fred von Winckelmann Wildlife Photography.:
This was one of the 5 coalition male lions that ruled the Savuti area a few years ago before the start of yet another dry period. 3 of them wandered of to other areas including this male. You know I love lions but of the 5 dominant males this male had absolutely the scariest expression on his face. A guy you certainly not want to encounter on foot.

7 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Niranjan B Venkatesh:
Intensity !

Kalahari Plains , Wilderness Safaris , Central Kalahari, Botswana.

6 users Like Tshokwane's post