There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lion pictures and videos

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

That's impressive athleticism for a big male lion.
3 users Like chaos's post

United States stoja9 Offline
Banned

A tiger, jaguar, leopard, and puma could all make the same jump. Not sure why you think that jump, while very impressive, proves anything
2 users Like stoja9's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Quote:A tiger, jaguar, leopard, and puma could all make the same jump. Not sure why you think that jump, while very impressive, proves anything
@stoja9 we all know that. In fact, any of those species would make a better jump I think. But there's no need to start an argument over a single opinion. I decided to leave that comment when I saw it because I think that here we are all mature enough to avoid getting angry and get all bothered over a mere opinion.
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

Greece LionKiss Offline

(12-28-2015, 08:17 PM)stoja9 Wrote: A tiger, jaguar, leopard, and puma could all make the same jump. Not sure why you think that jump, while very impressive, proves anything

because Lions don't usually jump that high in normal conditions, that's why it is very impressive,
2 users Like LionKiss's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-29-2015, 04:27 AM by Pckts )

Technically it's not that "high of a jump", his hind legs don't get extremely far off the ground, he grabs a hold with his front limbs to pull him self up. In fact with most big cats, they don't actually jump as high as we think, because their spines are so flexible they are able to elongate their bodies to give the impression that they are jumping further or higher than they really are. 
All that being said, remember this is only in relative terms, they still jump very high. But the true "leapers" will be the cats with longer hind legs. Like the puma, caracal etc. 
But seeing a real "big cat" get off the ground gives me an impression of power over agility. I'm always impressed when I see lions and tigers leap. It takes a lot of power to move those big bodies.
3 users Like Pckts's post

United States stoja9 Offline
Banned

(12-28-2015, 10:11 PM)Majingilane Wrote:
Quote:A tiger, jaguar, leopard, and puma could all make the same jump. Not sure why you think that jump, while very impressive, proves anything
@stoja9 we all know that. In fact, any of those species would make a better jump I think. But there's no need to start an argument over a single opinion. I decided to leave that comment when I saw it because I think that here we are all mature enough to avoid getting angry and get all bothered over a mere opinion.

What are you talking about? Who is starting an argument? Who is angry or bothered? Christ....talk about making something out of nothing. Get a grip.

(12-28-2015, 11:18 PM)LionKiss Wrote:
(12-28-2015, 08:17 PM)stoja9 Wrote: A tiger, jaguar, leopard, and puma could all make the same jump. Not sure why you think that jump, while very impressive, proves anything

because Lions don't usually jump that high in normal conditions, that's why it is very impressive,

I very clearly said it was impressive. My question was why does that jump prove that lions are "the supreme warriors of the animal kingdom." The two are completely unrelated. It's like saying because I have good penmanship proves I'm the next Picasso.
2 users Like stoja9's post

India sanjay Online
Co-owner of Wildfact

(12-30-2015, 09:09 AM)stoja9 Wrote: What are you talking about? Who is starting an argument? Who is angry or bothered? Christ....talk about making something out of nothing. Get a grip.

Don't get panic.
(12-30-2015, 09:09 AM)stoja9 Wrote: I very clearly said it was impressive. My question was why does that jump prove that lions are "the supreme warriors of the animal kingdom." The two are completely unrelated. It's like saying because I have good penmanship proves I'm the next Picasso.

It is just an opinion of her (I guess LionKiss is lady). And opinion should not be question if it is not a fact which is scientifically wrong. Everyone is free to praise the animal which he/she like.
The more correct general form of this sentence is "Lions are one of the supreme warriors of the animal kingdom in his domain". I can understand your concern but this should not be seen as a vs debate starting, Everyone has his fav animal and he/she can appreciate the animal.
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Greece LionKiss Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 07:04 PM by LionKiss )

@stoja9

you are totally missing the point of this video and the inference I made.
The Lions are indeed "the supreme warriors of the animal kingdom" because they impress and surprise humans very often.
In this video a Lion was in zoo with a 2-3 meter wall around him to keep him imprisoned, humans thought that 2-3 meter wall will be OK to keep this Lion where they wanted.
Nevertheless the Lion fought with "teeth and claw" against this restriction, gathered all his power and will and jumped out of this prison cell, he beat us, the humans .
The jump, if you judge from his back legs is not that high but the coordinated movements he made brought the VICTORY.

If you read the History of mankind the Lion has always been the symbol of many Empires, Kingdoms, is it coincidence?
In Trafalgar Square in London there are marble Lions,

*This image is copyright of its original author

in Chicago in front of the Art Institute there two Lion statues, see below

In the ancient world 3000 years ago or more the Lion was admired for its supremacy at war.
it is not only our opinion here in this forum but the opinion of all Empires of the History of Mankind that the Lion is a supreme animal.
1 user Likes LionKiss's post

Greece LionKiss Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 02:47 PM by LionKiss )

this is from Italy, Florance showing a LION having the entire globe under his grip/paw, Lion has always been the way Kings and Emperors wanted to rule the world.
It was not a tiger, jaguar, leopard or puma which can jump or a monkey which can jump higher than all of them,
It was the LION.

The King of England Richard I was called Richard the LionHeart, because of his reputation as a great military leader and warrior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_I_of_England

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 06:52 PM by Tshokwane )

@stoja9
Quote:What are you talking about? Who is starting an argument? Who is angry or bothered?
Clearly you were. Otherwise, you wouldn't have felt the need to answer or correct that statement. 

@LionKiss, we know the lion is seen that way by many nations. But it is a very subjective view of the animal, often exaggerated to the point of making it the "supreme" where in reality it is just an animal.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Greece LionKiss Offline

@Majingilane

I would disagree, the Lion, of course it is an animal, but it has many characteristics of a human.
First of all he is destined to conquer territory, he believes that on this planet certain areas belong to him and he will fight to achieve this.
He is also competition and war between the Lions as there is between the humans.
The male Lions are sent out of the pride to face the world, this happens to humans too.
The Lion fights for his "rights" as a human with virtues and values will fight for them too.
He also wants to be the ruler of his area and demands others to submit to his rule, 

So, to my understanding, Lion is a special animal, not like the cows, the hippo, the cats and the dogs

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Quote:First of all he is destined to conquer territory, he believes that on this planet certain areas belong to him and he will fight to achieve this.
Destined? It is an animal that follows instincts. All predators try to conquer a territory of their own.
Quote:He is also competition and war between the Lions as there is between the humans.
It's clear there is going to be competition among predators, it's no different for the others.
Quote:The male Lions are sent out of the pride to face the world, this happens to humans too.
The same happens to other predators, were their mothers chase them away and they have to fend for themselves until they grow up.
Quote:The Lion fights for his "rights" as a human with virtues and values will fight for them too.
That's one of the perks of being a social animal. It's no different for wolves, hyenas, wild dogs, chimps and gorillas. 
Quote:He also wants to be the ruler of his area and demands others to submit to his rule
That's one of the benefits of being the apex predator of the area. Tigers do the same were they live, leopards do the same were they are the largest cat, bears and wolves do the same, jaguars do the same in the Americas.

See my point? Each of those characteristics are not exclusive of the lions. Subconsciously, some people might get drawn to this and use it as inspiration, and others might do the same with other big predators, as many do with the tiger, as Mayas and Aztecs did with the jaguar(to the point of worship him) and as barbarians did with wolves and bears.
5 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Perfectly said majingilane!

I was just about to say, "it's a big world with lots of history" "many cultures throughout time have worshipped many animals"

Unless the culture has expierence with an animal they will not worship it because they have no idea it even exists.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Greece LionKiss Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 10:55 PM by LionKiss )

all big powers of the world had/have as symbol an animal, even today the USA have as symbol the Eagle, do you believe that Americans worship the Eagle like the barbarians did with the wolves?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c...rse%29.svg

the fact that the Lion has been used as a symbol by so many powers in the past proves that they accepted the Lion as a supreme animal with exceptional characteristics.

worshiping an animal is under-culture, only real primitive people would worship an animal, even a human, but admiring an animal for its distinct characteristics is what have happened by those powers in the past and present.

lioncrazy Offline

Did I click in the right category??? Isn't this lions pictures and video thread not are lions better than any social animal??? Come on we all love lions that's why we are here but all animals are supreme in there own way just my take on this
5 users Like lioncrazy's post