There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 12 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris)

Canada GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(02-25-2015, 03:26 AM)'Roflcopters' Wrote: @GrizzlyClaws

here are the email extracts from Kingtheropod's contact with the Cherry brook zoo.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Do you have the enlarged version?

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

I am not exactly sure what your question was but here's the link to the original topic

http://animalsversesanimals.yuku.com/rep...ed-weighed

[img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
1 user Likes Roflcopters's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

(02-25-2015, 03:40 AM)'Roflcopters' Wrote: I am not exactly sure what your question was but here's the link to the original topic

http://animalsversesanimals.yuku.com/rep...ed-weighed

[img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Yeah, i do remember the original link, but now those screenshot pics have been blurred. How come?

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

that's strange, they're not really blurred on my screen. 

Can a third party please confirm if the shots are shown properly and not blurred? [img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
1 user Likes Roflcopters's post

Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-25-2015, 04:30 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

Some huge tigress canine, perhaps over 5 inches in the full length, also no void inside.

Although it is huge in the length, but it is proportionally slender compared to the canine teeth of the male tigers, much like the canine teeth of the other female tigers i've seen before.

Wanderfalke Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Baikal is dead!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/t...-1.2778510

Canine Expert
Moderators

(02-25-2015, 04:29 AM)'Wanderfalke' Wrote: Baikal is dead!

Not the same Baikal (the huge one).

The dead one was an average 400 pounder.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I tried to weigh my tooth on my phone app, but its so long that it hangs off both sides and its also uneven. I kept getting around 4-5 ozs but that is definitely not confirmed since its impossible to get a correct weight on that small of a phone. I would need a IPAD to weigh it properly.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

(02-25-2015, 04:36 AM)'Pckts' Wrote: I tried to weigh my tooth on my phone app, but its so long that it hangs off both sides and its also uneven. I kept getting around 4-5 ozs but that is definitely not confirmed since its impossible to get a correct weight on that small of a phone. I would need a IPAD to weigh it properly.

Because it is an Indochinese one, that's why it is not as heavy as the Amur one.

The Amur one around 6 inches will usually get around 6-8 ounces.

Not sure about the density of the Bengal canine teeth though.
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-25-2015, 04:39 AM)'GrizzlyClaws' Wrote:
(02-25-2015, 04:36 AM)'Pckts' Wrote: I tried to weigh my tooth on my phone app, but its so long that it hangs off both sides and its also uneven. I kept getting around 4-5 ozs but that is definitely not confirmed since its impossible to get a correct weight on that small of a phone. I would need a IPAD to weigh it properly.

Because it is an Indochinese one, that's why it is not as heavy as the Amur one.

The Amur one around 6 inches will usually get around 6-8 ounces.

Not sure about the density of the Bengal canine teeth though.

So at least my scale is pretty close. It was going up and down between 3.9ozs to 4.6ozs or so. But if i were to guess, I think 4ozs would be the closet I can estimate from the terrible scale I had to use.

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Wanderfalke Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(02-25-2015, 04:31 AM)'GrizzlyClaws' Wrote:

thanks for the clarification. Can anyone tell me, why there are only such few photos of him and especially no recent ones?

1 user Likes Wanderfalke's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

I think @Kingtheropod could take more recent pics of Baikal, and we just have to wait him to come back.

BTW, the most recent pic i saw Baikal was taken in December 2013, he was 16 years old and definitely lost a lot of weight.

He was weighed at 850 pounds at the age of 12, which was already not his prime weight. So i can imagine he should weigh close to 900 pounds at the age of 8-10.

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

Hi,

How you got the weight of 400lbs for that dead tiger ?

1 user Likes Apollo's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

(02-25-2015, 10:54 PM)'Apollo' Wrote:

Hi,

How you got the weight of 400lbs for that dead tiger ?

By estimation, since he got killed by a 2 years old 350 pounder.

The average captive male Amurs are about 450-500 pounds, while this male was quite old, so it was plausible that he may lose more weight.

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 02-26-2015, 01:10 AM by Roflcopters )

for all we know, It could've been a two on one fight. remember no one saw the actual fight, just heard the commotion and figured something was wrong and that's when Baikal's dead body was found. The enclosure that Baikal managed to get into had two sub-adult male brothers weighing around 350lbs each.. 

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/09/25/ti...e-park-zoo

I'm of opinion that they both teamed up to eliminate him and from my understanding, Sub-adults do team up occassionally to wipe out a common enemy. (In the wild and captivity) [img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

2 users Like Roflcopters's post