There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-28-2024, 03:35 AM by Ngonya )

(08-28-2024, 03:15 AM)Potato Wrote: I was counting that one too. I though it was in Sabi abi (for whatever reason).
(08-28-2024, 03:15 AM)Potato Wrote: I was counting that one as well because at one point Nkhulus ended up very far into Gijmas territory, deep into Sabi Sabi.
I understand it, i also thought about it back then. And yeah it would've been the more obvious, the bigger coalition looking for more land. 

(08-28-2024, 03:15 AM)Potato Wrote: I would expect oposite. Nkhulus are entering thier prime and with their numbers are powerfull coalition, even considering not all of them are fully healty. I definitelly would expect them to seek more prides and lands around which we see by ventures of them into Gijima and most recently also Ndzengas lands.
They have been dominant for barely or not even a year yet, so it doesnt surprise me as much, after all those things can take sometime.
But i think they'll attempt some territorial expansion sooner or later.

(08-28-2024, 03:15 AM)Potato Wrote: Anyway I think Nkhulus are very underestimated on this forum.
Agree. I think people tend to associate thinness to weakness 

ofc they arent as strong as they could be, but they are 6 males and numbers do play big roles in conflicts (usually). For now they dont seem much interested in expanding and are also not really experienced, but as time passes we'll see how they behavior can/will change.
3 users Like Ngonya's post

Ngonya Offline

(08-28-2024, 04:18 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: If the Nkhulus where healthy they’d all be trying to take over more prides
As i said they've been dominant for barely a year or so, we have almost no info on cubs tho. Being healthy or not wouldn't change as much probably. their pace is nothing too out of the ordinary, especially when they seem to have two prides under their control and most of them without cubs, why expand? What would be their hurry?

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-28-2024, 06:32 AM by Ngonya )

(08-28-2024, 04:51 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Most of the sand river pride females are like 3 years old I think only 1 was 4 and I’ve only seen maybe 2 other older females I know they’ve killed some females but they’d expand because that’s what big coalitions do they’ve had this pride for a year yes? Ok these females aren’t mating with them so they’re looking for more look at what they’re doing now going “deep” into nwaswitshaka territory roaring if they had where healthy don’t you think things would be different
They've been seen more than once in the company of 5 Sand River females, i doubt they would tolerate that many 3 year old lionesses as you say, unless they were ready to mate.

Still, mating doesnt get the job done, no cubs have been born yet and there is the Plains Camp pride around too.
And what would change if they were healthier, they would mate faster for the lionesses to give birth as soon as possible? Again, no reason to expand until today. Look at Ndzhengas, it took them more than a year to seriously start expanding (going for Kambula pride) and correct me if im wrong, but Nkhulus got more lioness than they did before moving central Sabi Sand.

Nkhulus have barely reached a year as pride males, so yeah they could be showing interest in expanding soon but even in a scenario as them all being healthy, i honestly dont see how they would have already expanded as fast as you claim. 
Well, by your picture i guess i can associate the logic with the mighty Mapogos huh? 

Mapogo were exceptional lions, once in a lifetime definitly. When Nkhulus first came everyone was associating and refering to them as 'the new Mapogos', so yeah i get the hurry, but the Nkhulus couldnt care less. 

(08-28-2024, 04:51 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: if you honestly think they’d be doing the same thing if healthy then I guess I don’t know anything about lions lol
oh so not agreeing with your opinion (that is based on nothing as far as i understand) makes someone ignorant about the subject? Thats quite the logic right there buddy! Laughing

(08-28-2024, 04:51 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: but I know for a fact it wouldn’t be just 4 today they’d all be together and see more often
oh they told you that? im glad. 
Its normal for male lions to be more scattered when they become territorial, thats usually them going after the females to mate. Even when Nkhulus were in good condition the older members were already more dominant, thats normal in big coalitions:
The bigger/older brothers will be more dominant. The younger and weaker will go look for their luck and opportunities elsewhere so they can suppress whatever their needs. Those were 7 male lions before Dreadlocks went missing, you expected them to be hanging out all the time together to this day? Not even Mapogos did that, in fact they barely hanged out as 6 casually after becomming their territorial (based on pictures, obviously), no wonder the younger brothers split, i wonder why? 

(08-28-2024, 04:51 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: healthy #2 brother bullying I think #5 come on now
it was #2 bullying #3
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(08-28-2024, 05:41 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(08-28-2024, 04:51 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Most of the sand river pride females are like 3 years old I think only 1 was 4 and I’ve only seen maybe 2 other older females I know they’ve killed some females but they’d expand because that’s what big coalitions do they’ve had this pride for a year yes? Ok these females aren’t mating with them so they’re looking for more look at what they’re doing now going “deep” into nwaswitshaka territory roaring if they had where healthy don’t you think things would be different
They've been seen more than once in the company of 5 Sand River females, i doubt they would tolerate that many 3 year old lionesses as you say, unless they were ready to mate.

Still, mating doesnt get the job done, no cubs have been born yet and there is the Plains Camp pride around too.
And what would change if they were healthier, they would mate faster for the lionesses to give birth as soon as possible? Again, no reason to expand until today. Look at Ndzhengas, it took them more than a year to seriously start expanding (going for Kambula pride) and correct me if im wrong, but Nkhulus got more lioness than they did before moving central Sabi Sand.

Nkhulus have barely reached a year as pride males, so yeah they could be showing interest in expanding soon but even in a scenario as them all being healthy, i honestly dont see how they would have already expanded as fast as you claim. 
Well, by your picture i guess i can associate the logic with the mighty Mapogos huh? 

Mapogo were exceptional lions, once in a lifetime definitly. When Nkhulus first came everyone was associating and refering to them as 'the new Mapogos', so yeah i get the hurry, but the Nkhulus couldnt care less. 

(08-28-2024, 04:51 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: if you honestly think they’d be doing the same thing if healthy then I guess I don’t know anything about lions lol
oh so not agreeing with your opinion (that is based on nothing as far as i understand) makes someone ignorant about the subject? Thats quite the logic right there buddy! Laughing

(08-28-2024, 04:51 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: but I know for a fact it wouldn’t be just 4 today they’d all be together and see more often
Its normal for male lions to be more scattered when they become territorial, thats usually them going after the females to mate. Even when Nkhulus were in good condition the older members were already more dominant, thats normal in big coalitions:
The bigger/older brothers will be more dominant. The younger and weaker will go look for their luck and opportunities elsewhere so they can suppress whatever their needs. Those were 7 male lions before Dreadlocks went missing, you expected them to be hanging out all the time together to this day? Not even Mapogos did that, in fact they barely hanged out as 6 casually after becomming their territorial (based on pictures, obviously), no wonder the younger brothers split, i wonder why? 

(08-28-2024, 04:51 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: healthy #2 brother bullying I think #5 come on now
it was #2 bullying #3

I understand you very simple thank you

Ttimemarti Offline

(08-28-2024, 05:41 AM)Ngonya Wrote:

it was #2 bullying #3

Exactly healthy brother bullying unhealthy brother. Ignorant logic that healthy males would be better off than unhealthy males is ignorant? How the is that ignorant 6 healthy mapogos successful no one would challenge them 6 healthy mayambulas no one is challenging them 6 healthy matimabas unchallenged 4 Birminghams healthy successful with 3 prides at the same time after losing their 5th brother 7 maybe now 6 unhealthy Nkhulus unsuccessful how is that ignorant that if why where healthy they’d be much better off when history has seen large groups come in take prides and then split smaller groups don’t Birminghams and majingaline but I’m ignorant lmao I’m ignorant lol you wanna call me ignorant LOL get outta here touch grass BRO my statement that healthy coalition of a large number of males would be better off than unhealthy ones but I’m ignorant how do you block people on here lmao

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-28-2024, 03:34 AM)Ngonya Wrote: I think people tend to associate thinness to weakness 
Yeah, but that too seem to me like false accussation towards Nkuhuls. If you look at them in comparison to Dreadlocks De Laporte (who wasn't small lion by any mean)  or in comparison to Gijimas on that recent video of Gijimas running after Nkulus, Nkhulu males do not look small at all and by any mean.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-28-2024, 05:13 PM by Ngonya )

(08-28-2024, 09:06 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: but I’m ignorant lmao I’m ignorant lol you wanna call me ignorant LOL
i didnt call you ignorant nowhere in my sentence, excuse me?

(08-28-2024, 09:06 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: unhealthy Nkhulus unsuccessful
unsuccessful? were they already displaced and we dont know? do u have some private information that we dont know?  
They are dominants over two prides and siring cubs, how is that unsuccesful? just because they dont go out there expanding and ousting multiple males within a year as dominants that makes them unsuccesful?

(08-28-2024, 09:06 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: get outta here touch grass BRO my statement that healthy coalition of a large number of males would be better off than unhealthy ones but I’m ignorant how do you block people on here lmao
you got really pressed over such small, and yet no one called you ignorant lol.

U couldnt quote anything i said and try to give it a proper answer, lets not waste mine nor your time anymore, u clearly not here to listen to anyone, not the first time thought. 
I've been trying to keep up with the Nkhulus for quite sometime so whatever i say is based on what i've seen so far and what i believe, and you come out of nowhere and start a whole drama acting like what i said is just ridiculous, when you yourself based a whole essay on nothing? do better.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Ximhungwes ambushing Ravenscourt, who had territorial dispute with Tamba, luckly most famous and legenday leopard in Sabi Sands manage to escape:

10 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

Folks, I believe it is time to move the conversation along, if any of you wish to continue your conversation, I would ask that it be done in PMs. Thank you!
4 users Like BA0701's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@ramel1300 I don't recall such reports, I think it was reported that Amahle was caught by the 2 BDM who beat him up a bit and left.

Eorenji, however, at some point, was seen with a very scarred face with the report saying he had "fought the BDM", given the nature and location of the wounds it must have been a 1v1.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Queen Tsalala got a meal.

9 users Like afortich's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-29-2024, 03:17 AM by NLAL11 )

(08-28-2024, 10:58 PM)afortich Wrote: Queen Tsalala got a meal.

Expert kudu hunter, just like her mother. Hopefully she got to keep the meal.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

Floppy and K12 hanging together still. I almost feel bad for her a bit.

4 users Like T_Ferguson's post

KM600 Offline

(08-29-2024, 02:29 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Floppy and K12 hanging together still. I almost feel bad for her a bit.

I’m happy for her, ofc I’d rather she was with a more suitable male(s), that’d eventually help her start own pride, it’s still a great thing tho. A split that was very much needed between her and her brothers and hopefully a split that stays permanent.
3 users Like KM600's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-29-2024, 02:29 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Floppy and K12 hanging together still. I almost feel bad for her a bit.

Those are NK Breakaways, not FE and K12.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post