There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(06-26-2024, 10:02 PM)Ngonya Wrote: The darker maned young Nkuhuma male in Kruger

*This image is copyright of its original author

by @seguimosencombate

He’s got such a beautiful and unique face! Interesting how all the boys have stand out traits and the kambula boys all look extremely similar.
So the Nkuhuma boys have been trying to take over the mantimahl pride? Would they officially get a coalition name?

Portugal Rui Ferreira Offline

(06-27-2024, 02:19 AM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
(06-26-2024, 10:02 PM)Ngonya Wrote: The darker maned young Nkuhuma male in Kruger

by @seguimosencombate

He’s got such a beautiful and unique face! Interesting how all the boys have stand out traits and the kambula boys all look extremely similar.
So the Nkuhuma boys have been trying to take over the mantimahl pride? Would they officially get a coalition name?
Yeah it's quite easy to tell them apart, the twins we're very similar ( minus the lipscar on one of them) 
You got Ridge Nose's Son who is built like a horse and has a very dark mane 
Chela's Son who turned out to be a carbon copy of Blondie
And PE's Son who.. yeah he is the other one basicly 
Stange that you say the Kambulas are extremly similar, I find quite easy to tell who is who ( maybe K6 and K3 take me sometime to identify who is who )

Romania Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-27-2024, 07:42 AM by Cath2020 )

Chela's son looks like her.  The nose shape, ridges, etc.  Her genes dominate, that's what struck me. 

But yea, I agree that they look unique and different from one another.

RN son looks a bit more like Mohawk... but with a longer, Matimba muzzle... and not really like his mom. His orange eyes stand out, and neither of his parents had such dark eyes, certainly not the pale eyed RN.  He doesn't have the marked ridges of RN either ... but Chela's son has obvious ones.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

Chelas boy and should be Ridge Nose son to the left of him with his back turned

4 users Like KM600's post

Go131810 Offline

(06-27-2024, 07:42 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Chela's son looks like her.  The nose shape, ridges, etc.  Her genes dominate, that's what struck me. 

RN son looks a bit more like Mohawk... but with a longer, Matimba muzzle... and not really like his mom. His orange eyes stand out, and neither of his parents had such dark eyes, certainly not the pale eyed RN.  He doesn't have the marked ridges of RN either ... but Chela's son has obvious ones.
Hi has there only been two young Nukhuma male lions seen? Not 3 anymore?
2 users Like Go131810's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(06-29-2024, 07:29 AM)Go131810 Wrote:
(06-27-2024, 07:42 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Chela's son looks like her.  The nose shape, ridges, etc.  Her genes dominate, that's what struck me. 

There has been a recent sighting of possibly him, it was in one of our forums and someone was asking for a positive ID…so maybe and hopefully? 
The Nkuhuma boys are in a relatively unknown and far area so maybr Mohawk just got separated in a similar way but instead of staying he chose to come back home.
1 user Likes GhostCatP-22's post

Go131810 Offline

(06-27-2024, 05:03 AM)Rui Ferreira Wrote:
(06-27-2024, 02:19 AM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:

by @seguimosencombate

Yes the Kambula male lions look very similar. I think that is, because the fathers are Nehena, and or Tinyo. I think maybe even most are Nehena sons, and their mothers were also sisters and one lioness is mother to 3 of the 4 Kambula male lions in Sabi Sands. The Nukhuma lions their mothers were Matimba and Birmingham lioness daughters and there were 3 Avoca male lions. 
Yeah it's quite easy to tell them apart, the twins we're very similar ( minus the lipscar on one of them) 
You got Ridge Nose's Son who is built like a horse and has a very dark mane 
Chela's Son who turned out to be a carbon copy of Blondie
And PE's Son who.. yeah he is the other one basicly 
Stange that you say the Kambulas are extremly similar, I find quite easy to tell who is who ( maybe K6 and K3 take me sometime to identify who is who )
Yes I agree the Kambula male lions are similar. Three of them have the same mother . The Nukhuma male lions I am not sure if their mothers were all Matimba daughters and Birminghams daughters. Also a reason why the Nukhuma male lions may be so different if one of the Matimba daughters was daughter of the oldest Matimba he was a big male lion not born in the Birmingham pride. It is why the Nukhuma male lions maybe so different.
1 user Likes Go131810's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Yeah all the nkuhuma males mothers are matimba daughters except for the youngest one that is still with the pride and the kambula males it’ll get easier to tell them apart k4 and k5 are easy just k3 and k6 don’t have that one think that sticks out yet
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

(06-29-2024, 08:26 AM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
(06-29-2024, 07:29 AM)Go131810 Wrote:

There has been a recent sighting of possibly him, it was in one of our forums and someone was asking for a positive ID…so maybe and hopefully? 
The Nkuhuma boys are in a relatively unknown and far area so maybr Mohawk just got separated in a similar way but instead of staying he chose to come back home.

It was confirmed to be the missing twin. Sighting was from 10 days ago.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Go131810 Offline

(06-29-2024, 12:18 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Yeah all the nkuhuma males mothers are matimba daughters except for the youngest one that is still with the pride and the kambula males it’ll get easier to tell them apart k4 and k5 are easy just k3 and k6 don’t have that one think that sticks out yet

Hi yes seeing pictures and video; is easy to know the Kambula male lions. Yes there is always two that seem be a lot similar. I am still not sure who is who. I do know 3 have the same mom, and K4 is growing strong and is starting to look like Nehena. He does look like Nehena. There is also a Kambula male lion I am familiar with but I am not sure if he is K6 or another Kambula male lion.

United States T_Ferguson Offline

It's sad to see him like this, but he's alive.  I guess that's definitely something.  He looks good too.

4 users Like T_Ferguson's post

(06-30-2024, 07:11 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: It's sad to see him like this, but he's alive.  I guess that's definitely something.  He looks good too.

Looks very similar to the smaller BDM when his mane like this. Good to see he’s still kicking.
4 users Like KM600's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(06-30-2024, 07:19 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(06-30-2024, 07:11 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: It's sad to see him like this, but he's alive.  I guess that's definitely something.  He looks good too.

Looks very similar to the smaller BDM when his mane like this. Good to see he’s still kicking.

I read somewhere that they were all basically together a couple of days ago on a kill.  Smaller BDM, S. Avoca, and the Talamati's.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-30-2024, 07:57 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Smaller BDM, S. Avoca, and the Talamati's.

That was N.Avoca.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post