There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The largest recorded Orca

ruimendes1 Offline

*This image is copyright of its original author
Quote:Huge specimen unfortunately in the photo we cannot see the complete specimen

ruimendes1 Offline

Quote:6 m and 7500 kg, captured in Cabo Higuer, Hondarribia, Spain, 1912
1 user Likes ruimendes1's post

ruimendes1 Offline

Quote:6 m and 4000 kg, Santander, Spain, 1955
1 user Likes ruimendes1's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(06-03-2024, 12:35 AM)ruimendes1 Wrote:
Did they kill this ocra?

ruimendes1 Offline

(06-03-2024, 02:16 AM)lionuk Wrote:
(06-03-2024, 12:35 AM)ruimendes1 Wrote:
Did they kill this ocra?

ruimendes1 Offline

Quote:Famous specimen Old Tom body washed up on the shore in 1930 Sad
2 users Like ruimendes1's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-04-2024, 02:09 AM by lionuk )

(06-03-2024, 01:57 PM)ruimendes1 Wrote:
Quote:Famous specimen Old Tom body washed up on the shore in 1930 Sad

ruimendes1 Offline

Quote:Incredible photo of what appears to be a huge specimen measuring 8 meters or more in length alongside a brave swimmer?

United States callmejoe9 Offline

I would like to announce that while some journals chose to pass on my manuscript (though not without some positive reception and strong recommendation by some of the reviewers), I will be imminently releasing my manuscript as a preprint within the next week or so.

ruimendes1 Offline

Quote:Huge Orca specimen close to one man in the small boat 
5 users Like ruimendes1's post

Okay, my preprint is finally out. It's a review on not just the size variation for the killer whale, but also two large beaked whales and the sperm whale.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/...5.610699v1

In my deep search of the literature, I've found that the largest verified weight for a killer whale was a piecemeal weighing of 9,950 kg taken from an 8.6 m male from the Antarctic that I mentioned years earlier. This was indeed among the literature published by Sleptsov,1965 (I had to visit a reference library to find this source). I've also ran statistical analyses on the weight relationships between resident killer whales, transients, and the Icelandic herring-feeding population and found that there was a statistically significant difference in the weight relationships, with the transients being notably heavier than the residents. The weight formula for transients is more similar to Type A killer whales in this regard. If the Soviet weight relationship for predominantly mammal-eating (likely Type A) killer whales from the Southern Hemisphere is used, the maximum size for a mammal-eating male (9.5 m from Nishiwaki and Handa, 1958), would weight 13.6 metric tons. In my review, there's some more info on growth parameters for killer whales and a lot of info on the beaked and sperm whales.
1 user Likes callmejoe9's post

@GrizzlyClaws @GuateGojira 

Making sure you two see this in case you're interested.
1 user Likes callmejoe9's post

Canada GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-09-2024, 06:31 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

(09-08-2024, 01:39 PM)callmejoe9 Wrote: @GrizzlyClaws @GuateGojira 

Making sure you two see this in case you're interested.

Here is an interesting take on the possible different species of orca.

2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

ruimendes1 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-15-2024, 12:15 PM by ruimendes1 )

Strong candidate for the size record - 7.6 to 9.1 m and 16000 pounds specimen called  Old Tom is a solitary adult Northwest Atlantic killer whale. He has been sighted off the coast of northern New England and iEastern Canada, https://killerwhales.fandom.com/wiki/Old_Thom

ruimendes1 Offline

Quote:Possible Record -
30 to 33 feet long is male called CA165 "Lonesome George" is an approximately 40-year-old male West Coast transient killer whale.

https://killerwhales.fandom.com/wiki/CA1...ome_George
4 users Like ruimendes1's post