There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Plains Camp males

T I N O Online
Moderators

(05-05-2024, 07:08 AM)Mapokser Wrote: It seems the PCM had a big fight, probably over mating rights of one of the Nkuhuma female, credits to ntiyiso.ntimane on instagram:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Impressive guy! Hope they get featured on WildEarth live soon. Darryn mentioned they’re really big boys, it would be interesting to hear other opinions about them. Londolozi claimed the same as well.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-05-2024, 07:20 AM)T I N O Wrote: That’s the smaller-maned of the two Plains Camp males, if i'm not wrong

No, its bigger one.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

Plains camp males at Elephant Plains
Posted: 4/5/24
Photo credit: Lance van de Vyver

7 users Like T I N O's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Savanna posted stories with the PCM.

Saying only Makhunga has new injuries from "his conquests in the north".

Could it be that his injuries weren't from mating rights like initially thought? Though no other male lion in that area were involved ( Kambulas, Talamati ).

It seems too bad for a female to have been the culprit.

Unless the smaller PCM wiped the floor with his brother without sustaining injuries himself.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(05-10-2024, 10:18 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Savanna posted stories with the PCM.

Saying only Makhunga has new injuries from "his conquests in the north".

Could it be that his injuries weren't from mating rights like initially thought? Though no other male lion in that area were involved ( Kambulas, Talamati ).

It seems too bad for a female to have been the culprit.

Unless the smaller PCM wiped the floor with his brother without sustaining injuries himself.

Could Chela and the girls caused it?
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-11-2024, 02:44 AM by Tr1x24 )

(05-10-2024, 10:18 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Unless the smaller PCM wiped the floor with his brother without sustaining injuries himself.

Well, "smaller" male was seen mating with NK girl, after which other one was seen with scars on his face, not sure if these are newer injuries, but 99% he sustain it from his brother.

Smaller maned male also has few scars on his nose.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

5 users Like Rabubi's post

Mwk85 Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-14-2024, 01:26 PM by Mwk85 Edit Reason: Added additional content )

They're back in the north again after being with the Mangheni Pride in Singita recently. They were found at the Chitwa Airstrip. I'm guessing it was a Nkuhuma lioness that appeared and they ended up giving chase to the Arathusa runway where the rest of the pride were. Kambula males were there as well but they took off heading north away from the area.

Edit: It's indeed the Nkuhuma Pride they come across again. Hopefully no lionesses are lost this time. Additional footage below.

8 users Like Mwk85's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

They definitely mean business

5 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Boys are back on the move from Hoffman property to Arathusa area

5 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-14-2024, 05:48 PM by Tr1x24 )

Here is the answer why bigger maned male is always so scared on face, looks like his bro is not to be mess around when theres females for mating:

Although bigger maned male is more impressive, since they came to SS as nomads in 2020, I always saw his brother as more of a leader figure between the 2.

Looks like these boys are continuing slowly with their expansion towards north and Nkuhumas.

Kambulas are only one who can stop that, but looks like they are not ready yet to face them.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-14-2024, 05:07 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I'm starting to dislike these guys a lot. 

Why?
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-14-2024, 05:43 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-14-2024, 05:26 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Because they are killing a lot of the lions I like.  I mean.. it's what they do, but...

Thats what lions do.

All great coalitions killed many other lions, thats not a reason to dislike them.

Ultimately, one day in future, PCMs will get the same fate, either by lions, hyenas or buffaloes (those who die "peacfully" in the wild are very rare) and i bet you will feel sorry for them when that happens.

So "cherish" this moment, where we are witnessing mighty coalition displaying their power.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom Vengeous Offline

(05-14-2024, 05:42 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-14-2024, 05:26 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Because they are killing a lot of the lions I like.  I mean.. it's what they do, but...

Thats what lions do.

All great coalitions killed many other lions, thats not a reason to dislike them.

Ultimately, one day in future, PCMs will get the same fate, either by lions, hyenas or buffaloes (those who die "peacfully" in the wild are very rare) and i bet you will feel sorry for them when that happens.

So "cherish" this moment, where we are witnessing mighty coalition displaying their power.
I think what a lot of people forget is that from an evolutionary perspective, the PCMs can't be content with sitting in the west and watching their cubs grow up. They're in their prime, and even if you'd argue they're not the most formidable lions in Sabi Sands, they're certainly the most aggressive/ambitious. It is their job to spread their genes to ensure the next generation of lions have the strongest and best genes possible to survive. And unlike humans, they'll kill a female for refusing them because if you don't submit to them, you may pose a threat to this mission to spread their genes. Not that they're necessarily aware of evolutionary concepts - just that it's hardwired in them to ensure the continuity of their gene pool before they're old and frail and other lions kill them and their cubs. The PCMs turn 7 soon, they've got another 2-3 years at the top level. There is little evidence of other males encoraching in their territory in the West, so naturally they're expanding.
5 users Like Vengeous's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

Please, Ferguson remember they’re wild lions and do what male lions do when they’re in the process of expanding their territories and taking over a pride. In such a process means they’ll kill cubs, females and if the dominant males refuse to run off, the same. To avoid a debate as happens in Facebook groups when such a comment like that is made, I’ll take action in the matter and I'll remove that comment from the thread. WildFact is totally different to any other social media and that is why it is considered by many, one of the best sites when it comes to finding reliable information and a healthy community at the time of debate,posts and discussions about point of views. Thank you for your understanding, Ferguson!

2 users Like T I N O's post