WildFact
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos (/topic-asiatic-lion-data-pictures-videos)

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Rage2277 - 09-28-2018

*This image is copyright of its original author
 Darshit Acharya‎ - Panthera leo 
At Gir national park - devalia
September is 2018

lions on road in Amreli

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Rishi - 09-28-2018

(09-28-2018, 12:20 AM)Rage2277 Wrote: Darshit Acharya‎ - Panthera leo 
At Gir national park - devalia
September is 2018

That's another even more majestic photo of Devaliya's "Blackbeard" taken recently by Abhilash Vaja, maybe from the same sighting. This guy is going to be a star!
Source: વ ન - વ ગ ડો

black beard has the best mane i've seen on a wild asiatic lion. he's fresh from the salon..though..maneless lions look more badass too me

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Spalea - 09-28-2018

Around #526: it seems quite surrealist ! You're on a moped and you cross a couple of lions ! Somewhere else in the country a tiger... This country is unique.

well..technically all lions and tigers in the world live on the same continent..you can literally walk from africa to the rest of asia

Of course, reductio ad absurdum... 20000 lions on wild, 3000 tigers, Africa and Asia equal to 75.000.000 km2. I believe that I can go on moped very long time before crossing and encountering one... Outside the parks.

didn't mean it in the way you were thinking of it...most people think africa,europe and asia are separate landmasses..as if they are different planets when that's clearly not the case..should talk come up about releasing for instance bengals to say like a reserve in malawi or chad people lose their minds..how it will bring great unbalance to the ecosystem yadayadayada ridiculous stuff..it's not like releasing mongoose on an island of flightless birds you know..the wildlife safari thing is big these days..stop with the games let the bengals and other endangered animals like banteng roam free elsewhere

young gir male photo by -  KISHORE KOTECHA

(09-28-2018, 04:19 PM)Rage2277 Wrote: didn't mean it in the way you were thinking of it...most people think africa,europe and asia are separate landmasses..as if they are different planets when that's clearly not the case..should talk come up about releasing for instance bengals to say like a reserve in malawi or chad people lose their minds..how it will bring great unbalance to the ecosystem yadayadayada ridiculous stuff..it's not like releasing mongoose on an island of flightless birds you know..the wildlife safari thing is big these days..stop with the games let the bengals and other endangered animals like banteng roam free elsewhere

Certainly from what I'm able to understand, you're right. I speak really very bad english. And I don't play some games, only knowing the wild life disappears wery fastly. And only for lions and tigers (and bears , elephants, leopards....) it p***** me off.

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Rage2277 - 09-29-2018

some good looking lionesses

big boy with a lady

male feeding on cow kill

think i've seen this vid here before..not sure..big boy in this one

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Rishi - 09-29-2018

Exerpt taken from Selfish partners: resource partitioning in male coalitions of Asiatic lions, by Stotra Chakrabarti & Yadvendradev Jhala (Link to full paper);

Belly scores to determine the state of hunger/appetite of individual male lions following Bertram (1975a):
(a) Fully gorged with a bloated belly, belly fold taut and almost invisible, scored as 1.
(b) Well-fed individual with a distended belly and a hint of the belly fold seen underneath, scored as 2.
© Belly line almost parallel to the ground with a prominent belly fold, animal not too fed, neither too starved, scored as 3.
(d) Semistarved individual with a very prominent fold and hints of lateral pelvic depressions, scored as 4.
(e) Fully starved individual, with a very loose belly fold and prominent lateral depressions, scored as 5. 

Photographs were taken by first author.

The underfold literally give them an expandable belly.

Maybe these belly-folds are so prominent in Asiatic lions (also Caspian & Amur tigers) as an adaptation to range of the same subspecies spanning over both cold mountains & hot deserts in middle-east & central-asia.

Unlike African ones, Asiatic lions look extremely at home in snow with fur & fat, with the underfold often becoming indistinguishable!

But if the were wild lions in one of Iran's mountainous wildernesses, their sons might find themselves in the middle of an arid land in their search for a territory & vice-versa. Was the belly underfold meant to be a backup fat-pouch?

Someday we'll find out...