WildFact
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos (/topic-asiatic-lion-data-pictures-videos)

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Rage2277 - 05-25-2018

really impressed with these lions man..looking good..they're up there

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Wolverine - 05-25-2018

Beautiful couple of Gir lions:

Male lion is caught from wild and placed in cage.

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Rishi - 05-26-2018

(05-24-2018, 10:34 PM)jordi6927 Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 05:48 AM)Rishi Wrote: Massive male!
His size can really be felt in the video...

Was this big boy destroyed for killing the Maldhari?

That incident happened quite a while ago. As you can see, he's clearly not a man-eater.

(05-25-2018, 10:17 AM)Wolverine Wrote: Male lion is caught from wild and placed in cage.

Wow...This is gold! 

The video was recently uploaded, but this shifting took place more than a decade ago. The old male "Devraj" spent the rest of his life in Sakkarbaug, as the release process after treatment wasn't so developed back then.

Their clumsiness is almost awkward to watch & the difference in expertise is very evident in newer documentaries like "The Lion Queens of India":

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Wolverine - 05-26-2018

(05-26-2018, 08:16 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 10:17 AM)Wolverine Wrote: Male lion is caught from wild and placed in cage.

Wow...This is gold! 
The video was recently uploaded, but this shifting took place more than a decade ago. The old male "Devraj" spent the rest of his life in Sakkarbaug, as the release process after treatment wasn't so developed back then. Their clumsiness is almost awkward to watch & the difference in expertise is very evident in newer documentaries like "The Lion Queens of India":

just wanted to ask you what they explain in video but knowing how passionate Hindi language devotee you are  Wink decided to restrain...

Could be noticed that a lot of ladies work in Gujarat Forest Department, unusually high percentage of women.

Huge lion drinking water, surrounded by singing birds.

Gir forest has not only largest population of big cats in the subcontinent, but probably also the largest variety of birds. I was shocked to see that there are arias in the forest where you can see a peacock almost on every single tree... astronomical quantity of peacocks, basically I would call Gir "the forest of the peafowls".

Every evening with descending of the darkness forest is echo-ing from the voices of hundreds if not thousand of birds miles around: "miau meau meau". Like a fairytale.

I would recommend to all fans of Asiatic lion to read the book "Gir forest and Saga of the Asiatic lion" (2006), by Sudipta Mitra, already red it last year, order from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Gir-Forest-Saga-Asiatic-Lion/dp/8173871833

As long as I know that's one of the very few books if not the only book published yet entirely dedicated to Indian lion.

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Rishi - 05-26-2018

(05-26-2018, 08:45 AM)Wolverine Wrote:

Just wanted to ask you what they explain in video but knowing how passionate Hindi language devotee you are  Wink decided to restrain...

Could be noticed that a lot of ladies work in Gujarat Forest Department, unusually high percentage of women.

Same old story. Ruled, aged, fought, lost, injured, rescued, died in captivity.
The 2nd one is a must-watch though... That's only a short excerpt available on YouTube.

A preview of Gir Forest and the Saga of the Asiatic Lion on Googlebooks for those interested: LINK

Probably you know that Sudipta Mitra is a Bengali as you, so one day when you collect enough data you could write a book with title "Bengal mangrove forest and the Saga of Sundarban man-eating tiger" by Rishi Mitra, seriously.

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Jeffrey - 05-27-2018

(05-23-2018, 04:31 AM)Rishi Wrote: How is this guy even alive!..

*This image is copyright of its original author
@Rishi about your post are there more infos about the other male which he fought ?

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Rishi - 05-28-2018

@Jeffrey
Well, i can tell you that the other male didn't win... But unfortunately, no more info. The cameraman was random tourist & didn't provide anything else.
http://m.yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/photos/11824900/

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Rishi - 05-29-2018

Some special sightings... 

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Rishi - 05-29-2018

Good news!
It took a while, but i finally have the new figures, courtesy of Dr.Jhala.

But before that, the popular weight-range circulating the Internet, is apparently based on a few lions captured and radio-collared in the mid'90s & had a weight of 160-190 kg (n=4) for males and 100-120 kg (n=2) for females (Kristin Nowell and Peter Jackson, 1996?).

But i can't find the original source/paper for this. @peter @tigerluver Do you have it? If so, could you please share some details..?

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Pckts - 05-29-2018

What weights did you get @Rishi ?

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - tigerluver - 05-30-2018

Here's the book pdf @Rishi . The weights of interest are on page 62 of pdf file (labeled as page 37 in the text footnote itself). If I can find the original source I will let you know.

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Pckts - 05-30-2018

(05-30-2018, 01:10 AM)tigerluver Wrote: Here's the book pdf @Rishi . The weights of interest are on page 62 of pdf file (labeled as page 37 in the text footnote itself). If I can find the original source I will let you know.

Ravi's email if you guys wan't to contact him

email: [email protected] & [email protected]

I'm sure he has a few weights not published as well.

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Rishi - 05-30-2018

Thanks @tigerluver

(05-29-2018, 07:16 PM)Pckts Wrote: What weights did you get @Rishi ?

I think this is the expected weight range for regular adults (knowing it definitely can't be a min-max for the species)...