WildFact
Size comparisons - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+--- Thread: Size comparisons (/topic-size-comparisons)

RE: Size comparisons - OrcaDaBest - 01-01-2021

*This image is copyright of its original author

Pantanal Jaguar - African Leopard

RE: Size comparisons - DinoFan83 - 01-03-2021

Largest known specimens of Siats and Purussaurus.

RE: Size comparisons - Pckts - 01-05-2021

RE: Size comparisons - Hello - 01-11-2021

Impressive pillar like forelimbs!

RE: Size comparisons - Hello - 01-12-2021

Mysore zoo

RE: Size comparisons - parvez - 01-15-2021

Rajaji tigers, same surroundings for right sided pose, seem to be sub adult and mother. 

RE: Size comparisons - Hello - 01-23-2021

Chuk from Taigan

RE: Size comparisons - DinoFan83 - 01-23-2021

@johnny rex 

A while back, I recall you asked me for a size chart depicting T. rex with Giganotosaurus/Carcharodontosaurus using my own estimates for the latter. If you are still interested, GetAwayTrike has done that. Here it is with Sue and SGM-DIN 1 (it should be important to remember that SGM-DIN 1 is in all likelihood not the 'Sue' of Carcharodontosaurus, but rather an average adult instead of the largest adult in a sample of >30 as Sue is).

RE: Size comparisons - johnny rex - 01-24-2021

(01-23-2021, 06:57 PM)DinoFan83 Wrote: @johnny rex 

A while back, I recall you asked me for a size chart depicting T. rex with Giganotosaurus/Carcharodontosaurus using my own estimates for the latter. If you are still interested, GetAwayTrike has done that. Here it is with Sue and SGM-DIN 1 (it should be important to remember that SGM-DIN 1 is in all likelihood not the 'Sue' of Carcharodontosaurus, but rather an average adult instead of the largest adult in a sample of >30 as Sue is).

Awesome, at the average size I believe most large theropods are about the same. Around 10 tonnes and 12 meters long or a little bit more.

RE: Size comparisons - DinoFan83 - 01-24-2021

I do not agree with 12 meters (in all cases below it would be at least somewhat longer), but 10 tonnes or more is a fairly plausible average of known specimens for a number of theropods as far as I can see. By my personal estimations, known specimens of Spinosaurus are probably well over that (>12 tonnes), the 2 Giganotosaurus specimens could plausibly be up to 10.3 tonnes average, Carcharodontosaurus might reach the 10-ish tonne area for average of known adults given CMN 50792 as well as SGM-DIN 1 possibly not being an adult (page 3). Not to mention there is at least 1 species of Allosaurus that has an immature 9-10 tonne specimen (whatever the species of AMNH 5767 is, I can link the source if you wish).

RE: Size comparisons - Hello - 01-29-2021

Exceptionally large lion (Aslan ,250 +kg) and Average lion if not slightly under for his subspecies (Aragorn, almost 180 kg). 

RE: Size comparisons - Sully - 02-05-2021

A camel walking in front of a giraffe

https://twitter.com/alihirola/status/1355895902926495746?s=20

RE: Size comparisons - DinoFan83 - 02-08-2021

Size comparison of Mammuthus meridionalis and the giant Tendaguru megalosaurid/Torvosaurus spp.

RE: Size comparisons - Luipaard - 02-08-2021

Persian leopardess with two cubs and Syrian brown bear sow with cub

kambizbaradarani

RE: Size comparisons - Sully - 02-08-2021

Paraceratherium vs paleoloxodon. The two contenders for the biggest mammal of all time.

More on the argument for the proboscidean: The Largest Beasts to Walk the Earth (nationalgeographic.com)