WildFact
Size comparisons - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+--- Thread: Size comparisons (/topic-size-comparisons)

RE: Size comparisons - DinoFan83 - 11-05-2020

(For those who have not seen this in the profile thread)

Size comparison of the holotypes of Tratayenia and ViavenatorTratayenia taken from Porfiri et al. 2018 and Viavenator taken from Filippi et al. 2016.

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Size comparisons - Pckts - 11-05-2020

RE: Size comparisons - Pckts - 11-05-2020

RE: Size comparisons - DinoFan83 - 11-07-2020

Note that all the sizes here are approximate due to the very poor nature of the remains. Any of these animals could be significantly larger or smaller than shown in the image.

I put together a size comparison of some of the little-known large theropods of the Tendaguru, using this blogpost as well as the Theropod Database as a very rough guide. In the chart clockwise are as follows: an unnamed carcharodontosaurid tibia (elephant sized), an unnamed megalosaurid tibia (elephant sized), "Ceratosaurus" ingens (rhinoceros sized), and an unnamed abelisaurid tibia (horse sized).
The carcharodontosaurid is based on Acrocanthosaurus, the megalosaurid is based on a composite megalosaurid/Torvosaurus, "C". ingens is based on Ceratosaurus, and the abelisaurid is based on Aucasaurus. Credit to Greg Paul for all the skeletals used here.

I have to say, the Tendaguru sure does have quite a multitude of unnamed large theropods!

RE: Size comparisons - Dark Jaguar - 11-07-2020

Rhea and Fera female jaguar.

RE: Size comparisons - Luipaard - 11-10-2020

Man and (young) mother elephant

RE: Size comparisons - DinoFan83 - 11-11-2020

Largest specimens of Aerosteon barrosaensis (MCF-PVPH 411) and Giganotosaurus (MUCPv-95). The tyrannosauroid is probably at least 1 tonne while the carcharodontosaurid is 10.29 tonnes.

RE: Size comparisons - Pckts - 11-12-2020

Bishwajit Chetry

The Big boys of Kaziranga 

RE: Size comparisons - Dark Jaguar - 11-12-2020

Sloth.

credits: Richard Rasmussen

RE: Size comparisons - BorneanTiger - 11-15-2020

A Kodiak bear with its smaller grizzly cousin:

[attachment=4619]
[attachment=4620]

RE: Size comparisons - DinoFan83 - 11-16-2020

Here are the largest estimated skull sizes for Yutyrannus (ZCDM V 5000) and Mapusaurus (MCF-PVPH-108.145) compared. Estimated skull lengths are 90.5 and 180 cm respectively.
The Yutyrannus skull likely belongs to an animal of 1 tonne, while the Mapusaurus skull likely belongs to an animal of 10.87 tonnes.

RE: Size comparisons - Pckts - 11-19-2020

Male Black Bear v Male Cougar from the same camera trap

RE: Size comparisons - T I N O - 11-19-2020

(11-19-2020, 06:14 PM)Pckts Wrote: Male Black Bear v Male Cougar from the same camera trap

Really interesting size comparison. Here some information that I've find
Adult black bears are usually between 1.4 and 2 meters long with a height at the withers between 1 and 1.3 meters. Body weight can vary significantly depending on the subspecies, sex, age, and time of year. Females can weigh from 40 to 180 kg, while the weight of males varies between 70 and 280 kg.

The Cougar: Height: 60 - 90 cm (Adult, At the shoulder) and Length: Male: 2.4 m (Adult), Female: 2 m (Adult)
Here in Argentina usually people finds cougars. They're really very good hunters and often kills cows, sheep. Those animals are the livestock of the people who live in Patagonia

RE: Size comparisons - Pckts - 11-19-2020

(11-19-2020, 06:29 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 06:14 PM)Pckts Wrote: Male Black Bear v Male Cougar from the same camera trap

Adult black bears are usually between 1.4 and 2 meters long with a height at the withers between 1 and 1.3 meters. Body weight can vary significantly depending on the subspecies, sex, age, and time of year. Females can weigh from 40 to 180 kg, while the weight of males varies between 70 and 280 kg.

The Cougar: Height: 60 - 90 cm (Adult, At the shoulder) and Length: Male: 2.4 m (Adult), Female: 2 m (Adult)
Here in Argentina usually people finds cougars. They're really very good hunters and often kills cows, sheep. Those animals are the livestock of the people who live in Patagonia

Have you visited Patagonia?

RE: Size comparisons - T I N O - 11-19-2020

(11-19-2020, 07:51 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 06:29 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:

Have you visited Patagonia?
Not yet. I visited some others places of Argentina,But I never I've visited the Patagonia. 
Theres are variety of animals. Definitely an awesome place which someday I would like to go.