WildFact
Tiger Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Tiger Predation (/topic-tiger-predation)

RE: Tiger Predation - Roflcopters - 09-14-2018

@Pckts 

I always thought the gaurs from South India were a tad bit larger than their cousins in other parts. do we have any studies on their weights? It would be nice to know.

RE: Tiger Predation - Jimmy - 09-14-2018

I have always read that Southeast Asian gaur being the largest, superficially if only looking at the photo this could be deceiving because South Indian gaur has the largest dewlap so it looks gigantic compared to others, for sometime i have come to distinguish gaurs from different regions:
South-east Asian gaurs:
1, very dark coat almost jet black, including cows and calves are much darker
2, darker muzzle or nose
3, have relatively yellow legs and sharply contrasting black tipped horns

*This image is copyright of its original author

South-Indian gaur:
1, dark brown hide/coat for males, female and calves brown
2, largest dewlaps i have ever seen
3, definitely has paler or grey muzzle

Northern Indian or Nepalese gaur doesnot normally has a large dewlap like South-Indian ones

these are what i see, sometimes these features can overlap but for the most part it is pretty clear

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 09-14-2018

(09-14-2018, 06:08 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: @Pckts 

I always thought the gaurs from South India were a tad bit larger than their cousins in other parts. do we have any studies on their weights? It would be nice to know.

He was speaking about Southeast Asia " Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, MORE"
Which I have also read as being larger than their Indian Cousins, but I haven't seen weights to support that but I did find one from Vietnam

"Dung said they found three small wounds in the shoulder and belly of the male gaur, which was aged around 10 and weighed 800kg.
“The gaur’s body parts were intact.”
Park rangers are working with the local police and animal health agency to identify the cause of death.

On February 28 rangers had found the head and skeleton of a female gaur weighing around 200 kg, also in Ma Da Forest."

http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/another-endangered-gaur-found-dead-in-protected-southern-vietnam-forest-60199.html

In regards to Southern Indian Gaur being larger than Central, I'm not so sure about that.
From my experience it is the terrain that determines the size, Places like Kanha with year round green foliage, large watering holes and lower temperatures will generate healthier specimens. 

If we look at these forest types for instance 

I would guess that the Tropical Moist forests would contribute to larger herbivores, having been to Thailand, it certainly has areas that are extremely dense with green plant life and it definitely is wet, so I would assume that quite a few places around that area would have large herbivores as well. But there must be a common ground, if the foliage is too dense than it would be hard for a large herbivore to move.

RE: Tiger Predation - Suhail - 09-15-2018

I have found few reports regarding the weights of southeast asian gaur.it doesn't concludes all southeasian gaurs are massive by looking only at these news reports.but one can believe the gaurs from these regions on an average bigger than their indian counterparts.by examining their most prefered habitat(semi evergreen to moist decidous)which is abundunt their range.
2 of the weight records i found:
  • Vetarinarian Supalak Prachan from the Protected Area Regional 7 Office, led a team to conduct an autopsy on the five-year-old 1.3-tonne gaur. The examination found the animal suffered fatal trauma and internal bleeding.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30333244
  • The forestry officials said that the gaur which weighs 1,200 kilogrammes and aged between 10-12 years old bore seven bullet holes inflicted by a shotgun. It was believed to have died 3-4 days ago.
http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/male-gaur-found-dead-tapioca-plantation/
Those southeastasian jungles also supported one of the highest megafauna diversity outside africa in modern era.which only extripated in recent years ago .especially in the northeastern plains of cambodia,western forest complex in thailand etc.wildlife includes wild water buffaloes,elephants,kouprey(extinct?),banteng,2kinds of rhinocerous(extinct) and many more..
The abundance of such suitable habitat might produced the bigger and more diverse wildlife.

In regards to Southern Indian Gaur being larger than Central, I'm pretty sure about that,from the kind of habiat that found in south india.
these are my opinions only.it may not be true at all

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 09-15-2018

(09-15-2018, 01:10 AM)Suhail Wrote: I have found few reports regarding the weights of southeast asian gaur.it doesn't concludes all southeasian gaurs are massive by looking only at these news reports.but one can believe the gaurs from these regions on an average bigger than their indian counterparts.by examining their most prefered habitat(semi evergreen to moist decidous)which is abundunt their range.
2 of the weight records i found:
  • Vetarinarian Supalak Prachan from the Protected Area Regional 7 Office, led a team to conduct an autopsy on the five-year-old 1.3-tonne gaur. The examination found the animal suffered fatal trauma and internal bleeding.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30333244
  • The forestry officials said that the gaur which weighs 1,200 kilogrammes and aged between 10-12 years old bore seven bullet holes inflicted by a shotgun. It was believed to have died 3-4 days ago.
http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/male-gaur-found-dead-tapioca-plantation/]http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/male-gaur-found-dead-tapioca-plantation/[/url]
Those southeastasian jungles also supported one of the highest megafauna diversity outside africa in modern era.which only extripated in recent years ago .especially in the northeastern plains of cambodia,western forest complex in thailand etc.wildlife includes wild water buffaloes,elephants,kouprey(extinct?),banteng,2kinds of rhinocerous(extinct) and many more..
The abundance of such suitable habitat might produced the bigger and more diverse wildlife.

In regards to Southern Indian Gaur being larger than Central, I'm pretty sure about that,from the kind habiat that found in south india.
these are my opinions only.it may not be true at all.

Valid opinion, if those Gaur were actually weighed then those are massive individuals, I would have serious doubts that I ever saw a Gaur that was close to 2800lbs in the reserves I went to in C. India.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 09-17-2018

Pralay Lahiry
From my archives - Tigress hunting Hog Deer - K A Z I R A N G A

RE: Tiger Predation - epaiva - 09-20-2018

Tiger Attack Live in India

RE: Tiger Predation - Wolverine - 09-20-2018

(09-20-2018, 07:35 AM)epaiva Wrote: Tiger Attack Live in India

Amazing video Amigo, it reminds me the beginning of the movie "Tiger of Eshnapur" (1959) of Fritz Lang:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tiger_of_Eschnapur_(1959_film)

The movie starts with a cadres of panic encompassing a provincial 19th century Indian town with the fall of darkness due to maroudering tiger man-eater. With the approach of night all inhabitans including cattle hurry to hide behind the ancient city walls.

RE: Tiger Predation - Rage2277 - 09-20-2018

Sarosh Lodhi‎ -

Today a post is made

"The CLaWs"

Tadoba | Canon gears

RE: Tiger Predation - parvez - 09-20-2018

Almost all bovines are killed with bite to the neck region. Bite to the top portion of neck seems to be the most effective in this killing the prey in a few minutes. I am unable to figure out how it is so effective, does it break the wall of blood vessels or breaks the bone or vertebrae like in case of jaguar? If the second one is right, then bite force of tiger will be somewhere around or more than jaguars'. After the probability of breaking vertebrae, spinal cord is the next most sensitive target. Could this be the reason? Or a bite to the chief nerves or blood vessels eases the way? Does anyone know what is the answer?

RE: Tiger Predation - Jeffrey - 09-21-2018

(09-20-2018, 11:07 PM)parvez Wrote: Almost all bovines are killed with bite to the neck region. Bite to the top portion of neck seems to be the most effective in this killing the prey in a few minutes. I am unable to figure out how it is so effective, does it break the wall of blood vessels or breaks the bone or vertebrae like in case of jaguar? If the second one is right, then bite force of tiger will be somewhere around or more than jaguars'. After the probability of breaking vertebrae, spinal cord is the next most sensitive target. Could this be the reason? Or a bite to the chief nerves or blood vessels eases the way? Does anyone know what is the answer?

Normally a bovine is killed by biting the top of the neck and severing the spinal cord or 
biting the bottom or side of the neck to suffocate the animal or to severe the carotid artery. With a throat hold the
Windpipe is either crushed or blocked mostly.
The trachea, colloquially called the windpipe, is a cartilaginous tube that connects the pharynx and larynx to the lungs, allowing the passage of air and so is present in almost all land animals.

RE: Tiger Predation - parvez - 09-21-2018

@Jeffrey Then the tiger is able to break the vertebrae of the bovines to be able to reach spinal cord if the bite is at top of their neck. The bite force of tiger is surely much more than the studies present. Jaguar too breaks the bone of cranium of caiman and other prey. The bite force of tiger as per my estimate is slightly higher than jaguar but not on pound for pound basis.

RE: Tiger Predation - Smilodon-Rex - 09-21-2018

@Jimmy , Is the four tigers killing rhino has been confirmed by documentary?

RE: Tiger Predation - Jeffrey - 09-21-2018

(09-21-2018, 10:27 AM)parvez Wrote: @Jeffrey Then the tiger is able to break the vertebrae of the bovines to be able to reach spinal cord if the bite is at top of their neck. The bite force of tiger is surely much more than the studies present. Jaguar too breaks the bone of cranium of caiman and other prey. The bite force of tiger as per my estimate is slightly higher than jaguar but not on pound for pound basis.

A tiger is able to break the verebrae ob bovines and reaching the spinal cord. It depending on the neck bite and how large the bovine is the larger the more "difficult" it get. 

Pound for pound the sumatran tiger could maybe rival the jaguar's bite force.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 10-16-2018

Older Account but a good conversation that came from it...

Rajarshi Banerji
ADULT RHINO KILL BY TIGER

Tigers in Kaziranga often feed on rhino calves, but direct attacks on adult rhinos is not common. In this image, a male tiger killed an adult rhino that was foraging in a shallow water body by jumping on its back from the higher bank and by breaking its neck. It then intermittently fed on its very rare and huge kill. 

Convo that followed:

Sudharsan Sathyam Superb capture! May be it's feeding on a dead rhino! Coz it's highly impossible to penetrate it's skin

Deep Shubhra Biswas Sudharsan Sathyam Tigers are known to attack and hunt down adult rhinos at Dudhwa... So it's not that impossible

Del Hanson Amazing record shot!!! Which zone is this?

Rajarshi Banerji Del Hanson Thank you. I don't disclose location of wildlife.

Vishal Shah Already dead, there has not been a tiger taking down a grown Rhino this far. It is hard to trust this claim without video.

Rajarshi Banerji You would be amazed if you interact with the field staff of the various beats of Kaziranga Core Area :) :)

Siddharth SinghSiddharth  At Dudhwa a Male called Rhino Hitter has taken down more than 5 Rhinos so far ..

Deep Shubhra Biswas Vishal ShahTigers are known to hunt down adult rhinos at Dudhwa for long... And those claims at Dudhwa were properly investigated and then claimed tiger kills... So this one is nothing new...

Siddharth Singh Deep Shubhra Biswas yes it was camera trapped by Ganesh Bhatt sir .. 5 Tigers on a carcass.. always between Nov to Feb .. and it was a Male and Female working together

Ryan Lunney Did you see the Tiger make the kill?

Siddharth SinghSiddharth and 77 others are consistently creating meaningful discussions with their posts. Ryan Lunney I have seen the stalking.. it's like a game .. once the Tiger learns to kill .. nothing can stop them .. in Dudhwa they damaged the hind legs of the Rhino and started eating it while it was alive .. Blood Pressure is a major tool the Tiger uses.. of the Rhino and the elephants

Rajarshi Banerji Ryan Lunney I have over 100 shots of this sequence. And another 200+ of the feeding, which was later shared by a monitor lizard, an Adjutant Stork and Crows. :)Can't share any more information right now. Siddharth Singh Brilliant shots! I have one of a tiger stalking the rhino in the dark. (Spotlit by the park staff and photo not of a very good quality)