There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Tumbela Coalition

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-14-2021, 12:37 PM by Tonpa )

Figured I'd start a thread for these boys now that they've acquired some territory!

Born in 2016 to the Nharu pride, these three youngsters made their way into Sabi Sands where they settled in the Western Sector. After some back and forth with Hairy Belly Matimba, these young males took control of the Othawa Pride at the end of 2020.

The Limping male

*This image is copyright of its original author

The eye scar male

Skorro Junior

Photos by Michelle Storm! @michelle.storm_wildlife/ Dulini Lodge

With these boys mating with the Othawa Lionesses we can hope some Othawa cubs are on the horizon!
8 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Blog post by Leopard Hills Field Guide Cal Butler 

"THE TUMBELA MALE LION GROWS STRONGER"

https://wildadventuresblog.com/2021/02/2...-stronger/
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-14-2021, 12:41 PM by Tonpa )

I believe this is the one known as "Skorro Jr"

Dec 2020. Photos by omegagodi

10 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Photo by Tomo.Wild 

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-02-2021, 04:54 PM by Tonpa )

Video by evie_bh 01-03-2021

Photo by Bushbaby_sam 

RookiePundit Offline

It should be noted they are nephews of Birmingham males or rather Birmingham males are their maternal uncles. As their fathers (Thand Impi coalition) were unrelated males, it is bit trickier on paternal side, but those sired by Skorro have Red Road Male, ruling their natal Nharu pride in Manyeleti right now, as their closest (geographically) male realtive on paternal side as he is their half brother from another pride. Besides that all have the Nharu Male of the Tintswalo coalition further into Manyeleti (now with Mbiri pride) as their littermate/brother from Nharu pride. Another brtoher went missing in Kruger. Those sired by Sizanani are perhaps distantly realted to Nkuhumas, as Nkuhuma pride were their paternal grandmothers. Luckily they is no blood realation to either Majingilanes or Mapogos, whose genes are presented in both western sector and Othawa adult lionesses themselves, so they are quite good news for genetic diversity of the area.
4 users Like RookiePundit's post

RookiePundit Offline

Is there any consesnsus what to call them or how to identify one from the others? I believe there is a one with an eye scar, another one is limping and one of them is somewhat skittish? We will never know, but I take it as both Skorro's and Sizanani's genes are thought to be passed on judging by their looks?
3 users Like RookiePundit's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-03-2021, 01:23 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: Is there any consesnsus what to call them or how to identify one from the others? I believe there is a one with an eye scar, another one is limping and one of them is somewhat skittish? We will never know, but I take it as both Skorro's and Sizanani's genes are thought to be passed on judging by their looks?

Yeah, I think the Tumbela males are easy to ID them for some reasons.
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-03-2021, 01:23 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: Is there any consesnsus what to call them or how to identify one from the others? I believe there is a one with an eye scar, another one is limping and one of them is somewhat skittish? We will never know, but I take it as both Skorro's and Sizanani's genes are thought to be passed on judging by their looks?

I ID them as Skorro Jr (similarity with Skorro) , Scar (eye scar) and Limper (limping male).
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-03-2021, 01:21 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: Another brtoher went missing in Kruger

Their 2 brothers disappeared in Kruger.. They where 5 males + 1 who is with Mbiris.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

RookiePundit Offline

(03-03-2021, 01:39 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 01:21 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: Another brtoher went missing in Kruger

Their 2 brothers disappeared in Kruger.. They where 5 males + 1 who is with Mbiris.

So their Tintswalo brother did not leave the Nharu pride with them and is another one (younger litter I assume)? Makes sense, I didn't know that.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-03-2021, 01:43 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: So their Tintswalo brother did not leave the Nharu pride with them and is another one (younger litter I assume)? Makes sense, I didn't know that.

No, he is not younger litter, he is same age..

He somehow joined Mbiris in 2018, when he was only around 2 - 2.5 yrs old.. He prob got lost/separeted from Nharus and he found Mbiris who accepted him..

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-03-2021, 02:28 AM by Timbavati )

The three Tumbela males
First photo: Skorro jr
Second photo: Sizanani JR/Scar Tumbela
Third photo: The maneless Tumbela/Limping
Pics posted before by: @Tonpa 

3 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-03-2021, 02:09 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The three Tumbela males
Second photo: Sizanani JR/Limping male
Third photo: The maneless Tumbela/smaller (I think)

2nd male on photo is Scar Tumbela, not the limping one, 3rd photo is the Limper.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-03-2021, 02:26 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 02:09 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The three Tumbela males
Second photo: Sizanani JR/Limping male
Third photo: The maneless Tumbela/smaller (I think)

2nd male on photo is Scar Tumbela, not the limping one, 3rd photo is the Limper.

Corrected already