WildFact
Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage (/topic-birmingham-coalition-male-lineage)

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Tr1x24 - 01-16-2024

(01-15-2024, 11:52 PM)Robot00 Wrote: Im not too fond that he's by himself. How far are the other three boys from him?

I think thats not recent.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Mapokser - 01-16-2024

It isn't. It's from many weeks ago.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Ngonya - 01-16-2024

Just like Kirkman's Kamp, uploading old footage and not even putting a date on it  Laughing

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Ngonya - 01-17-2024

Kambula males in Djuma
K3

K5

K4

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Tr1x24 - 01-21-2024

Kambulas roaring:

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Ttimemarti - 01-25-2024

K2 (snip tail) seen with his unrelated partner but no k1 haven’t seen k1 in awhile

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - afortich - 01-26-2024

Kambulas boys with Nkuhuma lioness

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - T_Ferguson - 01-26-2024

(01-26-2024, 12:39 AM)afortich Wrote: Kambulas boys with Nkuhuma lioness

Isn't it strange for a pride to bounce back and forth with 2 coalitions like the Nkuhuma's are doing with the BDM and Kambula's?  This just seems so odd to me.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Rabubi - 01-26-2024

(01-26-2024, 12:43 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote:

Isn't it strange for a pride to bounce back and forth with 2 coalitions like the Nkuhuma's are doing with the BDM and Kambula's?  This just seems so odd to me.

In an area that is contested between multiple males/coalitions, this is pretty normal behaviour by the lionesses. This way, both coalitions will assume paternity of whatever cubs are born from these encounters and are therefore less likely to kill them

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Tr1x24 - 01-26-2024

(01-26-2024, 12:43 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Isn't it strange for a pride to bounce back and forth with 2 coalitions like the Nkuhuma's are doing with the BDM and Kambula's?  This just seems so odd to me.

No, this is normal that females mate with all parties who are competing for territory and them.

This way if they give birth to cubs, neither males will kill the cubs.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - T_Ferguson - 01-26-2024

(01-26-2024, 02:12 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(01-26-2024, 12:43 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Isn't it strange for a pride to bounce back and forth with 2 coalitions like the Nkuhuma's are doing with the BDM and Kambula's?  This just seems so odd to me.

No, this is normal that females mate with all parties who are competing for territory and them.

This way if they give birth to cubs, neither males will kill the cubs.

OK, that does make sense.  I still think something has to shake out here.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Ngonya - 01-26-2024

(01-26-2024, 02:13 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: OK, that does make sense.  I still think something has to shake out here.
Kambulas should do something at this point. They totally have the upperhand but they still haven't made a real effort to use it.
This must be the softest territory takeover in Sabi Sand atp (by four male lions)

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - afortich - 01-26-2024

(01-26-2024, 02:11 AM)Rabubi Wrote:
(01-26-2024, 12:43 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote:

In an area that is contested between multiple males/coalitions, this is pretty normal behaviour by the lionesses. This way, both coalitions will assume paternity of whatever cubs are born from these encounters and are therefore less likely to kill them

In the meanwhile, people good at matching lions' features gonna have to guess which coalition sired the cubs Wink

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Ngonya - 01-26-2024

The two older Kambula brothers along with their unrelated coalition partner, the Black Maned Pretoriuskop male

*This image is copyright of its original author

By eyetravelafrica

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Mapokser - 01-26-2024

@Ngonya yeah, big coalitions generally aren't so slow, especially when 3 of the members are 5.5yo.

Majingis roared on one morning for the first time on Mapogo territory and 2 lions were dead by the night, less than 2 months later Rasta disappeared and PB almost died.

WSM crossed from Kruger and killed the 2 dominant males in a single fight.

Selatis had a couple of serious clashes with the Mapogo and 2 big fights in 1 month, almost killing PB and then killing Mr.T, and that was 4v3 and only S1 looked like an impressive and well developed male.

Even the Birminghams once they actually challenged the Matimbas, managed to oust them for good quickly.

Meanwhile the Kambulas are older than all of these guys, have challenged already and are roaring for months, but don't seem interested in actually hunting the BDM down.

And it's not like they're facing a tough duo like S.Matimbas and Mlowathi.