WildFact
Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Jaguar (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-jaguar)
+----- Thread: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports (/topic-jaguars-of-brazil-dynamics-lifestyle-datas-studies-reports)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Dark Jaguar - 07-29-2020

Leandro's recent Interview with Richard Rasmussen on Jaguar attacks.

''Jaguars do attack humans in rare conditions but the truth is they do attack, and we cannot be even irresponsible to say to people they don't attack humans AT ALL.

Jaguars do respect us as predator and we got an advantage they don't see us as preys, its great advantage, meaning if you're walking in the forest there's no risks of a jaguar to think ''hey there's food passing by''.

However if this jaguar is feeling a tiny bit of threat from you whether it is with a cub or if its feeding on a kill and you didn't see it, theres risks of that jaguar rapidly come at you attack you and kill you very fast, faster than you will be able to fend off the attack.

In Brazil there are more than 80 jaguar attacks to humans cases registered in the last 40 years.''

Leandro Silveira.

RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Sully - 07-29-2020

New Panthera book about Jaguars of the northern pantanal 

https://www.elsevier.com/books/jaguars-of-the-northern-pantanal/brooke/978-0-12-822138-9

RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Pckts - 07-29-2020

(07-29-2020, 06:32 PM)Sully Wrote: New Panthera book about Jaguars of the northern pantanal 

https://www.elsevier.com/books/jaguars-of-the-northern-pantanal/brooke/978-0-12-822138-9

They couldn't deliver to the states earlier when I tried to order it, I just purchased it again.
Hopefully they can ship it this time.

I dont think this is Panthera based, Paul Donohue and Paulo Barreiros are not affiliated with Panthera outside of helping them Id cats.

RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Dark Jaguar - 07-30-2020

I was in contact with Fernando Tortado for those who don't know him he works on the field with Panthera org program who studies and monitor jaguars in Central Pantanal and North Pantanal.

*This image is copyright of its original author

I asked him who were the 3 largest jaguars captured by panthera until today bar Adriano cause I already know he weighed 130kg.

He said in 1st place a male captured by panthera org in 2008 named Lopez he weighed 148 kg and he died a few years ago ( same empty male we already know of but now at least we know his name )

In second and third place we got a draw, Adriano male and M02 male both 130 kg.

He also said only one male jaguar captured by Panthera in the area weighed bellow 100 kg. ( but I am not sure if that includes Central Pantanal males from Parque Nacional do Pantanal - Acurizal )

I mentioned and showed him about the 140 kg tank that got ran over by car in Miranda South Pantanal earlier this year.

He said he remembers of that case and acknowledges the dead jaguar to be massive.

I mentioned about cerrado jaguars being the second largest in Brazil.

He said both in Cerrado and Atlantic forest area of Parque Estadual de Ivinhemas there were captures of 100+ kg jaguars.

He also mentioned that in the Massive Brazilian Amazon on the southern section there are cases of big jaguars however what they know is that jaguars are small in central America and in the region of Mamirauá ( central ) in the Brazilian Amazon and a large male weights less than 80kg.

I told him that projeto Iauaretê stated mamirauá central amazonic jaguars averages 55 kg and the largest male captured there was Galego with 72 kg. I also mentioned about Caatinga jaguars being the smallest.

I also told him the case of Tiago cerrado male being predated and canibalized by another jaguar and I showed him the skull of Tiago and the adult Pantanal male skull who got skull bite in a fight in South Pantanal.

Lastly I asked about comparisons in size of the 3 Pantanal jaguars populations North/Central/South and since Panthera works over 2 of them Central/North I said the Central Pantanal jaguars from Parque Nacional do Pantanal - Acurizal being more of domestic Horse Eaters how they compare with the north pantanal jaguars whether one is larger than the other.

He said

''Throughout the whole Pantanal North/Central/South, jaguars have the same size pattern and In the South Pantanal jaguars weighing over 130 kg have already been captured .''

To wrap up I managed to make the same question to Peter Crawshaw who gave me the same answer but with more details.

Peter Crawshaw

''I do not think that we can characterize differences in size within the Pantanal basin, ( North/Central/South ) what appears are more individual differences in the availability of prey, which may be due to the season or even the presence of domestic animals in farms where they occur.''

RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Balam - 07-30-2020

Excellent information, I guess we can finally put a confirmation to Adriano's weight and on top of that add another large male. Also just as I suspected males from the north aren't necessarily bigger and their sizes will depend on the food availability among other factors. I will be adding the new male to the table.

As for the one who weighed less than 100 kg, I'm guessing it was probably a young male but it seems like he didn't go into too much detail about it to be certain. The other new male we registered on the directory thread also appears to be on the smaller spectrum from the PJ area.

RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Balam - 07-30-2020

(07-30-2020, 03:16 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: I was in contact with Fernando Tortado for those who don't know him he works on the field with Panthera org program who studies and monitor jaguars in Central Pantanal and North Pantanal.

I asked him who were the 3 largest jaguars captured by panthera until today bar Adriano cause I already know he weighed 130kg.

He said in 1st place a male captured by panthera org in 2008 named Lopez he weighed 148 kg and he died a few years ago ( same empty male we already know of but now at least we know his name )

He also said only one male jaguar captured by Panthera in the area weighed bellow 100 kg. ( but I am not sure if that includes Central Pantanal males from Parque Nacional do Pantanal - Acurizal )

I mentioned and showed him about the 140 kg tank that got ran over by car in Miranda South Pantanal earlier this year.

He said he remembers of that case and acknowledges the dead jaguar to be massive.

He said both in Cerrado and Atlantic forest area of Parque Estadual de Ivinhemas there were captures of 100+ kg jaguars.

He also mentioned that in the Massive Brazilian Amazon on the southern section there are cases of big jaguars however what they know is that jaguars are small in central America and in the region of Mamirauá ( central ) in the Brazilian Amazon and a large male weights less than 80kg.

I told him that projeto Iauaretê stated mamirauá central amazonic jaguars averages 55 kg and the largest male captured there was Galego with 72 kg. I also mentioned about Caatinga jaguars being the smallest.

I also told him the case of Tiago cerrado male being predated and canibalized by another jaguar and I showed him the skull of Tiago and the adult Pantanal male skull who got skull bite in a fight in South Pantanal.

Lastly I asked about comparisons in size of the 3 Pantanal jaguars populations North/Central/South and since Panthera works over 2 of them Central/North I said the Central Pantanal jaguars from Parque Nacional do Pantanal - Acurizal being more of domestic Horse Eaters how they compare with the north pantanal jaguars whether one is larger than the other.

He said

''Throughout the whole Pantanal North/Central/South, jaguars have the same size pattern and In the South Pantanal jaguars weighing over 130 kg have already been captured .''

To wrap up I managed to make the same question to Peter Crawshaw who gave me the same answer but with more details.

Peter Crawshaw

''I do not think that we can characterize differences in size within the Pantanal basin, ( North/Central/South ) what appears are more individual differences in the availability of prey, which may be due to the season or even the presence of domestic animals in farms where they occur.''

I forgot to ask, do you know if you could get any information from Panthera regarding when the next captures for jaguars from northern Pantanal will take place? I would LOVE for males like Balam or Edno to be weighed. We already know that Oncafari will be performing captures in southern Pantanal this upcoming September, but having an idea of f and when we can expect captures from the north as well would be amazing.

RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Dark Jaguar - 07-30-2020

(07-30-2020, 05:50 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 03:16 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: I was in contact with Fernando Tortado for those who don't know him he works on the field with Panthera org program who studies and monitor jaguars in Central Pantanal and North Pantanal.

He said

Peter Crawshaw

I forgot to ask, do you know if you could get any information from Panthera regarding when the next captures for jaguars from northern Pantanal will take place? I would LOVE for males like Balam or Edno to be weighed. We already know that Oncafari will be performing captures in southern Pantanal this upcoming September, but having an idea of f and when we can expect captures from the north as well would be amazing.

I am not sure if there will be captures in Central Pantanal or North specially with the pandemic going on, but I will ask him when he get some free time.

RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Balam - 08-01-2020

For those of you interested, Oncafari just released the English version of a documentary I recently alluded to in which they discuss the history of their conservational work, showcase ecological findings regarding jaguars (including the "kiss" method to kill cattle), show charismatic specimens like Fantasma, and speak on their dynamics on more detail:

RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Dark Jaguar - 08-05-2020

(07-30-2020, 05:50 AM)Balam Wrote:

He said

Peter Crawshaw

@Balam

Fernando Tortato just told me that if there will be captures this year by Panthera it will be captures of Ocelots.

RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Pckts - 08-07-2020

I just got my Jaguars of the northern Pantanal book, its awesome!
Pictures and info are great but its going to be a long read.
I'll update as I go

RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Pckts - 08-08-2020

Bad news, the Pantanal is burning again this year and its looking like another bad one.

RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Balam - 08-11-2020

We have a new documentary on northern Pantanal jaguar where guide Ailton Lara is featured, as well as many of the jaguars we've racked on here for a while now. It's refreshing to have new content in a documentary form:

RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Dark Jaguar - 08-15-2020

Peter male AKA One Ear male.

Peter male and Estela female mating in Porto Jofre - Brazil.

credits: Karen A. Souza

credits: Terje Grimsgaard

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/4318_Pantanal_jaguar_couple_JF5.jpg

RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Dark Jaguar - 08-17-2020

Fantastic documentary about Pantanal jaguars and the animals from the biome.

The documentary was shot in long term and in very high quality, it shows us not only about the jaguars habits but also how the seasons in Pantanal ( dry and flood ) affect the jaguar and the pantanal animals behaviors as well as their adaptability to survive especially on tough dry season.

IN ENGLISH

I had a great time watching this.

PART 1.

PART 2.

RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Dark Jaguar - 08-18-2020

2 Young males playing in Pantanal.

Nice powerful knockdown at 1:46 min though.