WildFact
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage (/topic-avoca-male-lions-and-their-male-lineage)

RE: Avoca male lions - Cath2020 - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 02:59 AM)239Pu Wrote: is it known which of the Southern Avoca is more dominant?
Credit: Phillip Blackie Swarts

*This image is copyright of its original author

As far as I recall, these two are very much equal with each other.  I believe that is why they've been dominant and successful for as long as they have been in pretty hostile territory.  They are always together, in tandem.  I even saw footage once where they were 'swap mating' with a lioness.  Granted, that may not be what they always do, but I thought it was not typical for even blood brother coalition partners....

RE: Avoca male lions - Potato - 08-22-2021

RE: Avoca male lions - lionuk - 08-22-2021

Dark Mane Avoca. 
Photo credit: A.J.N Experience

RE: Avoca male lions - Potato - 08-25-2021

Update from Legend Safaris on Avocas at Mala Mala:

Day 1 - Afternoon Safari Highlights

We then entered a sighting of a male lion from the Northern Avoca coalition (Blond mane) who was very close to camp. He was sleeping and we hoped that we would wake up and roar but unfortunately he turned over and carried on sleeping. We let him be and returned to camp. As we started dinner he began roaring and has been roaring non stop every minutes.

Day 2 - Morning & Afternoon Safari Highlights

Our afternoon drive stared in the area where the female leopard crossed out hoping she’d come back in but she wasn’t around. We spent time with buffalo and elephant herds in the Sand River and made our way to a lion sighting with a male (Mohawk, Northern Avoca) and a lioness from the Kambula pride. They were flat and we let them be.
We then entered a sighting of a huge male leopard (Maxims male) up a Jackalberry tree who was relaxed and full bellied.
We left him and located 3 lion cubs from the Kambula pride across the river.

RE: Avoca male lions - BA0701 - 08-25-2021

Dark Mane could care less, that he is shoving his face into the briars, in order to feed on a zebra carcass.

RE: Avoca male lions - 1999gc8 - 08-26-2021

A young elephant charged Dark Mane so he turned around and attacked it.

RE: Avoca male lions - lionuk - 08-26-2021

Mohawk seen today in Londolozi
Photo credit: K. Joscelyne

RE: Avoca male lions - Potato - 08-27-2021

Description of Elephant Plains says it is Dark Mane, but it is clearly Blondie on the photo.

“Dark Mane Avoca early morning with the sun rising behind him. He was contact calling in the morning to try and locate some of the pride members.“ - @rianboshoff

RE: Avoca male lions - Potato - 08-27-2021

The insurgence of the Northern Avoca Males into Londolozi continues. A huge statement was made by this particular male who was found in the central parts of the reserve mating with one of the Ntsevu lionesses.

[i]Confidence is key, this Avoca Male now deep within the Birmingham Males’ territory,[/i]

[i]
[/i]

[i][i]Another Ntsevu Female Laying not too far away had lifted her head and began grooming, catching this male’s attention as he was already on edge.[/i][/i]

[i][i]
[/i]
[/i]

RE: Avoca male lions - Tonpa - 08-27-2021

Dark Mane in all his masculine glory 

RE: Avoca male lions - lionuk - 08-29-2021

1/2 Southern Avoca Male looking fantastic. 
Picture taken in KNP.
Picture credit: Big On Wild

RE: Avoca male lions - Potato - 08-29-2021

One of the Northern Avoca males heading southwards into Gowrie male territory.

The Northern Avoca Males make a bold statement as they are found just to the north of the Londolozi camps, and spend the evening calling, proclaiming this section of the reserve. The following morning one of the Two Avoca Males is then found mating with a Ntsevu Female, quite far into the Birmingham Males’ territory.

Blondie is still a bit limping.

RE: Avoca male lions - Tr1x24 - 08-29-2021

(08-29-2021, 07:24 PM)Potato Wrote: The Northern Avoca Males make a bold statement as they are found just to the north of the Londolozi camps, and spend the evening calling, proclaiming this section of the reserve. The following morning one of the Two Avoca Males is then found mating with a Ntsevu Female, quite far into the Birmingham Males’ territory.

Northern Londolozi is Avocas territory for over a year now..

(08-29-2021, 07:43 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 07:24 PM)Potato Wrote: The Northern Avoca Males make a bold statement as they are found just to the north of the Londolozi camps, and spend the evening calling, proclaiming this section of the reserve. The following morning one of the Two Avoca Males is then found mating with a Ntsevu Female, quite far into the Birmingham Males’ territory.

Northern Londolozi is Avocas territory for over a year now..

Guide said they were in central parts. Also to be clear it is Londolozi's description, not my own.