WildFact
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage (/topic-avoca-male-lions-and-their-male-lineage)

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - BA0701 - 06-16-2024

(06-14-2024, 05:32 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(06-14-2024, 04:57 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote:
" target="_blank" class="post_link">

I guess this question (for clarity) is for mods or @BA0701 .   Will this be for “Avoca Pride” males and lineage or the “Avoca Males (N/S/) and their lineage.   Cause it’s now a good question as to where does AvocaYM tracking is best to go.  

He’s from Avoca but if different generation.

I have been treating him as a “Timbavati lion.
Yeah, this thread is for the N/S Avoca's and their sons. The young Avoca Male should remain as we'd treat any nomadic male, he'll get posted in the thread for wherever he shows up, until he becomes territorial/dominant, then we can see if he gets updates often enough to get his own thread.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Ngonya - 06-18-2024

1/3 Nkuhuma young male in Kruger, by @drhamzawala

*This image is copyright of its original author

Another young male posted by the same author, i can't tell for sure if thats another Nkuhuma boy or not, hopefully someone can. 

Earlier today, 1/3 Nkuhuma young male in Kruger with a lioness
S36, 4.8km NorthWest of Jones Dam road - Near Skukuza
by CornelisBotha

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - KM600 - 06-18-2024

(06-18-2024, 01:23 AM)Ngonya Wrote: 1/3 Nkuhuma young male in Kruger, by @drhamzawala

Another young male posted by the same author, i can't tell for sure if thats another Nkuhuma boy or not, hopefully someone can. 

Earlier today, 1/3 Nkuhuma young male in Kruger with a lioness
S36, 4.8km NorthWest of Jones Dam road - Near Skukuza
by CornelisBotha

First and last photo look like Chelas son. That mane development on the second lion makes sense for it to be the surviving twin and just his all round face looks familiar but I can’t confirm.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Ttimemarti - 06-18-2024

I think all 3 are the same male

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - KM600 - 06-18-2024

(06-18-2024, 04:12 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: I think all 3 are the same male

Although it’s hard to see, if u zoom in on the second lion he doesn’t seem to have a clipped ear like the other one. Also looks to have a different mane.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Ttimemarti - 06-18-2024

(06-18-2024, 05:16 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(06-18-2024, 04:12 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: I think all 3 are the same male

Although it’s hard to see, if u zoom in on the second lion he doesn’t seem to have a clipped ear like the other one. Also looks to have a different mane.

Just looking at the nose it looks like the same lion out of l of the nkuhuma boys chelas son is the only one that has that weird shaped nose plus I have been purples eyes son in awhile so I might be him but I think it’s the same lion

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Ngonya - 06-19-2024

Once again, two of the Nkuhuma boys with a old Mantmhale lioness, by @ashleyburgess_travelagent

another shot on one of the young males, by @thibaut_mais_sans_l

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - KM600 - 06-19-2024

(06-19-2024, 09:17 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Once again, two of the Nkuhuma boys with a old Mantmhale lioness, by @ashleyburgess_travelagent

another shot on one of the young males, by @thibaut_mais_sans_l

I think Chelas boy will always be my favourite Nkuhuma boy but Ridge Nose son is just as impressive too. Avocas really have some great genes.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - KM600 - 06-20-2024

Sand River Pride youngsters - 3 males + 1 female. Quite a few males are leaving their natal pride with their sisters around Sabi Sands, u have these lot and the new S65 males on top of the obvious one being the Kambulas. Hopefully these females eventually go back as they prolly still have time to be reaccepted as opposed to the difficulties the Kambula female will face. 

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Ttimemarti - 06-20-2024

Yeah the dominant males aren’t able to hang onto their prides long enough for their offspring to have a greater chance of survival 3 years old is good but if they run up on an older coalition it will not be good so when the males aren’t able to hang onto their territory even the young females are forced to leave with their brothers and many don’t make it. That’s what I’ve seen happen more recently

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Tr1x24 - 06-20-2024

(06-19-2024, 09:17 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Once again, two of the Nkuhuma boys with a old Mantmhale lioness, by

Still nothing on 3rd male?

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - KM600 - 06-23-2024

Mohawk spotted with Khanya. Funny to me how Khanya split off from the Nkuhumas to follow buffalo and along the way ended up bumping into Mohawk. These boys love their buffalo.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - GhostCatP-22 - 06-23-2024

(06-23-2024, 07:22 PM)KM600 Wrote: Mohawk spotted with Khanya. Funny to me how Khanya split off from the Nkuhumas to follow buffalo and along the way ended up bumping into Mohawk. These boys love their buffalo.

I think Mohawk just didn’t fully recognize Khanya at first. Khanya was doing little contact calls so he didn’t surprise Mohawk.
Hopefully the boys can take down a Buffalo together.
So happy the 2 are safe and really strong and muscular.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - KM600 - 06-23-2024

(06-23-2024, 07:40 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
(06-23-2024, 07:22 PM)KM600 Wrote: Mohawk spotted with Khanya. Funny to me how Khanya split off from the Nkuhumas to follow buffalo and along the way ended up bumping into Mohawk. These boys love their buffalo.

I think Mohawk just didn’t fully recognize Khanya at first. Khanya was doing little contact calls so he didn’t surprise Mohawk.

They both look in good shape so they may have already hunted together, wouldn’t surprise me the slightest. I always find it such a shame that we never see the first interactions between these lions, this is obviously me assuming this isn’t their first interaction because of how they reacted to the presence of one another.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - BA0701 - 06-23-2024

(06-23-2024, 08:11 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(06-23-2024, 07:40 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:

They both look in good shape so they may have already hunted together, wouldn’t surprise me the slightest. I always find it such a shame that we never see the first interactions between these lions, this is obviously me assuming this isn’t their first interaction because of how they reacted to the presence of one another.

While we know they have been in each others presence in the past, we have no idea how well lion's memories work. However, we may be witnessing their first interaction in this regard, as you can see Mohawk baring his teeth, a little, possibly hissing (or the lion equivalent) as we we see other cats do sometimes, as Khanya approaches him. He isn't growling or roaring, so perhaps they have been in one another's company for a period of time already, but he is clearly not totally at ease either.