WildFact
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage (/topic-avoca-male-lions-and-their-male-lineage)

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Friarfan619 - 06-14-2024

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - criollo2mil - 06-14-2024

The Nkuhuma YM from the 2021 generation here a few days ago w a small group of the pride was today seen alone around Djuma affect few days missing.

(06-14-2024, 04:57 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote:

I guess this question (for clarity) is for mods or @BA0701 . Will this be for “Avoca Pride” males and lineage or the “Avoca Males (N/S/) and their lineage. Cause it’s now a good question as to where does AvocaYM tracking is best to go.

He’s from Avoca but if different generation.

I have been treating him as a “Timbavati lion.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - KM600 - 06-14-2024

(06-14-2024, 05:26 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: The Nkuhuma YM from the 2021 generation here a few days ago w a small group of the pride was today seen alone around Djuma affect few days missing.

I would much prefer if this male stayed with Khanya for the time being. Been getting seen a few times by himself recently, much more than he use to.

(06-14-2024, 05:35 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(06-14-2024, 05:26 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: The Nkuhuma YM from the 2021 generation here a few days ago w a small group of the pride was today seen alone around Djuma affect few days missing.

I would much prefer if this male stayed with Khanya for the time being. Been getting seen a few times by himself recently, much more than he use to.

I agree and has been my wish as well that he departs the pride and remains w Khanya. He has no future w the pride and has been very lucky till now that at least three different invading coalitions have not killed him. If he insists in staying, tables can quickly turn and his luck changes

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - T_Ferguson - 06-14-2024

Mohawk playing a very dangerous game spiting the Xhimungs.  PCM's may not like that much.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Friarfan619 - 06-14-2024

(06-14-2024, 05:32 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:

I guess this question (for clarity) is for mods or @BA0701 .   Will this be for “Avoca Pride” males and lineage or the “Avoca Males (N/S/) and their lineage.   Cause it’s now a good question as to where does AvocaYM tracking is best to go.  

I meant to put it in timbavati but saw avoca first

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Tr1x24 - 06-14-2024

(06-14-2024, 07:37 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote: I guess this question (for clarity) is for mods or @BA0701 .   Will this be for “Avoca Pride” males and lineage or the “Avoca Males (N/S/) and their lineage.   Cause it’s now a good question as to where does AvocaYM tracking is best to go.  

This thread is for Avoca males who are/where in Sabi Sands and their offspring, not Avoca pride.

Content related for Avoca pride should be posted in Timbavati thread.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - BA0701 - 06-14-2024

(06-14-2024, 07:37 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote:
(06-14-2024, 05:32 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:

I guess this question (for clarity) is for mods or @BA0701 .   Will this be for “Avoca Pride” males and lineage or the “Avoca Males (N/S/) and their lineage.   Cause it’s now a good question as to where does AvocaYM tracking is best to go.  

As mentioned by @Tr1x24 , posts regarding the Avoca Pride and their offspring belongs in the Timbavati thread. Hope that helps to answer your question.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Mapokser - 06-14-2024

@sik94 Mohawk couldn't even dominate one of his 3yo sons in a carcass once.

He is old and skinny, his sons big, strong and 4,5-5yo now.

Only reasons lions split in such scenarios are A) they're much stronger than their partners and want to get to a better area alone, like DM Avoca; B) They're much weaker and are having trouble competing for food and/or mating opportunities.

Mohawk is clearly option B.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - RookiePundit - 06-15-2024

Older lions sometimes prefer to return to areas they know well, when they feel getting weaker. Not necessarily to die there but... Mohawks is not weak yet, but it might be factor as well. If he still gets Nkuhumas there as a support system, what's not to like from his POV, if he is more in a survival than domination mode.

Just feeling like we are jumping on being outcompeted by his sons narrative way too much, might be multiple factors (including unknown events and encounters) and in the end lions don't always act logically and rationally ("by the book") nor they have maps and info we have (and usually we don't have some of the info they have, to see the whole picture from their POV).

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Ttimemarti - 06-15-2024

Basically what I think happened to a what he did to darkmane sorta kinda I guess that’s why he was seen alone first then back in sabi sands

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Friarfan619 - 06-15-2024

I think he was constantly going solo,  tried to force it, and then got tired of hanging with teenagers

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Tr1x24 - 06-16-2024

Did anyone notice how this male is similar to his now gone, older brother Lip Scar? He even has lip scar in exact place.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - KM600 - 06-16-2024

(06-16-2024, 03:08 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Did anyone notice how this male is similar to his now gone, older brother Lip Scar? He even has lip scar in exact place.

I think that might be dried mud or something, not sure if I’ve seen him with a scar near his lip although very few sightings are close up so hard to see. Then again, maybe the scarring has come within the last few weeks with all the different males he’s been around.