There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Varty

India Vinay Offline

(01-29-2017, 03:17 PM)Rishi Wrote: Well, if u wanna try an experimental project that has never been achieved before (not in large enough scale to make a difference) with 50:50 chance of success what's better than some expendable tigers in another continent?!..  
If one escapes can't pollute the local genes but will be swiftly identified & recaptured by the authorities..which would have been impossible here.

Also tigers live in a mosaic of woods & grasslands. If he can train them to live & more importantly, hunt in those scrublands..doing it vis-a-vis their natural habitat would be easier at worst.  
THE EXPERTISE & EXPERIENCE HE GAINED RETAINS ITS POTENTIAL. (Even if he is a fraud, hes one with a UNIQUE SKILLSET)

Take Ranthambore for example, its tiger numbers were poached to as low as 12..twice. That means today in the whole West Indian Tiger landscape including RTR, Sariska TR, Mukundara Hills, Kuno all tigers alive came from a source population of <dozen!!..
But we have tigers captured from those areas in our zoos that can fill the genetic void...Same applies for whole of detoriating genes of Amur & Indochinese tigers. HE might be "The one"..He might be the key...  Joking
Here are some of the grand specimens rotting in our zoos..what a waste!!!

*This image is copyright of its original author

Both are same leave few chickens in Jungle and see what happens next!!  ..... 99.9 - 100% will die within days.

This is the main difference between Junglee and Zoo/Artificial Animals.You may produce millions of Animals but they won't survive in their natural environment  as nature is cruel very very cruel.

2. They all are Cats and almost identical but

Tiger strength is Jungle
Lion strength is Pride(Pack)
Leopard strength is few trees

That is why Tigers never lived in India's West,Pakistan,Iran areas where Asiatic Lions thrived. Just imagine Single Big Orange Cat moving towards deer in open grass lands(savanna)  ..... it is just a joke. Funny
1 user Likes Vinay's post

India Rishi Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-14-2017, 07:16 AM by Rishi )

(01-31-2017, 01:48 PM)Vinay Wrote:
(01-29-2017, 03:17 PM)Rishi Wrote: Well, if u wanna try an experimental project that has never been achieved before (not in large enough scale to make a difference) with 50:50 chance of success what's better than some expendable tigers in another continent?!..  
If one escapes can't pollute the local genes but will be swiftly identified & recaptured by the authorities..which would have been impossible here.

Also tigers live in a mosaic of woods & grasslands. If he can train them to live & more importantly, hunt in those scrublands..doing it vis-a-vis their natural habitat would be easier at worst.  
THE EXPERTISE & EXPERIENCE HE GAINED RETAINS ITS POTENTIAL. (Even if he is a fraud, hes one with a UNIQUE SKILLSET)

Take Ranthambore for example, its tiger numbers were poached to as low as 12..twice. That means today in the whole West Indian Tiger landscape including RTR, Sariska TR, Mukundara Hills, Kuno all tigers alive came from a source population of <dozen!!..
But we have tigers captured from those areas in our zoos that can fill the genetic void...Same applies for whole of detoriating genes of Amur & Indochinese tigers. HE might be "The one"..He might be the key...  Joking
Here are some of the grand specimens rotting in our zoos..what a waste!!!

Both are same leave few chickens in Jungle and see what happens next!!  ..... 99.9 - 100% will die within days.

This is the main difference between Junglee and Zoo/Artificial Animals.You may produce millions of Animals but they won't survive in their natural environment  as nature is cruel very very cruel.

2. They all are Cats and almost identical but

Tiger strength is Jungle
Lion strength is Pride(Pack)
Leopard strength is few trees

That is why Tigers never lived in India's West,Pakistan,Iran areas where Asiatic Lions thrived. Just imagine Single Big Orange Cat moving towards deer in open grass lands(savanna)  ..... it is just a joke. Funny
Firstly..I dunno why u quoted my post, U don't seem to have even read it.
Now letz reply to yours paragraph-wise...
"Both are same leave few chickens in Jungle and see what happens next!!  ..... 99.9 -100% will die within days."

This is the main difference between Junglee and Zoo/Artificial Animals."
The zoo samples I showed are purebred bengals (thus not broiler poultry but captive foul in zoo), most not more than 3rd gen. in captivity..
They ARE too old to be trained to hunt, but with those genes deserve to sire CUBS who can be rewilded.. 

(Using Varty's METHODS, not his TIGERS)
"Tiger's strength is Jungle
Lion's strength is Pride(Pack)
Leopard's strength is few trees 

That is why Tigers never lived in India's West,Pakistan,Iran areas landscapewhere Asiatic Lions thrived."
They may have dominated those landscapes, but their ranges do overlap.

The Canyon tigers hunt & ,survive there..& as I said, "If he can train them to live & more importantly, hunt in those scrublands..doing it vis-a-vis their natural habitat would be easier at worst."
In the wild, expect the unexpected, as we humans haven't really much clue of what to expect.
1 user Likes Rishi's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
Moderators

(01-04-2017, 10:16 PM)Pckts Wrote: I've seen no proof of it.

@Pckts 

I remember seeing a post about this with a picture.
I think you too spoke about this some time ago, I guess you mentioned Guate was the original poster of that info (Im not exactly sure).
Unfortunately Im not able to find that original post about John varty and tiger darting.
Do you remember ?
3 users Like Apollo's post

India Vinay Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-31-2017, 05:47 PM by Vinay )

Don't know how any one can deny these marvelous pictures?? ......No doubt they are 100%  WILD tigers ... John Varty remained as one of the natures great conservationist who trained Tigers to be WILD and hunt on their own in African Savanna. 

Hope Bengal,Sumatran and Syberian Wild tiger conservationists also follow him and befriend wild tigers.  Funny

3 users Like Vinay's post

India Rishi Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-31-2017, 07:28 PM by Rishi )

(01-31-2017, 05:40 PM)Vinay Wrote: Don't know how any one can deny these marvelous pictures?? ......No doubt they are 100%  WILD tigers ... John Varty remained as one of the natures great conservationist who trained Tigers to be WILD and hunt on their own in African Savanna. 

Hope Bengal,Sumatran and Syberian Wild tiger conservationists also follow him and befriend wild tigers.  Funny

"No doubt they are 100%  WILD tigers"
Exactly, they're NOT!!!  Neutral (Not in tiger canyon)
Those zoo-bred, hand-reared, bengal-siberian crosses are his fundraisers & experiment subjects whom he tried to teach hunting by trial&error method..
Later in Laohu Valley, the pure-bred South China tigers can & does live a wilder independent live & (contrary to what u claimed) regularly hunts for sustainence in those grasslands...
"Just imagine Single Big Orange Cat moving towards deer in open grass lands(savanna)  ..... it is just a joke."
I don't need to IMAGINE

"John Varty remained as one of the natures great conservationist who trained Tigers to be WILD...
MAYBE we will say that 50yrs from now...

...and hunt on their own in African Savanna."
ONLY IF he can use that experience to replicate it with purebreds in Asia."

THAT REMINDS ME, I threw U a challenge..on that weird notion U have about tigers & grasslands
Fine, try & identify which 2 of these pics were taken in South Africa..  [img]http://i.imgur.com/2wnIXaU.jpg" class="max-img-size" alt="" title="">

U R NOT JUST A TROLL, R U ?!
In the wild, expect the unexpected, as we humans haven't really much clue of what to expect.
3 users Like Rishi's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(01-31-2017, 04:07 PM)YApollo Wrote:

@Pckts 

I think you too spoke about this some time ago, I guess you mentioned Guate was the original poster of that info (Im not exactly sure).
Unfortunately Im not able to find that original post about John varty and tiger darting.
Do you remember ?

When I went back and searched for it I found nothing other than what Guate said as well. So for me at least, he gets the benefit of the doubt. From what I've learned since from continued monitoring, I have become more understanding of his position and ideals.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
-Oscar Wilde
4 users Like Pckts's post

India Vinay Offline

(01-31-2017, 07:18 PM)Rishi Wrote:
(01-31-2017, 05:40 PM)Vinay Wrote: Don't know how any one can deny these marvelous pictures?? ......No doubt they are 100%  WILD tigers ... John Varty remained as one of the natures great conservationist who trained Tigers to be WILD and hunt on their own in African Savanna. 

"No doubt they are 100%  WILD tigers"
Exactly, they're NOT!!!  Neutral (Not in tiger canyon)
Those zoo-bred, hand-reared, bengal-siberian crosses are his fundraisers & experiment subjects whom he tried to teach hunting by trial&error method..
Later in Laohu Valley, the pure-bred South China tigers can & does live a wilder independent live & (contrary to what u claimed) regularly hunts for sustainence in those grasslands...
"Just imagine Single Big Orange Cat moving towards deer in open grass lands(savanna)  ..... it is just a joke."
I don't need to IMAGINE

"John Varty remained as one of the natures great conservationist who trained Tigers to be WILD...
MAYBE we will say that 50yrs from now...

...and hunt on their own in African Savanna."
ONLY IF he can use that experience to replicate it with purebreds in Asia."

THAT REMINDS ME, I threw U a challenge..on that weird notion U have about tigers & grasslands
Fine, try & identify which 2 of these pics were taken in South Africa..  [img]http://i.imgur.com/2wnIXaU.jpg" class="max-img-size" alt="" title="">

U R NOT JUST A TROLL, R U ?!

Here deer are not suicidal they know very well single tiger cannot catch them even in 10 feet AWAY .... That fkg Jhon Wasty shows the same deer at STRIKING DISTANCE and then next picture deer in TIGER'S Jaws in a FENCED AREA.... Same script in stupid videos too  Ha Ha

lol Only Idiots and Stupids believes that cheat ...Stop quoting me.  

2 users Like Vinay's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
Moderators

(01-31-2017, 07:29 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(01-31-2017, 04:07 PM)YApollo Wrote:

@Pckts 

Do you remember ?

When I went back and searched for it I found nothing other than what Guate said as well. So for me at least, he gets the benefit of the doubt. From what I've learned since from continued monitoring, I have become more understanding of his position and ideals.

Thanks @Pckts .
3 users Like Apollo's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-16-2017, 10:09 PM by tigerluver )

(03-16-2017, 06:03 PM)peter Wrote: PANTHERA TIGRIS AMOYENSIS - B

b1 - Introduction

After the first post on the South China tiger (distribution), I intended for some information of Marco Polo, Pocock and Mazak first and a number of articles on the period 1950-1980 later. After reading the questions in the previous post, however, I decided for a different strategy. Hope you don't mind.      

b2 - A must read interview (Kit Chellel, 23-02-2016, Bloomberg Businessweek) 

This interview will answer the questions you have, Rishi. It's lengthy, but very interesting:

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-...na-tigers/

As it's lengthy, I'll post a summary later. For now, it's important to remember that the the South China tiger, according to the WWF, is functionally extinct in the wild. There are about 100 South China tigers left in captivity, of which Stuart Bray has 19 in his reserve in South Africa (Laohy Valley Reserve). 

b3 - Mods

As Varty also features in the interview, you could move a copy of this post (or the interview) to the Varty thread. If that's not possible, you could write a post in the Varty thread informing readers about this post.

Copied @peter.
1 user Likes tigerluver's post

United States Paleosuchus Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-20-2017, 05:55 AM by Paleosuchus )

Captive cheetah kills 3 year-old boy on filmmaker John Varty’s farm

John Varty carries a young cheetah undergoing ‘rewilding’ on his Tiger Canyons farm © Barry Wrighy
"In a tragic turn of events a 3 year-old boy has been killed by a captive cheetah on Tiger Canyons, a tiger breeding farm near Philippolis in the Karoo region of South Africa.

Police spokesperson Motantsi Makhele said the boy was airlifted to a hospital in Bloemfontein after the attack, but succumbed to his injuries during the trip.

John Varty, owner of Tiger Canyons, confirmed the incident but said that it was not yet clear what happened. The boy killed is the son of Jacob Pieterse, a Tiger Canyons farm employee.

Police have confirmed that an inquest docket had been opened and that no one had been arrested in connection with the boy’s death.

Varty is a controversial and outspoken figure. His maverick strategy “To create free ranging self-sustaining populations of tigers, in the hands of private enterprise in and out of the Asian continent” on a barren Karoo farm in South Africa has its detractors. His strategy of ‘rewilding’ big cats seems to include cheetahs.

Varty frequently attracts controversy – including a protracted and crippling legal battle with former partners in Tiger Canyons farm and being hospitalised with two broken ribs, lacerations and puncture wounds after one of his tigers attacked him. He also accidentally shot one of his tigers, a new mother, in the foot. The tiger subsequently recovered."
https://africageographic.com/blog/captiv...rtys-farm/
3 users Like Paleosuchus's post

United States Haymaker Offline
Banned

Yeah I remember seeing a youtube video I believe of two of John Varty's tigers killing each other.  Sort of sad to see it, I always wondered, why didn't he break that up, because they weren't wild tigers, and they were just clutching each other, it went on for awhile plenty of time to do something, but eventually one of the tigers was killed I believe. 

I didn't realize he was in Africa, that's interesting, I kind have to agree I don't think it would be a good Idea to let the tigers out in the actual wilds of Africa if that is what he was planning.  Honestly the lions are really territorially, and I think the combat would ensue immediately. At the same time, I kind of wish it could work, it would be cool to have the tigers in Africa, it would be great to bring back the Barbary lion, increase the Siberian tiger population. If the Asiatic lions can do this well, the Barbary could and the Siberian could for sure.
1 user Likes Haymaker's post