There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-07-2015, 08:05 PM)'GuateGojira' Wrote: Good question Pckts, and is fair to ask it.

I tried to show the weights "empty belly", so the weight of 259 kg from Hewett and the Sauraha male of 260 kg are the heaviest ones from first hand sources that not includes stomach content. I have been thinking in changing the record of 1870 - 1960 for the male of 267.6 (590 lb) tiger hunted by Colonel Kesri Singh, because this record is also from first hand and is not too away from the figures recorded by scientists (Singh, 1959). That tiger measured 349 cm "over curves", which is equivalent to c.324 - 329 cm "between pegs", however I will not include this figure, just the weight.

I did not use the figure of 272 kg in order to avoid unnecessary criticism, just like I will not use the figure of 260 kg for the Etosha lion, instead I will put the figure of 240 kg, which is the empty one.

By the way, and this is for all the posters too, do you think that I should made a comparative image of ALL the Southern African lion population, or just the specific populations: Ethosa, Namibia, Zimbabwe and South Africa??? I ask this because these are the areas where I have data, from the other ones, sadly, I don't have any measurements and just a few weights.

Tell me what do you think, before to make my next image. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

what about the 250 kg lion from Timbawati?

2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Pantherinae - 06-07-2015, 09:26 PM
RE: Photographs of wild lions - Apollo - 04-22-2014, 08:03 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - sanjay - 07-12-2014, 10:41 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Apollo - 11-27-2014, 07:35 PM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Pantherinae - 12-19-2014, 02:14 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Pantherinae - 06-04-2015, 04:43 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Rishi - 03-24-2017, 08:59 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Rishi - 04-12-2017, 09:06 AM
RE: Best Manes - Rishi - 02-23-2019, 04:23 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Rishi - 10-17-2019, 08:28 AM