There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can legalised-hunting help conservation?

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-10-2020, 02:57 AM by Pckts )

Nicholas Mcphee

Interesting article and something all Social Media Eco warriors should read.

As i work in tourism i find it amusing when i read or hear people saying shut down all hunting reserves overnight and convert them to tourism. Well thats great in theory but most modern day travellers sadly want guaranteed sightings of habiuated animals in 5 star lodges or travel with a budget so low that costs alone are not covered and environmental impacts are high.

Very few modern travellers want or have a viable budget to do wildlife tours in remote, non established areas with limited infrustructure.

Before jumping on the bandwagon perhaps read about animal agriculture conflicts, loss of habitat, Asian Bone trade, snaring for bush meat etc. The media obsession with Trophy hunting is forcing the sheep to not see the real causes for drastic declines. My personal theory for the hype is NGOS hype of trophy hunting is so they can get more money raised for donations by clueless Eco warriors who's money gets eaten up on corporate lunches and does nothing on the ground for wildlife.

Even when bioligists write about the main causes of declines the media and socal media eco warriors will still rant about Trophy hunting while enjoying a Amazon raised Beef burger that probably directly caused countless Jaguars and Pumas to be shot.

I personally would love a day when trophy hunting stopped, but we must be careful what we wish for. Unless tourists /wildlife lovers want to buy up millions of hectares and start changing travel habits then its likely that blanket bans would cause more harm than good.

https://hughwebsterauthor.wordpress.com/...I#comments
3 users Like Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can legalised-hunting help conservation? - Pckts - 07-10-2020, 02:56 AM
Is Hunting Really Necessary? - smedz - 01-26-2019, 04:47 AM