There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can legalised-hunting help conservation?

Austria Brehm Offline

I see it with mixed feelings. On one side in the short term , the benefits from rich hunter's donation can't be denied: Huge ammounts of money and a tighter protection of demanded species. According to this, habitat expanding should be easier due to the money. I think corruption won't have such a huge negative impact, because it would be pretty dumb to take the whole hand, which is feeding you in long terms.

On the other hand, there are many moral and ethically issues, which also can't be ignored: Animal conservation should IMO go hand in hand with the local people. If people are forced to leave their homes for animal protection -in the worst case without compensation payment- it could result in turbulences and violence in the long run. Animal Conservation should go hand in hand with the local population, because money alone shouldn't be the only factor, which guarantees the survival of endangered species. Virunga national park in Congo is a good example, where the locals are invovled and benefit from the coexistence with nature.
Apart from that, what message does it leaves, if saving endangered species from extinction is depending on the "bloodlust" of a few dozen people, who perhaps only have their own interest's in mind? Personally, i hate this thought, when i think about some -animal humiliating- selfies, where people pose next to a dead lion.

But still, it also can't be denied, that some hunter's played also an important role in animal welfare. Jim Corbett for example, who shots perhaps hundred's (?) of tiger's, before he made the decision to fight for the survival of this species. Or the Gir lions, which survived thanks to the hunting regulation in the first progress.

When i think about peoples, which rely on hunting, i also believe, that human's can adopt or share the role of an apex predator, to help in "natural selection". This, should be obviously limited to either very old, sick or badly injured animals, and the carcass should've an added value for food. It should be also limited to animals, which regurlarly are hunted by predator's. Mean's for example: Cape Buffalo yes, but elephant's no.

In terms of big cat's: If you despereatley want to hunt one, do it in a honourable way in a ritual with ancient weapons, like the massai do. A little bit danger remind's some people perhaps of the meaning of life...

If it happens comparable like this, it could work out perhaps. 

5 users Like Brehm's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can trophy hunting help conservation of animals ? - Brehm - 06-21-2015, 08:56 PM
Is Hunting Really Necessary? - smedz - 01-26-2019, 04:47 AM