There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 12 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris)

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-01-2022, 10:54 PM by peter )

WILD AMUR TIGERS IN NORTHEASTERN CHINA - RECENT INFORMATION - I 

1 - Introduction

When discussing Amur tigers, most of us immediately think of the Russian Federation. As a result of an outspoken longterm policy, new laws, a (unique) rehabilitation center and a lot of dedicated people, the Russian Far East now has 550-600 wild Amur tigers. Quite an achievement, as Amur tigers really walked the edge in the thirties and forties of the previous century. 

Only few know northeastern China also has 50-60 Amur tigers. In one district, females are breeding again. As a result of a new policy and a number of new reserves, the situation in the northeastern part of China has improved considerably in the last decade.  

This series has 2 posts, maybe 3. 

In the first of these, you'll find 3 recent articles about the situation in northeastern China.  

In the second, I'll post an article about a man kneedeep involved in Amur tiger research. Feng Limin deserves as much attention as any other biologist involved in habitat rehabilitation and tiger conservation. The second post also has recent information about the weight of some wild male Amur tigers captured and weighed in the northeastern part of China. All pictures posted in that paragraph were first posted by our member 'Apex Titan' in the thread 'Amur Tigers'.

I might decide for a third (and maybe even a fourth) post. If I do, I'll need to scan quite a few pages of books I bought some time ago. All of them have (authentic) stories written by those who hunted in northeastern China a long time ago. Back then (over a century ago), Manchuria in particular was known as a 'sea of forest'. Most of it is gone, but the northeastern part of China still has a lot of forest and reforestation has priority in China these days. If the Chinese decide to protect all of it, chances are that part of China will be a safe haven for the Amur tiger (as well as many other species) in the near future.   

2 - Recent articles about the situation in northeastern China

In this paragraph, you'll find a few articles informing you about the policy of China and the situation in the northeastern part of China. 

I'll start with an article of Kathleen McLaughlin (2016). It was published just before China created the largest tiger refuge in the world (the Northeast Tiger Leopard National Park or NTLNP). When scanning the article, unfortunately, a few sentences were lost. You can find the article on the internet.

2a - 'Can a new park save China's big cats?, McLaughlin (K), 17-08-2016

*This image is copyright of its original author

2b - 'Wild Siberian tigers rebound in China; more captured by wildlife cameras', Xi (Chen), Yuqiao (Ji) and Yuche (Li), article in The Global Times, published 27-01-2022 

In this article, published two months ago, you'll find a bit more about the new Northeast Tiger Leopard National Park (NTLNP), the cooperation between the Chinese and the Russians, the monitoring system used in the NTLNP in particular and the (far reaching) measures taken to protect the habitat:  

2c - 'The cat is back: Wild Amur tigers rebound in China, thanks to govt policies', Alberts (EC), 21-09-2021

Here's another good one. Although posted by 'Apex Titan' in the thread 'Amur Tigers' some time ago, I decided for a repost in this thread. Researchers think the new Northeast Tiger leopard National Park (NTLNP) could accomodate up to 300-320 Amur tigers (...). Interesting read:

3 - Map

I read a lot of articles about the situation in northeastern China. Most of them were interesting, but I decided for the three posted above. Unfortunately, not one of them had a nice map. This paragraph has. I found it in a WWF article. The map, however, isn't from the WWF, but from a recent publication in which Miquelle was involved as well (Qi et al., 2021, see above and the bottom of the map).

It shows the present (2021) range of the Amur tiger in northeastern China. Females seem to be breeding in Laoyeling only, but that could change in the near future. The new Northeast Tiger Leopard National Park (NTLNP) is surrounded by a red line (bottom of the map).

Right at the bottom, you'll see an arrow pointing towards 'Northwestern Primorshy Krai'. My guess is they meant 'Southwestern Primorshy Krai'.  

4 - Conclusions

This post has 3 recent articles about the Amur tiger situation in northeastern China today. Researchers think this part of China, now home to 50-60 tigers, could accomodate 300-320 Amur tigers in the near future. If this goal is achieved, northeastern China and the Russian Far East could have up to 1,000 adult Amur tigers in a few decades from now. A singular achievement in a time in which the natural world is struggling just about everywhere. 

The model used in northeastern China and the Russian Far East could be the only one offering our planet (and our species) a decent chance (referring to pollution, climate change and weather extremes in particular). My guess is we have no other option but to create a lot of new national parks and reserves in regions that still offer that opportunity as soon as possible. The more difficult part (limiting the room used by our species and implementing new, less polluting, methods of production) will take a lot more time.  

To be continued.
2 users Like peter's post

Messages In This Thread
Demythologizing T16 - tigerluver - 04-12-2020, 11:14 AM
RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - peter - 04-01-2022, 07:48 AM
Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:32 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-29-2014, 12:26 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - peter - 07-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-04-2014, 01:06 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Pckts - 09-04-2014, 01:52 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-05-2014, 12:31 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 09:37 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 10:27 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 11:03 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 02-19-2015, 10:55 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - GuateGojira - 02-23-2015, 11:06 AM